Arab Company in charge of U.S. ports

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Daddycool, Feb 23, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

Not that there was ever any doubt in my mind that keeping DPW from managing US ports was the right move, but this article just confirms it.

Apparently, the UAE can't (or won't) even keep computer chips (among other dual use items) exported by the US from falling into the hands of the Iranians and other countries that are not supposed to have them. Some of the computer chips have been found in IEDs in Iraq.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/04/02/africa/uae.php

WASHINGTON: Roadside bombings of U.S. troops in Iraq were occurring with unnerving regularity when military investigators made a disturbing discovery: U.S.-made computer circuits sold to a trading company in the United Arab Emirates had turned up in the bomb detonators.

That finding set off a clash with Washington last year when the Bush administration cited the diversion of the computer circuits to Iran, and eventually Iraq, as proof that the United Arab Emirates were failing to prevent U.S. technology from slipping into the wrong hands. Administration officials said aircraft parts, specialized metals and gas detectors that have a potential military use had also moved through Dubai, one of the emirates, to Iran, Syria or Pakistan.

[SNIP]

Why am I not shocked by this? Oh thats right, because the UAE was responsible for warning Bin Laden about upcoming US strikes on one of his camps where he was staying in the 90's. Ally my ass.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. lamont5123

lamont5123

Yeah, I saw that, Dave.

One day, just like all the scrap steel that the U.S. sold Japan in the 1930's came back to us in the form of bombs at Pearl Harbor, all this outsourcing of critical security operations to foreigners is going to bite this country in its ass.

And the problem is from both sides of the political spectrum.
  3. jp1064

jp1064

Did you know the AEC already controls some of our military ports!

If American companies would get off their fat fucking stingey asses and hire and buy and sell american... we wouldn't have this fucking problem. WE are our own enemy!
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  4. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

No-bid contract awarded to Hutchinson-Whampoa

I saw this news article today and the first thing I thought about was this thread. It'll be interesting to see what, if any buzz this creates compared to to the Dubai ports deal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/port_sec...I8aPoOs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

Seems to me that this is a pretty stupid move. I mean does anyone think for a second the chinese don't have ulterior motives when it comes to the US. What is this world coming to when we are now trusting a business from any other country to detect nukes on their way to our country for us. And the claim we have no choice in the matter because it is the Bahamanians call who works in their port. I mean come on here. Don't think for a second that if we tell them how it is going to go down they won't play ball.

And before anyone gets all defensive and starts mudslinging, notice I did not point this at anyone in particular or at any party in particular. Let's keep this on the up and up if we can. Anyone ever see lobsters pulling each other back into the pot? Hopefully we're smarter than a pot full of lobsters (fingers crossed)
  5. lamont5123

lamont5123

I must admit that Ozzy is right on about this mention of Churchill.

Most of the legendary Tai-Pans left Hong Kong ahead of the Chinese takeover.

Those who were wealthy in Hong Kong and who dared to stay when Beijing came calling probably had to kowtow to the Communist government.

I got this from a long-time friend who lived in Hong Kong for 40 years before he took off for Manila.

So, yeah, it's very possible Ka-Shing has been co-opted by Beijing.
  6. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie

Aw jeez, ya ya everyone knows they post some bull on wikepedia but I posted it for the photos. I've read some on those islands and saw an interesting documentary recently. The finest resort with 5 star hotels, fine restaurants, and sex slaves. Sounds good to me
  7. Ozzy

Ozzy

Problem is, because of his decisions earlier in his career regarding the British fiaco at Gallopi, no one listened to Churchill regarding Hitler until it was too late..... way too late.
  8. vermeer

vermeer

ozzy is the winstin churchill of UG. keeping us alert to the dangers of the great yellow peril.
  9. Ozzy

Ozzy

Anyone who doesn't know or realize that the Chinese govt/military uses private Chinese commercial enterprises to maneuver military troops and weapons around the world, well................... doesn't know jack shit.

And furthermore.... Hutchinson Whampoa/Li Ka-shing (which is oft called the "right arm of the Chinese military") has ties so close to the Chinese Communist govt that it makes Cheney/Halliburton look conflict of interest free.

JB... Heard that first mentioned by (I think) Trent Lott a few years ago. The numbers of troops might be skewed but there are Chinese troops in Panama just as they are in the Sudan and many other places around the world that would shock the American public if they knew it.
  10. lamont5123

lamont5123

wikepida is an unreliable source of information.

People post inaccurate information on there all the time.

Use a more reliable source for data.
  11. vermeer

vermeer

any country that promotes sex slavery is allright in my book.
  12. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie

The .00001% of the Arabs that have all the money certainly do love it. And they know how to live. You should see the luxury island resort they are building right off the coast of Dubai. I mean they are literally building the island from scratch. They made the island to look like one big palm tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Palm_Island_Resort.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_al-Arab

Nationalism and Patriotism are for the average American idiot who believes it's "us" against "them" and we fight for freedom and all that other bull. We have a tremendous amount of Arab money here. American and Arab business are heavily invested in each other. And as for the 'commie' Chinese, as their country starts filling up on such communist institutions like McDonalds and Starbucks and they continue to do business on a grand scale, just about totally stocking the worlds biggest retailer Walmart and their economy grows and grows, they will become an even greater economic force. Imagine a billion Chinamin running around consuming like Americans and driving cars
  13. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

That's exactly what I am saying they should do. But be realistic, it wouldn't be too smart to flip the whole card table over at once. First, stop any new deals involving foreign companies at our ports from going through. Second, re-evaluate the existing contracts. Third, make changes as necessary.

Any other way and our economy would come to a screeching halt.
  14. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

All thruthiness aside, just where did you see that the chinks have 10-30K troops stationed in Panama.
  15. lamont5123

lamont5123

Hutchinson Whampoa Ltd. is not owned by the Chinese goverment.

It is owned by the one of the world's richest men, Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing,who is also chairman of Cheung Kong (Holdings) Ltd.

Ka-Shing was making money long before Beijing pounced on Hong Kong.
  16. Lou Grant

Lou Grant

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  17. Ozzy

Ozzy

Sorry I mixed em up... Hutchinson Whampoa which is run by the PLA but owned or run by the Chinese government. The Chinese own the ports at both sides of the Panama Canal and have bet 10 and 30 thousand military troops stationed there. Can't think of it now, but there's one or two more Communist Chinese government owned companies that control ports in LA and up and down the west coast. Been that way at least 10 years cause they ran ports when I lived out there.

APL which is controlled by the Singapore government operates ports in Los Angeles, Oakland, Seattle and Alaska.

If all these jackasses when they say they don't want foreign run companies controlling ports or american interests... They should call it across the board and kill all these deals. It was something Schumer said about this not being personal against any arab country. Well Chick, if it ain't personal then how bout shootin your mouth off about the Chinese.
  18. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

Unless I'm missing something, Hutchison-Whampoa does not control any US ports.

http://www.hutchison-whampoa.com/eng/ports/international/the_americas.htm

Can't say the same for Moller-Maersk, but seems like they have been operating US ports for a long time now (30 yrs in New Orleans). Doesn't mean this shouldn't be looked at, but why let new foreign operators take control of ports while we're re-thinking existing contracts.
  19. Ozzy

Ozzy

Now that this Dubai Ports World has fallen thru and they're willing to sell the rights to those six ports to an American company... Lets see if Chuck Shumer, Hillary and the dumb ass republicans and democrats who squashed this deal saying this wasn't biased against Arab countries but that they didn't want ANY forigen countries running our ports will go after Hutchison Whampoa, a Chinese owned company with ties to the Chinese military or Moller-Maersk from Denmark.

Nah.... Cause they're all hypocrites and don't know what the fuck they were talking about. All they did was show the US is now biased when it comes to free and open world trade.
  20. vermeer

vermeer

bill clinton makes about $2 mil a year giving speeches in dubai. probably gets to bang all the 3rd world ass he can pork, as bonus.