A man with good Republican values

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by justbill_redux, Mar 29, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. lamont5123

lamont5123

No, but being a chickenhawk and questioning someone's patriotism just because they have a different point of view should be.
  2. thezoos

thezoos

being a republican is a crime?

finally

TZ
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  3. lamont5123

lamont5123

jris,

Good research.

Bede,

I agree.
  4. both sides of the aisle are populated by crooks, blowhards & liars. fuck them all.
  5. jyris

jyris

Having some free time, I took a look at House Ethics Committee actions since 1972 that resulted in reprimands, censures, expulsions, or resignations in disgrace (the year is purely arbitrary, and simply represents the approximate beginning of my political memory).

By party affiliation, I count 27 Democrats, 7 Republicans.

BTW, I am not trying to make a partisan point here -- simply trying to offer support for my argument (yesterday) that corruption is not the province of any particular party.

IMHO, to argue otherwise is infantile -- not that that will stop anyone from trying.
  6. bear

bear

Nice bit of sarcasm, Lamont! Don't forget we had "Mission Accomplished" as told by our President years ago. I guess I should believe him.
  7. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

Dont forget that their "deadenders". Or in this case years.
  8. lamont5123

lamont5123

(Sigh), we, the majority on the planet must be wrong, then.

Iraq is not in turmoil. It is a young and thriving democracy.

The electrical power is on 24 hours a day, women have no fear or being raped by Uday, there is no occupation because the Iraqis have reclaimed their own sovereignty.

School is in session. You haven't seen those photos of smiling children in their brand new schools, given to them because their old ones had been bombed by U.S. and British warplanes?

Those improvised explosive devices are planted by the very enemies of democracy.

There are no death squads. Pay no attention to Shi'ite clerics' demands that men grow beards or that all beauty parlors close down along with cinemas.

Iraq is a democracy with a full secular government. There is no religious domination in the new constitution.

The media is merely focusing on the very few people who are being kidnapped and killed every day. Iraq is relatively peaceful. Oh, you mean, up to 30 people are being kidnapped and killed everyday?

That's still not bad. After all, one of our strongest supporters says that no U.S. soldiers have been killed in combat in Iraq for over a year.

Oh, the Pentagon disagrees? See, this is what I mean. The media keeps seizing on the tiny amount of bad news.

We believe George W. Bush is right. Iraq is the frontline in the War on Terror. Foreign fighters are flocking there to fight us. And it's better to fight them over there than it is to fight them over here.

Don't you agree?

I know close to 100,00 Iraqis are dead. But that's what happens in a war.

Dick Cheney is right. The insurgency is in its last throes.

It's just that last throes sometimes take months.
  9. justbill_redux

Hey guy get with the fucking program, the Republicans say Baghdad is safe, so it must be so. Here, read this snippet from a Iraqi female blogger and you tell me who's right

From http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_riverbendblog_archive.html#114357319665675277

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Uncertainty...
    I sat late last night switching between Iraqi channels (the half dozen or so I sometimes try to watch). It’s a late-night tradition for me when there’s electricity- to see what the Iraqi channels are showing. Generally speaking, there still isn’t a truly ‘neutral’ Iraqi channel. The most popular ones are backed and funded by the different political parties currently vying for power. This became particularly apparent during the period directly before the elections.

I was trying to decide between a report on bird flu on one channel, a montage of bits and pieces from various latmiyas on another channel and an Egyptian soap opera on a third channel. I paused on the Sharqiya channel which many Iraqis consider to be a reasonably toned channel (and which during the elections showed its support for Allawi in particular). I was reading the little scrolling news headlines on the bottom of the page. The usual- mortar fire on an area in Baghdad, an American soldier killed here, another one wounded there… 12 Iraqi corpses found in an area in Baghdad, etc. Suddenly, one of them caught my attention and I sat up straight on the sofa, wondering if I had read it correctly.

E. was sitting at the other end of the living room, taking apart a radio he later wouldn’t be able to put back together. I called him over with the words, “Come here and read this- I’m sure I misunderstood…” He stood in front of the television and watched the words about corpses and Americans and puppets scroll by and when the news item I was watching for appeared, I jumped up and pointed. E. and I read it in silence and E. looked as confused as I was feeling.

The line said:

وزارة الدفاع تدعو المواطنين الى عدم الانصياع لاوامر دوريات الجيش والشرطة الليلية اذا لم تكن برفقة قوات التحالف العاملة في تلك المنطقة
    The translation:

“The Ministry of Defense requests that civilians do not comply with the orders of the army or police on nightly patrols unless they are accompanied by coalition forces working in that area.”

That’s how messed up the country is at this point.

[SNIP]

Death squads my ass.
  10. lamont5123

lamont5123

justbill,

Again, good digging. The photo was put up in error.

Which goes to prove that many people who support this war will grasp at any straw and seize on any snippet even when they're not even sure they're right.

Which is exactly the case we have here.

I have a friend who says that the people who still believe in this war have no choice but to continue to do so.

They are like people in cults, he says.

Their entire belief system is tied up in the idea that somehow, George W. Bush really knows what he is doing.

To suddenly not believe would deal a crushing psychological blow to them.

So they soldier on, uttering outrageous falsehoods and lies, incorrect facts and spurious explanations.

All in a desperate attempt to avoid what most people in the world and in our own country can behold: The ugly truth.
  11. justbill_redux

Its the webmasters fault, techie nerd muthafucker.

[SNIP]
    We reached Kaloogian by phone moments ago. Here's what he had to say:

[O]n the way back from Baghdad some of the crew stopped in Istanbul as a layover. We turned all the photographs [from the trip] over to the webmaster, and it appears he took one from the stopover and not from Baghdad. If a mistake happened, we'll correct it.

Kaloogian noted that he brought back "hundreds and hundreds" of photographs from the trip. He declined to identify his webmaster's name, saying only that he was "a member of my staff."

Source http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/000213.php
  12. lamont5123

lamont5123

Good digging, justbill.

It is funny that some people are trying to claim Baghdad is calm when scores of people are murdered and abducted every day in that unhappy city.

If Baghdad was so safe, there would be no need for a heavily fortified Green Zone.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  13. justbill_redux

Hmmmm, I’m guessing you’re not going to like this either.

http://utopiaguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=552367&postcount=1
  14. Lou Grant

Lou Grant

Looks like someone hijacked his webpage. It wasn't just taken down, but redirected to some coin hawks. Seems like someone's messing with him.
  15. jyris

jyris

Didn't realize that "values" carried party affiliations. Now, if you'd have said that he's a man of no values, dishonest, ruthless -- whatever -- the evidence would seem to support your conclusion. Where's the party link to repugnant behavior?

Oh, that's right -- there isn't one.

Maybe it's just the nature of politics to corrupt the players and wannabes -- whatever party they belong to.
  16. justbill_redux

Or not, you decide.

Howard Kaloogian is a conservative Republican candidate in San Diego's upcoming special election to replace convicted GOPer Duke Cunningham. On his website he talked about a recent trip of his to Iraq and how the US media isn’t reporting the good news coming out of Iraq ( new Rethug talking point) and he put up a photo that supposedly he took on that recent trip to Iraq. Here's the picture
    [​IMG]
    and this is the caption he put under this picture.
    We took this photo of dowtown Baghdad while we were in Iraq. Iraq (including Baghdad) is much more calm and stable than what many people believe it to be. But, each day the news media finds any violence occurring in the country and screams and shouts about it - in part because many journalists are opposed to the U.S. effort to fight terrorism.

Problem is the picture is actually from a city in Turkey that was dug out by a Daily Kos contributor.
    [​IMG]

Read all about it here at

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/008026.php
    and
    http://www.dailykos.com/comments/2006/3/28/152755/284/758#c758