Best Cheesesteak.

Discussion in 'Food and Wine' started by Slinky Bender, Apr 24, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. franca

franca <color=pink>Silver</color>

I was in Philly last June, and my host took me to Pinocchio's for a cheesesteak. Carl's didn't even come close the one time I tried it. I think Mr. Wet Wooly is right: a good cheesesteak doesn't need double meat or double cheese.
  2. robnotbob

robnotbob

3. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

A good cheesesteak doesn't need double meat or double cheese.
  4. justlooking

justlooking

I'm a complete pig and I couldn't eat that.
  5. UG Staff

UG Staff Staff

With Carl's using Wiz, I think you need double meat to go with the double cheese (and in case I wasn't clear, Carl's puts it on the 'wich and (( Miles puts it on the side).
  6. justlooking

justlooking

Why don't you challenge him on it (or, to put it more politely, call it to his attention)?
  7. UG Staff

UG Staff Staff

Fine, so now it's clear that this guy fabricates his "facts"?
  8. justlooking

justlooking

I can't speak to "double meat", but I ordered "double cheese" once at the uptown Carl's (thinking that twice as much gooey fatty stuff has to be better), and I thought it was rather disgusting.

As to format, the extra cheese wasn't on the side: they just squeezed a lot more (but not necessarily twice as much) cheese onto the sandwich.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  9. justlooking

justlooking

I don't think there's any ambiguity at all that that's what he's saying.
  10. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

It's Pat's. There was a shot of them pouring globs of wiz from a bucket sized soup ladle onto a finished cheesesteak on Monday Night Football at the Linc last night.
  11. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

It's the same name, same logo, and I think the same menu (although didn't see any pizza at the small one on Houston St.). Maybe CF franchises and the Sunnyside guy doesn't own the one on Houston St.?

CF is originally from Maryland or VA.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  12. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Separate issue: what does double steak mean? (or double cheese?)

At Carl's, double meat gets you more meat than at 99 Miles to Philly and Philly Slim’s; And I must be imagining this, but I think double steak at the downtown Carl's gets you more meat than the 34th St spot. At 99 miles to Philly, double Wiz gets you a side container of extra Wiz (which is really plastic-y and not worth much - the Wiz that is, the container is obviously plastic!). At Carl's, it doesn't seem like double Wiz is double; more like "just enough" as opposed to "just not enough".

For those that have different tastes than Wiz (which is the only thing I get), what's double cheeze been with other cheeses/places?
  13. Slinky Bender

I guarantee you that CF is wetting the grill with water (using the usual "ketchup type" squeeze bottles)
  14. Slinky Bender

I don't know whether he's writing poorly, I'm reading poorly, or he's just fabricating stuff (and considering his prior fabrication of how they do the burgers at CB, I think I may be seeing a trend) but the Cheesesteak Factory spots on Queens Blvd, 6th Ave and Bay Ridge absolutely are related. As previously reported, I went to the one year aniversary of the Queens Blvd location where I had a lengthy conversation with the owner where he told me they were opening one in Manhatan and when I asked where, he answered "14th St and 6th Ave". When I guessed exactly which storefront they were going into, he was floored and I explained my office was nearby. He told me that they had opened in Bay Ridge, where they stayed open much later because there was a real late night crowd there. When I went to opening day at the 6th Avenue spot they were expecting me and knew me by name because they guy's brother who is the one who operates the Queens Blvd store (i.e. the guy I had the discussion with) had told him about me.

OK, so it's not possible that it's true that they are all unrelated. I don't know 100% for sure that they also opened the Houston Street one, because we didn't talk apout that. So am I reading poorly, or would a normal person read his piece to imply they are all unrelated to eachother?
  15. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

I think they only put it on for a few seconds. Barthomer knows what he's talking about.
  16. justlooking

justlooking

I would think that if y ou put the roll on top of the frying meat to absorb the grease it would kind of vomitous. Maybe I'm just a wimp. OTOH, I'm willing to try.
  17. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

I'm ashamed to say I haven't been to Carl's and won't be going soon. Not because I don't want to, but I'm trying to diet and stay away from cheesesteaks, burgers, and now chicken fried steaks. So allow me to convince myself that cheesesteaks in NYC can't possibly be great.

Slinky and others were of the opinion that CF-Sunnyside was quite similar to Carl's. I thought CF was decent (i.e., definitely hit the spot and satisfied a cheesesteak craving) but it wasn't great. It was too dry because they aren't putting the roll on top of the frying sirloin to absorb all the steam, grease and flavor. Also, I suspect they aren't wetting the grill with water to steam and moisten the sirloin.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  18. justlooking

justlooking

You've really gotta.
  19. robnotbob

robnotbob

I had a Philly cheesesteak (I think it was Pats..but it's whichever one serves at Lincoln Financial Field) at a Jet/Eagle preseason game last year. Holy cow.

Still haven't gone to Carl's...what's wrong with me?
  20. franca

franca <color=pink>Silver</color>

I dunno. Maybe? He also has one in Tucson, though I've never been there. He has tons of photos of a few bodybuilders (family perhaps?) posted on the walls of his place.