AMP Crackdown

Discussion in 'Long Island' started by Mikeinli, Sep 20, 2016.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. phcetus

phcetus

No, it isn't required. But, most people who have a pistol permit use it for target practice or hunting and they are required to show what they are using it for and history behind their request. For hunting you do need to study and pass an exam, for target practice most people take a course or multiple courses on handling and safekeeping of guns and that is all taken into consideration in your application for a permit. So while it is not mandatory to take instruction it also is not mandatory to issue the license or permit.
    sixtyearold likes this.
  2. phcetus

phcetus

For NYS the required classroom time to sit for the licensing exam is 1000 hrs plus clinical time. The licensing is enforced by the NYS Education Dept. and the requirements are on their website.
  3. hardndslick

hardndslick

We wouldn't be talking about this if the town and state got their share through tax revenue
    Tonto25 and WizardOfAhhs like this.
  4. sixtyearold

sixtyearold

WIZARD...

www.op.nysed.gov/prof/mt/mtlic.htm

Here is your confirmation of 1000 hours of classroom study.

Also, I am far from naive and much more the skeptic than most. Providing a shoulder for my friend to cry on feeling some empathy for her, not giving her anything else in favor or financially, is far from "falling from it".

I have lived long enough and been surrounded by enough women in my life to distinguish crocodile tears from the real ones, much like faked orgasms from the real ones, and many of the other ploys used by women (especially providers) in playing a man.

Were this a situation where a friend of yours (primarily a female) was subject to a similar situation, would you not provide a sympathetic ear for consolation, as they might for you were the shoe on the other foot, or would you just tell them, "you broke the law, so you got what you deserve".

Warning friends before the fact (as I often do) is the more "friendly" way of educating them to consequences, and if they do get hurt, rubbing thier nose in it, is not they way you hold on to friends.

Haters will always welcome other people's mistakes, misfortune, and punishments... Until it comes their time, when they will usually find justification and claim unfairness for consequences of their act.

Sometimes those individuals may even be able to garnish the sympathy of someone who might really care about them.
    vad1 and phcetus like this.
  5. sixtyearold

sixtyearold

PHCETUS...I don't know the requirements for a pistol permit. I have never owned a handgun. I do know that a background check is stringent. However (and I could be wrong), I don't believe that mandatory training instruction on the use and safety of a piston is required to secure a permit.
  6. WizardOfAhhs

WizardOfAhhs

If the AMPS had as good a lobbying group as the gun manufacturers do - the NRA - you can be sure the only requirement to open an AMP would be the ability to squeeze lotion out of a bottle.
    As it stands now, it's much more likely the english proficiency, HS diploma, and legal residency requirements that keep them from getting licensed more than the 500 hours (not sure where you saw 1,000) of classroom instruction.
    And while I don't wish harm to anyone, I'm firmly with MDC on this. I can't feel too much sympathy for someone getting caught doing what they knew was illegal to begin with. And to them, it's simply a cost of doing business, and I hardly think it's the first time either one of these ladies has gotten busted. I don't blame them for crying the blues and I don't blame sixtyearold for falling for it, but I'm sure there's plenty of cash stashed in a very nice house back in Flushing to pay the fine, and they'll be back up and running someplace else in no time.
    phcetus likes this.
  7. phcetus

phcetus

Not that a drivers license, a pistol permit or a massage license have anything to do with each other but, a pistol permit requires more than, "Absolutely fucking nothing" or "A rudimentary background check". For those of us who have ever applied for a pistol permit you will know that it is an extensive background check. Maybe years ago for the 60 year olds (lol) pistol permits were easier to obtain but not in todays climate of political BS.
  8. sixtyearold

sixtyearold

BTW... Good point about the handguns
  9. sixtyearold

sixtyearold

Not being one to ignore a counterpoint, I researched current requirements for a New York State drivers license.

Yes, they have implemented a 5 hour classroom pre-certification requirement. Everything else has remained the same since I got my license back in 1970.

I feel so much safer on the roads now knowing that 5 hours of classroom participation is a pre-requisite. Lol

Also, my friend, while I will not argue the "old" part (acknowledging and agreeing that 63 is old), I will challenge you on the "fart" part based on the fact that you don't know me and that many of the 60+ guys here would also take issue with the implications of what "fart" might mean.

However (and I do not direct this towards you because, obviously, I don't know you), but given the choice, I would prefer to be an "old fart" than a "piece of shit" at any age. :)
    mikey86, vad1 and stmule like this.
  10. happyandy

happyandy

When you got your driver's license there were no classroom hours required. That has since changed, you old fart. ;-)

Of course the instruction is lame and the written and road tests are a joke compared to pretty much the entire world, but that's beside the point.

As for potential for bodily injury, this state that requires a thousand hours of instruction for a massage therapy license requires absolutely fucking nothing but a rudimentary background check for a handgun license.
    sixtyearold likes this.
  11. ptalover

ptalover

Sixty year old,
    I feel sorrry for you and your grief of a friend.
    It is refreshing (unfortunately) to read of the humanity of this busines, and not to just read about sexual encounters.

A few year ago I was very touched when a lady in manhattan gave me a very expensive wallet for Christmas , I treasure it to this day.
    I wish your friend well.
    hardndslick, genius and sixtyearold like this.
  12. sixtyearold

sixtyearold

Like I said, I can't argue the point based on the fact that she was not properly licensed.

However, having known her for over 2 years, gifts she has given to me, and the general sweetness and sincerity of her personality, if I did not feel compassion for her problem and distraught, I would be cold hearted.

If you are friendly and close to someone who you are fond of, and has shown you their kindness, when one considers the severity of this "crime", would you not feel a sympathy for their grief and financial loss?

She is one of the unlucky ones who will pay the price of getting caught (or as I suggested, targeted by a competitor), so that justice will be served in her case....However....

Compassion for others is not something dictated by what society determines to be legal or illegal.
  13. ModernDayCowboy

ModernDayCowboy

I'm finding it hard to garner sympathy. When you break the law you assume the associated risks. Every one of us assumes some level of risk with this hobby, and all we can do is mitigate the risk; some of us do it better than others, and the same goes with MP's operating without licenses.
    WizardOfAhhs and genius like this.
  14. WizardOfAhhs

WizardOfAhhs

Anybody seen my violin? I know I had it around here someplace....
  15. sixtyearold

sixtyearold

Just as a follow up...

I Wechated extensively with Lili this morning. To say the least, she is devastated. Everything she put into setting up this shop is lost. My heart goes out to her and she can't understand why this happened to her.

Admittedly, massage without a license is illegal and so it is hard to argue the point based on this fact.

BUT REALLY.... C'MON. "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"
  16. sixtyearold

sixtyearold

PHCETUS is correct about the 1000 hours of classroom instruction in New York State. In addition, they must have a certain amount of command of English. So many of these gals are FOB with no English at all.

Also, it is not enough just for the owner of the shop to have a valid license. Anyone who is performing massage must maintain a valid license (there is an exception if the gal is enrolled in a program of accredited classroom instruction and is then under the guidance of another fully licensed therapist while pursuing her required classroom time. Somewhat similar to monitored apprenticing)

Of course, they must also pass a somewhat difficult anatomical and technical exam that requires their ability to go beyond... "you want strong or medium" and "turn over". lol
  17. MayorSimpleton

MayorSimpleton

That's even more sobering. You really madet some good points on that example.
  18. sixtyearold

sixtyearold

And it requires absolutely no classroom hours of instruction to obtain a drivers license. All one needs to do is pass a written exam for a learners permit and then pass a very short road test.

No requirements to confirm that one does not have an existing drug or alcohol problem. Not even an affidavit to sign attesting you agree never to text while driving.

The bodily injury of others is at greater jeopardy here than most other strictly licensed venues, yet requirements are minimal, and individuals eligible, not much older than children (18 years old)

??????????????
  19. MayorSimpleton

MayorSimpleton

Out of curiosity I looked up how many hours to get a basic pilot's license:
    "To receive a Private Pilot license, the FAA requires student pilots have a minimum of 40 hours of flight time, of which 20 must be dual (flying with an instructor)".

Of course there is a written test and the time learning it but you need 1000 hours to get a massage license vs. 40 minimum flight time to pilot a plane ? ::: Scratching head:::
    happyandy likes this.
  20. phcetus

phcetus

Yes it is, you need 1000 hours of instruction in order to sit for the exam to be licensed in NYS.