Al Por Mayor

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by One Eyed Trouser Trout, Oct 17, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Thorn

Thorn

Slinky, with cash flow being what it is just now I won't be going for a bit. However, that will change and we will speak of this again.
  2. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Between 10th and 12th ( Chapters, that is ).
  3. One Eyed Trouser Trout

One Eyed Trouser Trout #1 Cowboys Fan

Re: Guys, this you ought to know...

4. robnotbob

robnotbob

I need some new winter suits.....
  5. Slinky Bender

Thorn,

So when are we going ?????
  6. Thorn

Thorn

Guys, this you ought to know...

I may be speaking about something most of you know already but, here goes...

OETS, your post reminded me about something a lot of old time Manhattanites knew well.

That would be about cultivating contacts in the garment district at those "Al Por Mayor" wholesale houses.

Many of them deal in only the finest suits, being sold in top of the mark men's stores. A lot of them, if you get chummy with upper-middle and top level brass will let you in to "shop". Its not uncommon in the business.

They simply tack on the sale to a big account, like Bloomies, and pocket the cash sale.

They don't actually charge Bloomies for it, they just use the bigger account to cover an out the door cash sale that they aren't going to be paying tax on.

If you have an in you can purchase $1200 dollar suits for $350/$400 and $600-$800 suits for $150/$200.

I'm not talking "Syms" here. The stuff is strictly top draw. I'm talking about pants that are 3/4 silk lined, things like that. Its been going on for generations, and its the way guys like me fill our closets with the best.

You do need to know a good tailor though, as alterations are your business and your problem. Still, if you don't mind trying on suits in the back of a big warehouse...

[Edited by Thorn on 10-18-2001 at 05:22 PM]
  7. Slinky Bender

Why in the instant case yields you "to by greater" ??????
  8. skagen

skagen

Trouser Trout: combined with a Palm VII, this could provide great assistance as you traverse the wildly diverse streets of New York.

http://world.altavista.com/kb
  9. JohnJ

JohnJ Repentant Sinner

Garment District......

From what little spanish I know... and from the fact that this is in the garment district...

I would imagine it simply means.... WHOLESALE

John J
  10. One Eyed Trouser Trout

Thanks.

I was about to be a good citizen and vote for Al early and often.
  11. Slinky Bender

I basically means "no retail" or "to the trade" ( I don't know what the littleral translation is, I don't habla Espagnol. )
  12. One Eyed Trouser Trout

Ok...I saw this message on lots of the stores in the garment district. Is this a foreign language phrase or is there some guy in NY named Al Por running for mayor with offices up and down the street?