A rhetorical question for the Dear Leaders UG minions

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by justbill_redux, Dec 15, 2005.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. jras

jras

another brilliant insight into the global significance of biodiversity
    typical parochial BS
    (and lynching jokes are always such a hoot this time of year)
  2. Lou Grant

Lou Grant

Hey, I welcome jb's points of view. Some of his obscure references are good reading. Just leave the insults in Vegas.
  3. redleg609

redleg609

Well, I don't think we can do that without an environmental impact study. What about the crowds? Will they piss on the lawn and damage potentially endangered species of worms? Will they trample endangered roses? What other harm might they do. While lynching is a time honored American tradition, where is your Green Conscience, sir?
  4. Ozzy

Ozzy

Why wait... lets storm the white house and lynch the bastard in the rose garden.
  5. celtic knight

celtic knight

I don't critize Shrub Bush. I just want to know when he will be impeached or when he will be put in the dock at a Hague tribunal.
  6. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

Minion: A servile dependent

I don't listen to Bush speeches. Of course I don't listen to ANY political speeches, because politics is a nasty, superficial, conflcited process. I primarily watch what politicians do, not what they say. A minion would listen to every word of his master. A minion would submit to every whim of its master.

I like Bush because he isn't Clinton. He's not slick, well-spoken, entirely superficial, focused on pols, likely to alter positions to fit the day's events. That doesn't mean that I don't like a well spoken, inspiring leader. Bush is right for the times partly because he followed Clinton. And the times demand a single minded, highly focused person. Rove may be Bush's brain in terms of tactics, but the Bush will and vision are his own. A minion would have high opinions of all of his master's qualities because his dependency would color his opnions.

Bush is wrong on a lot of things: spending, kissing Dem asses, the recent McCain bill on torture. A minion would NEVER see faults in his master.

So the truth is that Just_Bill is a mis-labeler of his fellow UG thinkers. In fact, I don't think that ANY of the posters here are Bush minions. However, the mis-use of labels and language are Just_Bill's trademarks.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  7. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

....and as misguided as ever, I'm sure. : )
  8. Rokin

Rokin

I believe he went to Las Vegas on vacation. He will be back as strong as ever.
  9. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

BOOM!! Justbill down for the count!! Ten, nine, eight......
  10. Lou Grant

Lou Grant

Uh...what do you mean no one is allowed to criticize? You do it all the time, whenever you have a free minute.
  11. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

The old traditions were along these lines.

Former presidents don't criticize current Presidents.

When a representative of the US is overseas and criticizes his own commander in chief in a public forum, it is considered disloyal and bad form.

When citizens criticize their own government in time of war, it should be done in a somber and thoughtful manner.

All those "guidelines" are out the window. Criticism has become automatic, loud, without boundaries and without much thought, mainly because folks have discovered the power of the electronic media, which markets its content and its customer's products through incessant BRANDING. Repeat the image and the catch lines loud enough and long enough and it has power. Truth be damned.

The Democrats seem to be far more savvy in this technique, but talk radio also employs it quite a lot.

Personally, I think the old traditions were good for everyone. The forces that diminish our will to fight are not good for the country.
  12. jras

jras

it's the pub version of "don't ask, don't tell" (and for god's sake, don't think)
  13. argleby

argleby

Anybody who wants to. And they can expect a response, just as any Republican criticizing a Democrat can expect. Stop your whining.
  14. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

We've got a question, and it's only a little bit rhetorical. Who, exactly, is allowed to be critical of the Bush administration these days?

We know it's not the Democrats. As Joe Lieberman said the other day, Democrats who distrust George W. Bush need to "acknowledge he'll be commander in chief for three more years" because "we undermine the president's credibility at our nation's peril."

We know it's not senators who believe that the Bush administration manipulated prewar intelligence. As Dick Cheney explained last month, it's "irresponsible" for them to speak out about their "dishonest and reprehensible" views.

We know it's not the United Nations. As John Bolton said the other day in remarks intended for the U.N.'s high commissioner on human rights, "It is inappropriate and illegitimate for an international civil servant to second-guess the conduct that we're engaged in in the war on terror with nothing more as evidence than what she reads in the newspapers."

We know it's not peace activists or other antiwar groups. As NBC News reported this week, the Pentagon is monitoring even the smallest gatherings as "threats" and "suspicious incidents."

And now we know it's not our neighbors to the north, either. As Josh Marshall notes, the U.S. ambassador to Canada told Canadians this week that they should tone down their anti-Bush rhetoric -- or else. "It may be smart election-year politics to thump your chest and constantly criticize your friend and your No. 1 trading partner," David Wilkins said at the Canada Club in Ottawa. "But it is a slippery slope, and all of us should hope that it doesn't have a long-term impact on our relationship."
    Wilkins may not know much about Canada -- before he got the ambassadorship, he'd visited the country only once, on a trip to Niagara Falls. But he certainly knows a thing or two about the value of long-term relationships. An old Bush family friend, Wilkins raised more than $200,000 for the president's 2004 reelection campaign. Which means, apparently, that he's pretty much free to say whatever he wants.

Article linked from so called "liberal" site http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/

PLUS

We know its not columnists as the Washington Posts political editor John Harris said about Dan Froomkins “White House Briefing” washingtionpost.com column
    “They have never complained in a formal way to me, but I have heard from Republicans in informal ways making clear they think his work is tendentious and unfair. I do not have to agree with them in every instance that it is tendentious and unfair for me to be concerned about making clear who Dan is and who he is not regarding his relationship with the newsroom.” And the “they” he refers to is a GOP operative, former Bush/Cheney '04 webmaster Patrick Ruffini.

We know its not journalists as former NBC Nightly News anchor Tom Brokow told Jon Stewart on TDS, “Barry McCaffrey who was a consultant for NBC, retired four-star general, was saying we don't have enough troops and we were starting to get a lot of pushback from the administration for saying that.”