Backpage Seized?

Discussion in 'Craigs list & Backpage' started by pilotman, Apr 6, 2018.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. genius

genius

I'm not quite sure how breaking the law is essential or non-essential part of the value but it certainly should be part of their financial planning for the future and indeed for their immediate future; if you take a group of people working at legit different jobs it is unlikely that their source of income will cease to exist literally one day w/o warning — not so with illegal work.
  2. justme

justme homo economicus

I believe that breaking the law is a non-essential part of the value add here. They made money by eating your ass. The hazard pay for that far exceeds the risk premium for engaging in illegal activity.

Indeed, I suspect that legalizing would probably lift prices as the demand effects far outpaced the supply effects.
    Slinky Bender likes this.
  3. pokler

pokler Power Bottom

Only if she has no teeth ..
    hardndslick and steveoo1970 like this.
  4. iwantagoodhj247

iwantagoodhj247

Just hit up an old favorite. Had taken a break tho to try some new talent recently.
    I ask how she's holding up. She says terrible, it's been dead. I'm thinking that sucks for her but we've always been cool so, let's try for a quick meet right now. She says sure , no prob, come by now, but the rates are double. I say, what? Why? She says, it's been a while since I saw you last, and business is dead so, double. I said, no thanks, thinking she might budge, but no. Stood firm. No action for me yet tonight. Shit.
    This might start this way but I can't keep up...
    backseat likes this.
  5. Comparing a lazy whore who only has to post an ad to make a couple of hundred for her time to a spine surgeon who will probably never be without work and spent years getting an education so he would never be without work is a stretch. On the other hand reminding some lazy whore who sucks dick for a living and can't see past next week that someday she won't be as desirable as she is today and what she does is illegal to start thinking about life after 40 might be the best advice you can give her. Just sayin.... :)
  6. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Has everyone forgotten how Backpage started? They wins around buying up a whole bunch of local free papers which ran ads like the Village Voice. I wonder if New York Magazine is going to start running hooker ads again.
  7. Slinky Bender

I remember working in offices before fax machines. We actually got work done. Then after fax machines would go along one day the fax machine would go down and everybody acted like "we can't get any work done today the fax machine is down."
    Then the same thing happened with the internet
    The problem here however is a bit of a structural one. For an extremely long time guys used agencies. It worked for them and it was also really good for part-time women who just wanted to earn some extra cash. They didn't have to worry about getting customers, customer service Etc. But then with the internet almost all women wanted to be independent so they didn't "have to give someone half their money for doing no work." So pretty much all the agencies disappeared. Things also got much harder for part-timers because now everybody really had to manage there hooking as a business. And if they don't respond to a voicemail text or email in 20 minutes guys go ballistic.
    If there were a whole bunch of agencies around these days all these women who are freaking out about this could simplycould simply go work for them. But that Ox got gored by the internet and women thinking that they didn't need agencies so they could keep all the money for themselves.
  8. Slinky Bender

I think you should start that discussion with one of them the next time she puts your dick in her mouth.
    big68, MayorSimpleton and hardndslick like this.
  9. Slinky Bender

I'll have to remind my spine surgeon next time I see him that he really needs to be taking night School courses in plumbing.
    imameathead and Waterclone like this.
  10. NankerPheldge

NankerPheldge

Yes you can
  11. WizardOfAhhs

WizardOfAhhs

LOL I figured it had to be something like that. I'd have been worried if it was anything more serious.

But I'm staying out of this whole discussion, because to me, they're arguing opinions based on perspective, and they're each entitled to their own. Edge was pretty clear that he was only speaking for himself, and I don't fault him for that. And waterclone appointed himself speaker on behalf of the working girls, and if that's a position he wants to take, he's welcome to it. So they're taking opposite sides, and voicing their opinion. It's all good to me. Although, I do think waterclone's metaphor of a burning bar full of people is a little melodramatic. No one directly died as a result of BP shutting down (for that matter, there have been prostitutes for 5,000 years or more. BP was around, for what, the last 10? So they somehow managed to go 4,990 without it before, I'm sure they'll figure a way now). I would say a more accurate metaphor would be a health clinic that burned down. It's possible it may cost someone their health or even their life, but we can't really say for sure unless it happens. And I don't think I'd be looking on twitter for hard facts on that.
  12. From the Cambridge Dictionary:

put all your eggs in one basket

to depend for your success on a single person or plan of action:

I'm applying for several jobs because I don't really want to put all my eggs in one basket.
  13. genius

genius

No, but when they are making a lot of fast money with a career that has an obvious limited future (for example athletes) a big percentage of earnings has to be set aside for the future. It's that simple.
    Come on — from your other postings I know you are much smarter than this. You don't have a spare house (or a spare car for that matter) because if you lose one of them there are alternates immediately available until you get a replacement. But everyone has a spare tire and if they have any brains a spare house key, maybe a large bill stuck in a secret pocket as the cost is small relative to the grief you will have if such is needed..
  14. Rider

Rider

I think you guys need to chill. Too many stereotypes here on both sides, and let's not devolve into a political discussion. Everybody has their issues. Some deal with it well and others make poor decisions or none at all.
  15. judge_holden

judge_holden

Lol, nonsense. 99% of the working girls I've been with were just lazy and preferred fucking to pay the bills, when they paid them. My LT-UTR went to school and got a degree to work in a lucrative field. Instead she skips out on her rent and bills and sleeps on pmfriends couches. Save your kneejerk liberal bullshit for someone else.

The single moms I was with were also lazy. And had poor habits.

I have no privilege. I cant go sell my ass when I need 1k quick. So whos privileged??
  16. I wouldn't know about privilege so you are clueless as to where I am coming from and the eggs in one basket metaphor can relate to anything and not just which you deem appropriate to suit the needs of your argument. :)
  17. I was raised poor. I didn't know it or think about until I was in my 40's. I never had all the shit my friends used to have when I was a kid. I never questioned it. My daddy taught me through example good work ethic and everything I have I worked my ass off for to get to where I am today. He always told me if you can't afford it then don't buy it. :D
  18. pokler

pokler Power Bottom

They made a lot of money by breaking the law and tax evasion over the past many years while other decent women played by the rules and busted their ass by waiting tables or whatever making a tenth of what your hooker friends made. I don’t feel a bit sorry for them. They should of been living more modestly and banked the ill gotten gains .
    WizardOfAhhs, genius and judge_holden like this.
  19. MayorSimpleton

MayorSimpleton

Nothing personal but it's the same argument that people who make more than 6x or more of minimum wage say about "burger flippers". The argument is " well if they don't like minimum wage get a better education" whenever talks of increasing it comes up. Everyone complains that it'll cost more at the store etc.
    But even try to put yourself in their shoes. If you're raised poor, the old boot strap analogy has no meaning. Yes some do but most can't. So work 3 part-time minimum wage jobs with no benefits and where is this boot strap.
    Waterclone is right in my opinion. Privileged people can't see it from their perspective because they were never in that world and don't comprehend their struggle .I'm not saying that makes one bad that they don't cant understand it but at least try to see it from their world.
    Waterclone, billyS and CrankShaftspin like this.
  20. Waterclone

Waterclone Go ahead. Try me.

More privilege. I'm sure you think most people are prepared with backup careers in case they lose their job and can no longer work in their field, but that's just not how life works. Do you also think people should have 2 houses in case something happens to the 1st one?

The eggs in 1 basket metaphor is about risk taking. Gambling. It's does not relate to things like careers.