50s east side

Discussion in 'New York' started by RuffToy, May 30, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. elmo16

elmo16

Fiorella moved further down the block, Blond Lisa is also nearby.
  2. Troutman

Troutman Paste

You're in a very nice neighborhood. Enjoy your stay.
  3. Guest1006

Guest1006

thanks Kelly, I appreciate your input.
  4. blondekelly

blondekelly

Not really any decaying neighborhoods in the City anymore, especially not that area.
  5. RuffToy

RuffToy

Just watch out for falling cranes.
  6. Guest1006

Guest1006

I haven't been to NY for a long time so I asked for advise and was told this area discussed was a good area to stay. I rented a condo for 8 days.

I guess I'll see if the neighborhood is decayed when I get there. From the photo's and such, it seems upscale.

A small patio, washer/dryer and full kitchen sounds much better than being stuck in a hotel for a week.
  7. thorntest

thorntest

Many of the points folks make about rent prices and the neighborhood in the E50's is true.
    However, I don't think anyone has mentioned one of the most interesting features of the neighborhood. Tons of Japanese guys floating around, especially between 49th & 54th, east of 3rd Ave. I imagine that might supply a built in client supply that doesn't come with other places.
  8. dampfnudel

dampfnudel

Now, I read that the girl's pimp was the man pulled out alive. As for the client, I thought the six men killed were all construction workers from the building under construction. Wouldn't it be ironic if the client was also a construction worker from that building.
  9. RuffToy

RuffToy

The report I read stated he was found still seated in a chair folded over himself. Did not say anything about him being undressed.
  10. NYC55

NYC55

I wonder if he was inside of her when it happended?
  11. Sambucca

Sambucca

I heard they were BOTH killed. What a way to go. Hope it was "after" and not "before".
  12. vbnyc

vbnyc

Imagine trying to explain that one to friends and family and SO's!!!
    You get pulled out of the rubble, probably naked, if you were in middle of being serviced.
    Aside from the fact that they'd be wondering how you ended up there, you have the added issue of explaining the lack of clothing.
  13. dampfnudel

dampfnudel

On a related note, I read on another board that the female tourist who was killed in that townhouse by that falling crane was a visiting Brazilian provider from Florida. She called herself "Laura". Her client was pulled out alive. I didn't hear anything about this in the media...yet.
  14. betty_snj

betty_snj

location and convenience

Pretty simple...cheap, furnished short term rentals, mostly paid by week.

No need for a lease, most girls are not legal in the US and they need a place not requiring any information. The landlords just want a deposit and been paid in cash.

There is a bunch of these kind of apartments around the city. When I got my place here, there was a girl living and working on the next building. She had a nicely furnished apartment and I wondered how she got it, not having a job to show a steady income.

She told me there was a guy who would lease the apartments in his name and then sublet to the girls in the business. This way they didn't have to show anything.

Working indy girls, when living alone (like me), are a gold mine for the landlords...they always pay in cash and days before the rent is due...they don't trash, keep the place clean, no pets, no kids...and they are discreet on their affairs.
  15. aceofclubs26

aceofclubs26

So the crane that collapsed demolished a brownstone on East 51st Street that housed the bar Fubar and was also the place a few of the East 50's Brazilians relocated when they were displaced from the infamous building they worked out of for years. I know that the brunette Lisa was the only one that I saw there a few times but I don't think she has been in the country for over a year.

Was anyone working out of that building recently? And if so, is everyone safe?
  16. Monk

Monk

I don't purport to be a reas estate expert. But, from the little I know about rental building ownership (and speculation) in Manhattan, it's all about potential future income and value as opposed to current income and value. So, for example, having a lot of unrennovated apartments in an older building can sometimes be viewed as a plus, because they represent unrealized value. So, too, is it a plus to have some turnover in the building. What you don't want, ironically, are those tenants who have been in their apartments for 20 years. Becuase they could very well stay there for another 20, which means your rent increases will be small on that unit.
  17. RuffToy

RuffToy

Monk, good points. You would think though from a reasl estate perspective that since this is a good neighborhood for numerous reasons, the landlords would exploit the value and upgrade these places. They could very easily get more for these apts for all the reasons that have been stated.

When I run through the CL ES ads and see the tremendous amount of 50's locations, it reminds me of the Red Light District in Amsterdam. Walk down E. 51St and shop the hookers parading in front of the windows. Wouldn't that be nice.
  18. nycjohn25

nycjohn25

The 50s' is near Park Ave and lex. A lot of companies are near there. JPM, Bear Stearns, UBS, Deutsche Bank, Etrade, Colgate and etc. It's near the target market.
  19. MrDurden1

MrDurden1

Wow I remember that brazilian building being remodeled a while ago. Whatever happened to the girls in that building, did they find a new place or what happened there?
  20. Monk

Monk

Many of the providers in the East 50s work out of walk up tenement buildings that are pretty run down, and, yes, relative to other real estate available, the rents are inexpensive. These aren't doorman coops, or luxury rentals with amenities. So, yes, cheap real estate. And, yes, transient populations in the buildings. Many New York rental buildings with apartments that fall under rent regulations have fairly stable tenant populations. In my experience hobbying in these buildings over the years, they tend to be more transient and run down than others. So, yes, this is more true in the East 50s than other neighborhoods close to midtown. As for the safety of the neighborhood, again, relative to other parts of town, it is safe. Once you put all of these conditions together, and the East 50s are a good place for providers to set up shop.

I thought the other good point made in this thread was the close proximity and density of hotels and businesses in the immediate area.

As for having street views, there's nothing unique about the buildings in the East 50s that would explain street views attracting more providers. To quote you "only in the 50s?"