AlQueda leader al-Zarqawi an incompetent in tennis shoes

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Ozzy, May 4, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

More evidence of dissension in the insurgency.......

SEIZED PAPERS SAID TO SHOW AL-QAEDA WORRIED
    Sign In to ****** This Print Reprints Save

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: May 9, 2006
    BAGHDAD, Iraq, May 8 (AP) — The Council of Holy Warriors, Al Qaeda's branch in Iraq, is worried that its cells in the Baghdad area are ineffective, with one militant describing their activities as nothing more than a "daily annoyance" to the Iraqi government, according to two documents released Monday by the United States military.

The military said it had seized the documents on April 16 during raids in and around Yusifiya, a town 10 miles south of Baghdad that has long served as a base for Sunni Arab extremists. The documents indicate that the group is worried that it is unable to secure a solid base within Baghdad, military officials said.

The documents seemed to be released as part of an American campaign to deflate the image of the local branch of Al Qaeda and that of its leader, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

The documents were made available four days after the military released what it said were clips that the group had cut from a video before posting it on the Web. In those clips, Mr. Zarqawi fumbles with an American-made machine gun. In the version on the Web, Mr. Zarqawi appears as a confident, skilled warrior.

In one of the newly released documents, an unidentified member of the group wrote that the cells in Baghdad are capable of only "hit and run" operations, leading the public to conclude that "the Shiites are stronger in Baghdad and nearer to controlling it," while the mujahedeen "are not considered more than a daily annoyance to the Shiite government."

The other document released Monday outlined the group's strategy in Baghdad. It said the Council of Holy Warriors should focus on the capital and reduce its attacks on Sunni areas.

Focusing on Baghdad, the document stated, would force the United States military to shift more of its resources there, which would allow the militants to regroup in their traditional bases. Those bases include the ones in Anbar Province, where the cities of Falluja and Ramadi are situated.

The writer says that the American and Iraqi government forces "were able to absorb our painful blows," enlist new recruits and "take control of Baghdad as well as other areas, one after the other."
    Last edited: May 10, 2006
  2. JohnnyDoe

JohnnyDoe

3. Ozzy

Ozzy

I'd say Zarqawi wearing his tennis shoes and showing that he lacks even the basic skills to be the hard core terrorist leader he claims is somewhat significant.

If you can't see the kind of effect that this could possibly have in the eyes of his followers, or those he's trying to convince.... A people who appear to live in filth, on the run, are taught weapons training from pre-puberty, told they have to die as martyrs in order to fight the infidels..... and the guy giving them these orders more resembles a healthy, clean, wheaties eating, weakling infidel running around in shinny new white tennis shoes with a total lack of weapons experience than the suffering freedom fighter he claims to be....

Well than your too busy buying into their propaganda to ever understand that significance.

I also think the fact that the US military found this video so quickly, or that one of his own people might have turned it over to make him look bad, so soon after it's edited version was released accounts for something of a major coup.
    Last edited: May 5, 2006
  4. Lou Grant

Lou Grant

Which has a greater impact in the eyes of the Arab world in the propaganda/media war:

Outakes of Zarqawi wearing Nikes and grabbing the hot muzzle of a rifle, or video of IED taking out a troop transport/tank/hummer etc injuring or killing American soldiers?

The military releasing these excerpts is a rather desperate attempt to try to discredit him while he and his boys are definately winning the war of propaganda. Hell, it has people in this country believing what they broadcast. We have a long way to go before we can even get close to what he's accomplished. (Maybe ask Spielberg to create one of him sitting down to a breakfast of Jimmy Deans and some nice lean bacon.)
  5. Ozzy

Ozzy

Reason Afghani's were used in Tora Bora was because that was considered the "dirty work". Of course it was a mistake, none of those people can ever be trusted..... But thats what happens when you try and fight a risk free war.

Greatest thing about this video is that it exposes Zarqawi as a fake in the eyes of his not so loyal followers. He's not the experienced militant he makes himself out to be. There's four year olds more experienced at firing an AK than he is.
  6. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and I give the administration props for releasing this video. Up until now, AQ has been way ahead of us in the propoganda/media war. Who knows though, maybe this video release indicates we're getting on the right track.
  7. Lou Grant

Lou Grant

Why Zarqawi will be captured or killed long before Bin Laden?

Bin Laden ain't blowing up his own people (for the most part) whereas Zarqawi has been targeting them since late 2003. Bin Laden is loved by his people, Zarqawi is not.

It is just a matter of time.

Wish I could say the same about Bin Laden.
  8. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

True Ozzy, but considering the general belief at that time that Bin Laden was in Tora Bora, you can't deny it was poor judgement to use Afghani solders exclusively. US soldiers should have been more involved looking for him at the numerous exit points from the mountains.
  9. Ozzy

Ozzy

How can you compare Bin Laden to Al Zarqawi? BL fought in Afghanistan against the soviets and proved himself there. I've also never heard a single mention about most of most of his followers turning against him.... where did you get that load of democratic party bullshit? He's a god to these people, even the ones not close to him which is why it has been so hard tracking him down.

Funny the same people complaining that we've not caught him would be the same one complaining if we sent troops into those mountains and they got slaughtered just like every other army has thru-out history. You can't bring tanks and armoured personnel carriers into those regions. Up there the playing field is evened....... just ask the soviets. There's also political issues since he's probably in Pakastan and we mades a deal with the paki's to stay out.... something btw I do not agree with. THAT is my issue with Bush. Once BL went there that deal should have been off the table.
    Last edited: May 5, 2006
  10. argleby

argleby

They can't get him because he's very well hidden. There are literally thousands of people looking for him day and night. Their efforts wouldn't be any different if Kerry had been elected and won't change with whoever's elected in 2008.

Btw, bin Laden is in his mid-40s and I've never heard he was feeble. Also, from what I've read, his need for dialysis is in some dispute.
  11. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Which only begs the question...

Why can't they get Bin Laden already?

He's feeble, he's old, he's on dialysis for Chirssake, he's followers have suppposedly turned against him years ago, and it's been fuckin' 5 years!!

This Country demands an answer, Pres. Bush!
  12. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

I love this story. They are not invincible, they make mistakes and there is a lot more dissension in their ranks than we know. I predict this Zarqawi will be killed or captured soon. We have a special forces unit that is supposedly making raids every night looking for this son of a bitch and reportedly was 1,000 yards from his hideout recently. They are engaging in pretty serious firefights, have killed a lot of his followers and have uncovered some good intel, such as the outakes video.
  13. Ozzy

Ozzy

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12630258/?GT1=8199

Al-Zarqawi is “very proud of the fact that he can operate this machine gun, and he proclaims that, and all of his close associates are very proud of what Zarqawi does,” Lynch said in a briefing in which he played a snippet from the video posted by militants on April 25.

But as the previously unseen video was shown, Lynch mocked al-Zarqawi, suggesting his weapon jammed and he was unable to fix it.

“It’s supposed to be automatic fire, he’s shooting single shots. Something is wrong with his machine gun, he looks down, can’t figure out, calls his friend to come unblock the stoppage and get the weapon firing again,” Lynch said.

“This piece you all see as he walks away, he’s wearing his black uniform and his New Balance tennis shoes as he moves to this white pickup. And, his close associates around him ... do things like grab the hot barrel of the machine gun and burn themselves,” the military spokesman added.