a little somethin' for Carl...... Hey, MrNJ...

Discussion in 'New York' started by MrNY, Aug 3, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. perezj

perezj

SB is indeed all powerful!

I omitted the 's' in my original post since it is so easy to search the web for 'Dukes County". Slinky saw right through that. Please email me to claim your prize.
  2. JohnJ

JohnJ Repentant Sinner

Nantucket County

was created in 1695 when it left Dukes County....

John J
  3. JohnJ

JohnJ Repentant Sinner

There is only one answer....

Duke's County is Martha's Vineyard the Elizabeth Islands just to the west.

Orange nor Rockland county were never known as Duke County.

There were 12 original counties established by Governor Thomas Dongan in 1683.

The counties established were named New York, Suffolk, Kings, Queens, Richmond, Westchester, Orange, Ulster, Dutchess, Albany, and Cornwall (Maine) and Dukes (Martha's Vineyard and other islands). The last two became part of New England in 1691 .

John J
  4. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

The New York State Historical Association is a self-supporting membership organization that has no official connection with the State of New York. As a private, non-profit, educational institution, the New York State Historical Association is committed to the preservation of New York State's documentary heritage and the promotion of historical research at the state and local levels

I located the following paragraph in "Gazetteer of the State of New York" by J. H. French, published in 1861, located on page 18. I hope this helps.
    "Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, and the adjacent islands, were purchased from the Earl of Sterling by the Duke of York, and civil jurisdiction was exercised over them, under the name of "Dukes County," by the governors of NY, until it was annexed to Mass. by the provincial charter of 1692."
    I hope this answers your question. I couldn't find any other reference to a Duke or Dukes County in the State of New York.
    Sincerely,
    J**** V**********
    Library Assistant
    NYSHA Research Library

Looks like Slinky wins!
    take care HB

[Edited by Hotpuppy on 08-06-2001 at 03:15 PM]
  5. ghaydu

ghaydu

MrNY

Just Like MrNY, just opens up mouith, then watches the fun, Good Job
  6. MrNY

MrNY Subject to blackouts

here goes....

Staten Island.......
  7. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

Albany county
    HP
  8. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

Course just to cover my ass if you were thinking of Rockland County - Rockland County and Orange County were for many years just one county. The first town in Rockland was Orangetown which was named after the Duke of Orange and originally its boundaries covered the entire area of what is now Rockland County. So technically both answers are correct.
  9. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

Of course the APM is correct also since Martha is part of Duke County of Mass.
  10. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

Perezj

Orange County
  11. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Martha's Vinyard
  12. ishcabible

ishcabible

Duke County

Isn't this where Boss Hog resides?
  13. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

Is that Putnam?
  14. fender4

fender4

answer

westchester?
  15. perezj

perezj

Clarification on the boroughs...

Just a clarification on Bill Furnitures item above. There are 5 boroughs (counties) making up the city of New York: Manhattan (New York County), Brooklyn (Kings), Queens (Queens), Bronx (Bronx), and Staten Island (Richmond). The phrase "outer boroughs" refers to The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and SI, NOT LI and NJ. And when those denizens of the outer borough say "the city" they also refer to Manhattan.

Here is a bonus trivia question. The prize will be a reference to a private stock provider! We all (hopefully) know that there is a Queens County, a Kings County and upstate a Duchess County. When these counties were establised there was also a Duke County. What is the common name for this Duke County? If no answer in 24 hours, I will close the contest.
  16. godfather2b

godfather2b

OBI

OBI lives on but you have to travel to Key West to visit. Looks like a move
    from one Island to another.
  17. Carl M

Carl M Hanging by a thread

Excellent MR NY- in addition......

53. You forgot the Long Parking Lot aka LIE
    54. When SOB does not mean Son of a Bitch aka Seaford Oyster Bay Expwy
    #14 there were 3 OBIs- OBI North was in Smithtown- now town houses, OBI East(Hamptons) is now CPI and OBI South just closed(Robert Moses)

The hell with Billy Joel- how about Twisted Sister, Stray Cats, Ramones, Pat Benatar, Zebra(via New Orleans) etc

HP- Carl M (Stony Brook- Class of 82)
  18. littleguy

littleguy Gold

Man, Mr NY, great list. (funny but cold (Brrrrrr))

Re: number 9. So, conversely, evreybody from NYC LOVES the Belt Parkway ? Somehow I don't think so................................ Hahahahahahahaha.
  19. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

I'm just playing HP, LOL. My favorite person in the world lives on LI. G2B is welcome too!
  20. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

Bill, G2B- Guys, I was joking, my question was rhetorical. I was just grinding my axe a little about the need that men have to declare something "the best". It was not a Manhattan vs LI thing, so lets not get wrapped up in another long useless thread.
    take care HP