Are we in the dark ages?

Discussion in 'New York' started by Slinky Bender, Jun 22, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. curious

curious

No Venn diagram?
  2. Thorn

Thorn

NYC has long been seen as a city of the have and the have nots. This was never true though. There was always a vibrant middle-class, even in Manhattan.

It is becoming true though, now. Particularly in Manhattan, but in the other boroughs as well. The latest figures, if I recall them correctly, have the NYC's middle-class dropping below 25% of its economic make-up for the first time since they started keeping such figures.

Speculation regarding the economic health of a city that has a disappearing middle-class is generally not favorable.
  3. BigMadM

BigMadM Linoleum

I was in Astoria this week, talk about the dark ages. Oooops, wrong topic sorry.
  4. UG Staff

UG Staff Staff

Very good analysis.
  5. Lascivious

Lascivious

JUstlooking, I'm kidding of course but, the damn whores were there first.:) That's the problem and I guess it's a good problem, there aren't going to be any "seedy" parts in Manhattan anymore. Every square inch is going to be filled with luxury condo developments and a mall like area to go with it. The ones who are going to be screwed are the niche population of mongers who just wants a little head now and then.
  6. harddave

harddave

On the same subject...

This is my first post to any of the boards here, but I thought everyone might get a kick out of this clip from a recent episode of The Daily Show, where they interview a yuppie dad who moved into the Castro in SF and objected to his kids seeing the gay sex shops there...

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/

Click on "Ed Helms" on the left of the page and select "There Goes the Gayborhood"...

The "reporter" says somwhere in the interview "I know how you feel - I recently moved to Queens near LaGuardia Airport and guess what - turns out airplanes are loud...: ;-)

harddave
  7. justlooking

justlooking

I'm sure you're joking when you say that, but I wonder how you'd feel if it were YOUR kids.
  8. Lascivious

Lascivious

I was reading an article a couple weeks ago about the residents of new Condos that were built in Hell's Kitchen or Clinton as they now call it bitching about the SWs roaming their neighberhoods. Complaining that when they're taking their kids to school in the morning, they see them working the early morning shift. HEy, the kids gotta learn that they're more than just baseballs being smacked around in their parks. Speaking of SWs, I saw a bunch of them hanging around 28th and 7th ave last week around 1am.
  9. theword

theword

We ARE in the dark ages. I miss the days when NYC felt like a place where you could do whatever you wanted if you had a little money and were willing to do a small amount of research. The research was to find out what was GOOD, not what was around, because there was so much action around you could hardly miss it.

There are a few reasons I can think of:

Insane real estate, both to rent or buy. The buyers contribute to the problem because when they have paid $500K for a studio they expect not to be living next to a strip club and not to have SW on their block. If you set up a UG club in their neighborhood, they will complain about it and get it shut down. The rents make the setup an expensive proposition for the promoter, and fewer people will take the chance these days.

The triumph of the "broken windows" philosophy of crime control. Both Democrats and Republicans love the theory that there is less crime in NYC when you crack down on 'quality of life' crimes which includes the sex business in most of its forms. The laws aren't going to get more permissive and not enforcing them is being seen as 'soft on crime' and is political suicide.

There are fewer clubs and SW's around but probably the same number of vice cops, who have to bust someone to appear to be doing their jobs. When there are lots of clubs, only the ones that make themselves an obvious pain in the ass to the community get busted. When there are only a few, they all get hit sooner or later.

The internet has made it much easier to be an independent provider. A lot of the girls running craigslist ads would either be walking the streets or working in one of the old-time houses/agencies.
  10. hardrobert

hardrobert

Much as the dark ages were caused in part by the "black death" perhaps the dark ages redux has been caused by Aids.

Oh I long for those days when Plato's (on 34th) had those Mondays and single guys allowed. They were not faux swingers nights. They were mainly inhabited by a lot of single guys walking the circuit around the pool and a fairly good number of couples that were regulars with a female that enjoyed multiple partners and a male that enjoyed her getting it on that way before he had his way.

There was one couple with a petite little JAP that would take a couple of guys into the back with them that I partied with a lot. He would tell you the rules which were bareback only, no CIM only in pussy. He would let you have her and then send you out to bring back another man or two. He had an arrangement with the bouncer where you could go back there by mentioning his name, even though you didn't have a female with you. She was cute, hot, enjoyed being fucked by multiple men and also really enjoyed eating pussy while being done doggy. Always ended up being pounded by hubby.

And how about the days of Atlantic Resources and Overture on 48th. Not anymore houses like that.
  11. milkman

milkman

is it possible that the hobby has changed because the enviroment has changed. i wasn't around for the so called sexual revolution in the seventies. but i was around (and still am) for the after affects. women these days are no different from men. they might still be called sluts but that is no longer a term that is to be looked down on. it makes guys want to fuck them even more. girl=slut guy=stud.
  12. Thorn

Thorn

I imagine most people would have.
  13. dampfnudel

dampfnudel

And the answer is

I must have missed the post where you mentioned your profession.
  14. Thorn

Thorn

Mine.
  15. RuffToy

RuffToy

You wouldn't believe how many guys like that shit. I have a very close friend who lives in Vegas that I see about 3-4 times a year when I go out there. I'm not sure who likes it more, him watching me and his wife or his wife getting it on with me.

To each his own Lepke.
  16. MikitheMilf

MikitheMilf

The ones who break my chops are the ones who wont pay 400 ...you dont see my regular clients complaining...
  17. lepke

lepke

Never really saw the attraction of swingers clubs. What guy wants to see his girl gettin it put to her by some other cat..I guess if you could give a shit about the girl it's cool but otherwise it's really fucked up in my mind..I have had the chance to fuck girls at the same time with other guys and I always pass. The guy might fuck up and cum on me and then I would have to kill him that might break the mood of the place. Miki baby if you can get 4 sheets from some guys why do they break your chops??
  18. dampfnudel

dampfnudel

Just out of curiosity, what profession ?
  19. Hyabby

Hyabby Guest

I know Miki better than most. I am also a contemporary and I, too, have some of those same scars - guess that makes at least three of us.

Don't be envious - enjoy the ride. (Oh, if you knew what kind of ride I had this afternoon . . . . . . . )
  20. justlooking

justlooking

I actually always thought that one of the problems with those events is (was) that they're low-end but they aren't particularly cheap.