Ana Lovelis @ C-Note

Discussion in 'New York' started by Duckman, Feb 5, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Casper

Casper

Bill I think Julie's should have one of you. After all you've played there often enough.
  2. generousguy

generousguy

the biz...it is grammy week we are all in town!

Jason you are on the right track...

Music is a business with too high an overhead. It costs the majors a shocking amount of money to properly break, the indies a little less.

A&R execs are business marketing people, not music people, they look for product that will sell and will fill in a company's product line. There are three major traditional ways to get a deal (if that is really what an artist wants)

1) Street buzz (this is the toughest, most time consuming and costly way --- physically, emotionally and financially) A&R execs really don't go to clubs at all. They have a network of scouts and survey companies in each city (you guessed it they are really college kids - marketing majors) that report to A&R on the scene and what acts are hot and getting traction..this takes years and was done well by the spin doctors. Two issues here, this takes so long and so much money that the music scene usually moves on before these acts hit. OR the act gets such a big following that they are often better off w/o a tradditional deal.

2) Demo tapes..yes they get literally thousands but they do listen (hell you have to do something on that 6 hr flight to/from LA and on the 1.5 hr drive to/from Westchester everyday) to them if presented by from a credible source. The tape does not have to be so great but you better have talent and a marketable sound and good songs.

3) Know someone..this is really how it is done (Mariah Carey) if you have access to Davis or Lack or O'Seary etc. you are done - period. This is a small community and an introduction at a high level is the way it happens..sorry but that is life - it is who you know. I see it every day.. but it saves everyones time and money.

Too many managers will happily waste you time and eagerly spend your money and lead you on, and they are gross players that will suck you dry if you do break (and when it does happen , it is usually through no help of theirs!). A manager should be there to provide #3 to get you a deal (if that is what the artist wants -- these days it may not be the best thing).

However, if you are young, raw and lost and need development and direction then a good manager is worth his/her weight in gold (records!).

But we all love this business, the options for artists get better every day and soon the limits and injustice of # 1-3 above will be history ;).
  3. justlooking

justlooking

4. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

jason, did you notice the signed pictures of all of the bands who played at The Continental? CODA doesn't have those.
  5. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

jason:

Oh, fess up. You're a devotee. Let's tattoo it on your forehead.

D-E-V-O-T-E-E.

I'll be right over with my prison implements to accomplish the deed.

You'll hardly feel a thing.

I promise.

JC
  6. jasonbuju

jasonbuju

hell of a story Ana.
  7. jasonbuju

jasonbuju

Judge,

point taken with the props.

I take Ana seriously as well that why i hope all the moons and stars cross in the right direction for her.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2003
  8. fallenwoman

fallenwoman

Bednobs and Broomsticks...

oh boy... I knew this one was gonna find it's way outta the bag...

I have this "friend" (I'll call him Dave) who asked me if I knew another guy friend who would join us for some fun. ( The idea was not for him to be with the other guy but to share me and also to enjoy watching me and him as well)
    So, when the right time arrived, I set it up, and we all got together and started out by having a relaxing night having a few cocktails, and playing some hot erotic music, telling each other our hottest experiences. Before I knew it, I was being caressed and undressed by the two of them, one thing leading to the next... this went on for a couple of hours, and to tell you the truth, it was quite invigorating to be the center of attention!! So as if it's not enough for the two of them to be toying with Yours Truly, Dave says "John, get the broomstick and the duct tape! We're gonna tape her legs open!" They get the broomstick and tape my ankles to each end of the stick. There I am, ready for anything, and Dave takes me from behind... he starts saying to "John", "take her in the mouth!" and John, who's probably never done anything kinky in his life is looking at us in horror! He says "Is she okay? I mean, I don't think she can move!" I'm cracking up thinking, you better take advantage of this while you can because if I get free, you guys are fucked!!!!! So, all in all, I think they both had a fun time. But poor John, has never really recovered. Since then, I slam the door in anyone's face who shows up with a broomstick in hand! :)

xo
    fw
  9. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

jason:

I have to disagree with you about the use of props. That's what made the Shine gig suck as artistic presentation, according to my nephew.

When I saw the Lion Den's gig, the dumbest moments were with the Carol Chaning blonde wig, the "Lick My Ass" comment and the uncertain, goofy Andy Rooney-Judy Garland "Heh, Kids. We'll put on a show" tone of the stage patter.

For my money, performers are much better off sticking to a classier, more silent approach where they let the weight of the music and words be the work presented and invest themselves completely in that.*

Hence, the gravity in the stage presences of Patti Smith or Emmy Lou Harris or Janis Joplin or Peter Townshend or Bob Dylan or Jimi Hendrix - All of whom I have seen perform - some repeatedly through the years.

I'm not into fluffing so that I get a better session. I take Ana seriously.

And while I'm on the subject, I really hate the picture on the new pop-up on her website (Not that I've been able to open it up and view it. I am hopeless when it comes to computers.) Makes her look like some Cyndi Lauper bag lady. Maybe cool as an anti-beauty statement, but its out of synch with the statement made by the rest of the pictures.

JC

*Not that I know all that much about it as a performer. It's been years since I played guitar in public and I did that only infrequently when regulars couldn't make it. I much preferred doing the sound and fixing things. But I do give speeches and read poems in public still sometimes and have some appreciation and sense of presentation.
  10. Casper

Casper

I'm looking to fine tune my perfomances as well. Where's my damn phone.

Ana nice seeing you again. Loved the song list, LOVED the skirt and the woman that filled it.

fluff fluff fluff.
  11. jasonbuju

jasonbuju

Ana,

on a side note. I over heard some guy talking about some great broomstick story. Care to share?
  12. jasonbuju

jasonbuju

and music is about dollars and cents.
  13. jasonbuju

jasonbuju

I disagree. If you guys were my managers I would fire you both.

I do not think A/R execs are heading to the Continental looking for talent. No way. No way. No way.

I thought that the sound system at Coda and Shine were both much better. Also those venues allowed her to use her props, which I think are a nice part of her act.

As Ana said she is looking to fine-tune her performance/act etc. Great and she is certainly doing quite few engagements.
  14. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

jl:

Ditto. Even though I sometimes go to black tie dinners and am fairly middle class now, I dig places like the Continental. Place has been around for ever, if my memory serves me right. Was a working class grunge hippie shots and beer bar back in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Only time I ever got ripped off in a drug deal was on the corner there in July 1969. Speed freak bastard catnipped me.

I would have gone but for my son being sick with the flu last night. I'm not put off at all by such places - even though they don't rate being listed in the New York Times like Coda and Shine and aren't as traditionally comfy.

Art's not about being comforted. It's about being confronted by people who are confronting themselves.
  15. fallenwoman

fallenwoman

As always... I can't thank you guys enough for coming out in the rotten weather to hang and see the show. It is always a thrill for me to talk to you guys face to face instead of just behind these little white boxes we type into :). Kimmie, you rocked my night!
    Jason, as I said last night I appreciate all of the feedback I receive, and I believe you are on the right track. But my goals from playing out are not about the connections (which usually is a major role when bands are playing out). The only reason I am playing out is to become a better performer, and to make the songs and the show gel better. I remember at the Lion's Den that we had a set list that should of taken us 30 min, but because of the nonsense inbetween songs ended up being 45 minutes! (Luckily the time between songs is getting shorter and shorter. ) I also have been integrating new players that have joined and a ton of other factors, and wouldn't even think of trying to invite the industry people down to see the show until I have it all glued together nicely. We just want to play and play and play until we are an unstoppable force that entertains and is cohesive. By the way, we're playing the subway soon... :) no joke! Between myself, my management and my production team.... there is a master plan that we're adhering to. And showcases for the industry won't happen until April.
    But I thank you wholeheartedly for your feedback, and I owe all of you big time for always being a great cheering section! Thanks guys!

xoxo
    a
  16. Happy Hooker

Happy Hooker

I was??

Ana was GREAT, as always. She sang my favorite song" Polluted Heart" so I was feeling aight after that.
  17. justlooking

justlooking

In terms of the local music scene, a place like Coda is, like, nowhere, whereas the Continental is a credible club. A&R execs don't look for clubs that are "nice" places for middle-aged middle-class people to hang out. They go to clubs with street cred that are part of the local scene.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2003
  18. jasonbuju

jasonbuju

I just don't think it attracts a crowd that will help build the necessary contacts in this business.
  19. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

Coda's on 34th seemed to be the nicest one.

jason, you have to realize that these places are bars.
  20. justlooking

justlooking

WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT THE CONTINENTAL???????????