Best cheesesteak in New Jersey?

Discussion in 'Northern New Jersey' started by BigMadM, Apr 23, 1973.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. BigMadM

BigMadM Linoleum

Thanx C9, thats a great explanation.

I Never knew that but I have been to football weddings in South Philly.(maybe the grandchildren of those Italian hoggie eaters)

Hey, Angelo, throw me a ********(your choice) sandwich, and Angelo would pick it up and toss it to you, like a football.
    (this explanation is only for the guys that are too young or never had the pleasure of a football wedding party.)
    Ive been to alot of football weddings up here also.
  2. tonka

tonka

Pat's in Point Pleasant

Thanks Cobra, nice to see you posting outside of the mp section. I have to change my vote on best cheesesteak in New Jersey. I recently had the pleasure of devouring a " Pat's Special", excellent meat, dices marinated mushrooms, diced hot peppers, topped with provalone. Awesome, delicious, my thanks to those who recommended this place. Now off to Skuffy's to see if my vote will change again. Peace
  3. Cobra

Cobra

Cheese steak or cheese cake, that is the question?

Tonka, I love ya, when I'm down and out, or blue your always there with either a great review or something new for the menu. Now my question are you asking about cheese cake, cheese steak, beef cake or what? You know I love eating raw monkey!! But the best which above all the rest? I just don't know? Keep me posted.
  4. Casper

Casper

Jorel Welcome to Silver:

While we are on this topic: The first Blimpies sandwich shop was opened in NJ (birthplace of Frank Sinatra to be exact) and oddly enough was it was opened by an Italian.
  5. Jorel

Jorel

Actually, I think you are wrong. The origen of the bread, and the came from German and Dutch immigrants. Which settled in the Pennsylvania suburbs. The south Philia Italian immigrants just perfected these sandwichis in the 50's and 60's.
  6. Cloud Nine

Cloud Nine I had to open my big mouth.......

Why they're called Hoagies:

After WWI there was a huge influx of Italian imigrants into South Philadelphia. THe Italian born population inflated from 6799 in 1890 to 63,223 in 1920. Many of them worked in the city's largest private shipyard near South Philly on Hog Island in the Delaware river.
    Of course the nickname that these workers were given was "Hoggies". An Italian Hoggie would typically carry his lunch in an oil stained paper bag that contained an italian roll sliced in half, slathered with olive oil and filled with cheeses, tomatoes, lettuce, oinions, peppers and if he had some $$- some salami.

So the name Hoagie is a derivation of the nickname Hoggie and what they ate for lunch, why the "hah" sound changed to a "ho" sound is anybody's guess.

Of course I don't expect BigMadM to know this, cause he's one of them New Yorkers, plus he wrote this post in before the Great War anyways.

(if anyone's interested, I got this info from an interesting book I found, "Pennsylvania Curiousities" by Clark DeLeon.)
  7. justlooking

justlooking

[superceded by intervening posts]
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2003
  8. Cloud Nine

Proves my point.

However, if I were to move to NY (when hell freezes over), then I would consider buying a cheesesteak there. Why? Well, its not like I can always get the true blue Philly CS anytime I want. Whereas since I'm usually "visiting" NY, why take the risk and get a subpar CS, why not get the NY style pizza I love or whatever it is that NY is famous for (except I could do without the rude people)
  9. Cloud Nine

Re: Cloud Nine

Well, ever since my mistake of ordering a steak sandwhich in the worng place before (see story a few posts up). I have learned not to order certain things in certain places. (exception, I went to Texas a year ago and I had fabulous steaks there, but it would be silly to avoid eating steaks now, just because theyre better in Texas.) I would rather try the local cuisines anyway. I was just in asia, do you think I would dare order a hamburger over there?
  10. Cloud Nine

No, just new yorkers. (and not all of them either)
  11. justlooking

justlooking

Me, too, FWIW.
  12. Jorel

Jorel

Boy you really have issues with NY.
    One thing NY doesnt have, Unless the festival is on, is a Steak.
  13. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

But the W 3rd streeet stuff isn't a Philly Cheesesteak (and they admit it). Personally, I think they are somewhat over-rated ( but the 2 for $5 opening month deal was nice).
  14. justlooking

justlooking

Cloud Nine

That's exactly why I'm asking. The place opened to a lot of fanfare. I want to know what people who really know think.

(You might want to eat a cheesesteak on W. 3rd St. in Manhattan because you're on W. 3rd St. and you feel like a cheesesteak.)

(Just like if I'm wondering whether to go to a deli in some other city, I want to know what people from New York think of it.)
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2003
  15. Jorel

Jorel

There are a lot of good Stek places in Philia. I actually have a love for the Italian Hoagie. I have a special place for that. Different places have different strengths. I know one thing. People in Ny and other places really dont know the deal until they have had a top Steak!.
  16. Jorel

Jorel

Re: Tie

The best way to adress your delimma. The meats used by sal's are better(FOR a Hoagie only) Than Filet Mignon. Saw this tried by a shop trying to get an edge in a steak hoagie competition.
    Unless the place went down hill in the last 8 months....NOT!!!

If they are using steak-umms, trust me, you are in for a shock. That is like comparing a Kats, or Carnegie deli pastrami or corned beef with the one arby's had a while back.
  17. Cloud Nine

Now why would any self-respecting Philadelphian eat a cheesesteak in NY?!!

(do I have to rant again about how NY is the axis for the universe?)
  18. Cloud Nine

Slightly off topic....

THe best Hoagie I ever had was outside of Philly.

Whitehouse Hoagies in AC.. I dont remember the addy but if you ask any of the locals they will know, its how I find it.
  19. gambino55us

gambino55us

No I don't recall venturing into W Phila. If I recall it was not a "great" neighborhood. I too am not from Phila. I moved there right after school for about a year for a job that didn't last. I lived in NE Philly at the time and there was a local "hogie shop" (sp?) that made a very decent steak.
  20. Kman67

Kman67

Tie

I can't choose between Sal's and Skuffy's.

I think Sal's is better all-in-all, but Skuffy's is so damn nasty but satisfying all the same. True junk food!

At Skuffy's you still get steak-ums (didn't know they still made them), with the fries in the sandwich...

I may be a bit biased though. Skuffy's was always just a stones throw away when we moved to New Jersey.