All-Time Corporate Song Whores

Discussion in 'Music, Movies and Entertainment' started by iusedtobeone1, Apr 6, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Yeah, I guess I should've just 'dittoed' that post...
  2. Ozzy

Ozzy

That was kind of my point with Springsteen earlier..... When he still could sell records he never came to award shows, gave interviews, was this recluse, anti establishment etc..... Once his records stopped selling you couldn't lock him in his house or shut him up.
  3. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Re: MJ and Stevie: African American musicians have always taken a more pragmatic view of commercializing their music, I think.

A friends quote: the only people that pissed off about people 'selling out' are people that don't have anything worth buying.

As far as I can tell, a professional musician is someone who makes money from selling his music, right?
  4. vermeer

vermeer

What about that fag Moby? his music is the soudtrack to every gloryhole

I wish I could sell out, but the white man stole all my publishing rights.
  5. you are correct. they are on Deja Vu. my mistake
  6. stranger

stranger

Actually, those two songs appear on the very first C,S,N & Y album, "Deja Vu." But you are correct that Graham Nash wrote both. And I also doubt, as you evidently do, that Neil Young (or Stephen Stills or David Crosby) has any ownership rights to them.
    Last edited: May 10, 2006
  7. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Stevie Wonder has to be up there. I'm convinced he writes his songs bearing in mind they will be used in the near future as commercial jingles.
  8. I know that "Our House" & "Teach Your Children" have been licensed to commercials. Both were written by Graham Nash and originally performed by Crosby, Stills & Nash. So what Neil Young song are you talking about?
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  9. argleby

argleby

Springsteen's a die-hard democrat. Letting them use his songs hardly makes him a corporate whore.

I'm also not sure how much control an artist has in some situations. Rush Limbaugh's theme song is by the Pretenders and I've heard Chrissy Hynde (sp?) isn't at all happy about that. I don't know if she could stop him if she wanted to.

I would think she would have to get some royalties for that, though.
  10. argleby

argleby

What are the songs? Did he write them?
  11. Ozzy

Ozzy

No one has mentioned the greatest corporate whore ever.... Michael Jackson.
  12. Ozzy

Ozzy

Springsteens songs have been used in democratic party commercials for which he had to be paid royalties. A commercial is a commercial.
  13. Ozzy

Ozzy

There at least two CSNY songs that are used in commercials. He had partial rights to each and he never tried to stop it and he gets royalties.
  14. Lascivious

Lascivious

MAn, Rolling Stones shilling Start me up to Microsft to push their Windows Operating Systems was the equivalent of Anakin Skywalker kneeling to the Emperor and pledging his loyalty to the darkside.
  15. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

If you polled all the characters Bruce writes songs about as to what corporation, if any, should use his songs, I think they'd all say Budweiser, dammit, what else?

Backstreet gamblers and lonely souls on the many highways of New Jersey love thier bottles of Bud.

Think whatever you want about their corn-flavored, watery, skip-the-buzz-and-right-to-the-hangover product (but we love it anyway), Bud has made some damn good commercials.

Bruce should forget his scruples and take all the Annheiser Busch money and donate it to cover all the afternoon ATM machine fees at the Playhouse on 130 for the next 100 years.
  16. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Funny you point this out. I've been a Dylan fan since puberty and still am, but after seeing that PBS documentary a few months ago, which consisted of lots of interview footage, I got exactly this impression.
  17. argleby

argleby

I'm not aware of any songs Springsteen or Young have ever sold for use in a commercial. And I know Springsteen has been offered a fortune by Budweiser.

I don't know if either has corporate sponsorship on tours. Personally, I have no problem with that.

I don't think Tom Waits has ever had a hit, but I know he's sued a couple of companies for using sound-alikes and won. I believe he got more than $2 million from Frito-Lay.
  18. And what is that Neil Young has done that makes him a "corporate music whore"?
  19. Ozzy

Ozzy

Kiss actually does sell a Kiss kasket... Dimebag Darrell the Guitarist from Pantera who was shot and killed on stage a year ago was burried in one.

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2004/dec04/20041214_damageplanb.html

[​IMG]
  20. Ozzy

Ozzy

Springsteen is selling his music, turning up on award shows and giving interviews like crazy now that no one is buying his records anymore. Remember when he was called the great rock n roll recluse?

Same goes for Neil Young. So much for the guy who wrote "This notes for you"... about corporate music whores.

Who wants Tom Waits music.... whats he got 2 popular songs twenty year ago?