A Million Little Pieces

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gardener, Jan 26, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. lamont5123

lamont5123

Gavy,

I am glad you understand.

But I really want to hang with you and PB again.

Even get old Whitelightening out there.

But you know 'da boy is gonna pass out.
  2. Gavvy Cravath

Gavvy Cravath Moderator Emeritus

Financially diminished?? You are singing my song. I think all the fun of mid November to early January has me on the rocks.

And a little sonido on the tele is always appreciated!

Gavy
  3. Gavvy Cravath

Thanks, gardener

Gavy
  4. lamont5123

lamont5123

I think the attention to this book has a lot to do with the incredible amount of name recognition, star power and influence that Oprah Winfrey has.

If she had not endorsed the book and encouraged people to buy it, little of this controversy would have been made.
  5. bushleaguer

bushleaguer The CDC

The whole Bible debate aside, I think that both James Frey and his publisher bear the responsibility. What's ironic is that the book is selling just as fast now then it was when people thought it was fact rather than fiction. The publisher is looking to make $$, and I doubt cares whether his story was entirely accurate or not. As for the author, I don't know what his motivation was. I do remember reading that he initially was trying to get it published as fiction, so perhaps the publisher did the switch knowing that it would sell a lot better if the reader thought he/she was reading a true account. I did read "A Million Little Pieces," and I thought it was riveting. When you come to the realization that a good portion (if not most) of it was a figment of his imagination...it really loses that resonance. Hence the switch from fiction to memoir.

I see this story sort of mirroring the dynamics of UG here. I've been blasted by people for posting "fiction," as have others (most recently, a guy with the username BBGun). There have been conspiracy theories and the like thrown around, but at the heart of it is the disdain that people have for the thought that someone would register on the board here and post stuff that didn't happen. People get downright outraged at the notion. So I can understand the outrage that some people express at James Frey and his "memoir" because of this.
  6. lamont5123

lamont5123

Gavy,

I am here.

Man, you have no idea how many times I've wanted to call you just to shoot the shit.

I'm a just a bit financially diminished right now.
  7. gardener

gardener

See instructions here
  8. Gavvy Cravath

Again, the publisher releasing something as non-fiction and turning out to be debunked is a problem because readers might indeed doubt authors from the same said publisher. A long-winded sentence, I know. It may indeed be a good read, but the publisher looks bad here becuase it was marketed as a "real life story of drug addiction and triumph" blah, blah, blah...

It may indeed be a very good read, but the publishers credibility takes a shot.

Listen, I have my doubts, but I why rain on anyone's parade. When you start talking religious fanatic (forcing views on others), that's where I REALLY have problems (i.e. Islamo-terrorists, Christian scientists, etc.). Speaking of fanatics, the group of Hassidic Jews in Brooklyn that had warring brothers arguing over which one of them is the legit Messiah kind of amuses me, though.

Sincerely in the name of mongering,
    Gavy

PS ~ How did you "underline"? Also, how do you "boldface"? Hope this doesn't take our discussion to far off topic.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  9. gardener

gardener

If author spreads misinformation / lies about other people, that could be hurtful / harmful to them / their reputation, that would be wrong.
    If author is running (intends to run) for office, and the misinformation provides some advantages over other candidates, that would be wrong.
    Both possibilities (as far as I know) not applied. Is it a good enjoyable read? Probably so, and that the only thing that matter.

The key words "generally accepted", more likely refer to the masses who's interpreting those fantasies literally (look Intelligent design "science" bull...).
  10. Gavvy Cravath

Regarding the Bible. I believe it is generally accepted that the first book of the Bible/Torah ~ Genesis ~ is didactic fiction (stories with a moral, etc.). After that, Abraham is the first historical figure that actually existed. Whether you believe in curing the blind, rising from the dead, being swept up to heaven in a whirlwind is a matter of faith.

I am 32 (33 in May) and have had my doubts for a long, long time. Went to Catholic school from Kindergarten to my Master's. But I have some serious doubts...please do not get me started on Cardinals Law, Egan, O'Connor. I will become equally enraged if someone mentions Bishop Murphy in Rockville Centre.

As for "A Million...", is that the publisher got duped and sold something as a true story without doing a background check on the guy. He had an editor, no? Editor should be able to check out the length of a jail term (87 days as opposed to a few hours). And, of course, Oprah got caught with egg on her face. I believe that this is the major SIN here.

Gavy

PS ~ Hey, Lamont, where you hiding?
  11. gardener

gardener

Sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't realize we have Kansans here.
    Of course, Moses crossing the Red Sea, Jesus walking on water, Jonah swallowed by the fish, are all (along with Santa Claus coming through the chimney) true, the whole true and nothing but the true, so help me Donald Duck.
  12. lamont5123

lamont5123

The Bible is fiction?

I didn't know that.
  13. gardener

gardener

Am I the only one who'e puzzled by the noise surrounding this book? Isn't the only thing that matter is whether it is a good read or a crap? (Didn't read it, and have no opinion wrt quality).

The attackers keep emphasis the issue of the book being a fiction and not a factual truth, and I can't help wondering what are they saying (or noy saying) about the all time best seller fiction (the bible), presented and sold probably in billions of copies annually as a non-fiction/history?