1/20 Workers in U.S. are Illegal Immigrants

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by bushleaguer, Mar 8, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. wetwilly

wetwilly Guest

american manufacturing

Unfortunately, the small american manufacturer has no recourse. The larger manufacturers can relocate their production out of the US to pay small wages. And that has been the trend over the years. The smaller manufacturer has to keep his COG and overhead low to compete.

Minimum wage is a joke...is only good for part time workers or those that live in the backwoods mountains of West Virginia. Don't look for today's american kids to go out for a part time job when daddy gives them a 200 dollar a week allowance, The kids are too busy sitting on their fat asses playing video games and watching TV.
  2. lamont5123

lamont5123

If you do that, they'll just stand five feet apart on the concrete to be picked up for small construction jobs.
  3. jras

jras

you wanna get rid of illegals on LI?
    pave the whole fuckin island
  4. lamont5123

lamont5123

Dave,

I do not think the bills would go up all that much. Because people would vote with their wallets and go elsewhere.

Yes, wages for illegals are artificially low.

But I doubt very much the difference is passed on to consumers.

It's pocketed by those who are hiring the illegals to generate even more profits.

Which is why the small business community is the group that fights hardest against any type of immigration reform or control.

These business owners simply allow advocates for illegals to be in the public eye.
  5. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

Obviously, illegal immigration is a problem because of its impact on both our economy and our security.

But I really do wonder if you'd be singing the same tune when you got your restaurant bill after the busboy took his $20/hr. I'm thinking no.

Therefore, what we need is a middle ground approach. Something to the effect of US citizens getting the jobs first, those that are left can go to the LEGAL immigrants in this country. Third, we need a system where the muchos mexicanos here illegally can be documented (legalized), pay taxes, and their contined stay in this country is subject to the needs we have for them.
  6. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie

Immegrants have many functions

-They are generally better at doing those unpleasant jobs we rather avoid like changing Great Grandma's diapers

-They are great for getting beat up and yelled at by angry black folk. Can hardly go a month without seeing some 6' 4" black guy pound the hell out of a 5' Mexican. "Whachya say you little beyatch?" Bam! Pow! "Ai ya ya no mas no mas!" Better they channel their aggression towards them than me.

-Excellent scapegoats. While our govt, leaders and their associates continue to fuck the public hard, fast and without lube, the average American can still point their fingers at immegrants.
  7. bushleaguer

bushleaguer The CDC

I would like to think that, in the beginning of your post, you are referring to the far-left (way far, that is) liberal opinion. In other words, I hope that most liberals realize that this is a real problem and not racism.

Ditto to everything you said. I would just add that one of the problems in this country is that the minimum wage is not a practical living wage. It works out for a teenage kid looking for some spending money on the weekends, but it doesn't work for someone looking to support himself. It would work, however, if you were living under the radar and weren't filing a tax return every year. Add to that the fact that many illegals drive around without insurance, head to the hospital for minor problems and skip out of paying because they proffer a fake ID and then disappear, and so on.

The other argument made is that many companies would not survive without the work that illegals do. Well, what that statement really says is that they get to take advantage by paying crap salaries, not covering them with worker's compensation, not providing them health benefits, etc. Do people really think that this savings is passed along directly to the consumer? Hell no - the owners of the companies pad their own salaries. It's the same as outsourcing to third-world countries.....only companies are "insourcing" this cheap labor and exploiting them at the same time.

I don't want to kick out every illegal immigrant that is currently in this country. But we can't just let 11 million people continue to work in this country without paying into the system. We also can't continue to allow 500,000 people cross the border illegally every year.
  8. lamont5123

lamont5123

In the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, it was good ole American teenagers and other young men and women who mowed the lawns, bussed the tables and cleaned the pools.

The canard from immigration advocates that U.S. life would get harder if illegal immigrants were suddenly sent home is bogus.

More U.S. teenagers would have after school and weekend jobs.

And the hard to employ wouldn't be so hard to employ.

Because people would be paid a living wage.
  9. rob load

rob load

Tired of hearing the Liberal slant on Ilegal immigration, Oh there taking low paying jobs, you were from immigrants blah blah blah.....

Now lets explore some the other side of the arguement:
    JOBS
    They take low paying jobs because companies can get away with paying that kind of salary.If there was no one to take those jobs the wage would increase.Americans would cut lawns ,bus tables if it paid 20 buck an hour.But illegals keep it low because of the viritual endless supply of cheap labor.
    UNIONS
    Ilegals broke the back of the meatpacker unions in the mid-west.Read the book,Fast food nation.
    HEALTH CARE
    Draining the entire system,look at states like Texas and Arizona.The hospitals going Broke
    SENDING PAY BACK HOME
    What does this do to the local enconony when illegals send most of their paychecks back home? Money earned here BUT not being spent here
  10. miss1971

miss1971 <b>SILVER</b>

i DO pay taxes in BOTH my countries....before i started my dog biz..i filed here as an 'adult entertainer'...i mean..how ELSE could i WORD it!!! lol!!! but unless SAM is sucking rubber WITH me........he'll have to live with whatever i CHOOSE to DONATE!
  11. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

110% on the mark. Plenty of Americans available to do those jobs, if the employers actually paid minimum wage or in the case of semi skilled workers prevailing wages, but as Ozzy pointed out we’d be paying a few dollars more for services. A small price to pay IMO.
  12. Ozzy

Ozzy

There's plenty of citizens to do the work..... only problem is the rich americans will have to pay a bit more to have their landscaping done and it might cost you an extra dollar or two at the car wash and your favorite restrauant. The price of newly built homes might go up another 10%..... and uncle sam will get more tax dollars from all those now legally on the books.

Just as an example... fast food chains on LI pay considerbly more than those in the hoods... for the simple reason that they need to hire locals to flip those burgers. Same will happen for those companies who hired illegal immigrant workers and now forced to pay premium for legit americans.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  13. scoochamenz1

scoochamenz1

they don't get only the low paying menial jobs. look how much the building boom was helped by non-union illegal immigrants. main diff? 1/3 the pay (if they're lucky), no benefits, all off the books. god bless america!!!!!!!!!
  14. Rokin

Rokin

LMAO
    Don't forget, that's how they got Big Al Capone.
  15. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie

We need cashiers too

It's a service based economy, nothing is produced here anymore, so it's not surprising that you have a large amount of undocumented workers, working for peanuts coming in. I wish the big chains would start using them as cashiers too instead of just using them to clean up at night when no one is looking. I say they clean some of them immeegrants up, wash and clip their fingernails and teach them to work the registers. I was on a slow moving 20 person line at Best Buy the other day and when I finally made it to the cashier, she scans half my stuff then just stops, gets in my face and sings along to the radio while moving her head back and forth. What was I supposed to do? Applaud? Sing back? She sang along to some Mariah Carey crap or something for 20 seconds until she went back to scanning my items. Jeez

And Amy, I hope you're not cheating the government and 120 of that 250 per hour you get for sucking rubberized cock goes to Uncle Sam :)
  16. Rokin

Rokin

I agree.
    My last sentence was sarcastically written, I hope.
    Whether we have low paid illegal immigrants here or low paid foreign workers over there (especialy china) we are dependant on these low wage workers for the vegetables and fruits we eat, the clothes that we wear etc... and if we get what we may say that we want (no illegal immigrants and higher pay for foreign workers) the cost of living of many middle class Americans would likely be much higher.
  17. miss1971

miss1971 <b>SILVER</b>

nah...welfare pays way better........if it didn't..... THOSE jobs would already be taken by US citizens!
  18. genius

genius

Did you see the 1st post of this thread? May not all that good news.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  19. Rokin

Rokin

I wonder what would happen to our economy if one day all of the illegal immigrants decided en mass to leave.
    I bet plenty of wealthy people would be upset.
    Who would perform all of the menial work immigrant workers do and have done for many years.
    While it is true that prior generations of immigrants were not illegal, the work still needs to be done. I guess if they all left, then the US citizens out of work could get those fine paying jobs left behind.
  20. Ozzy

Ozzy

And Hillary the loud mouth is calling the US a police state cause GW wants to crack down on undocumented immigrant workers.

The sept elections can't come fast enough to throw her out of office.... That is unless NYers want to show the rest of the country that you are indeed the stupidest voters there are.