Best Korean Restaurant

Discussion in 'Food and Wine' started by mumsamumsa, May 9, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

That's what this was (except it was't really charcoal, I don't think; you know, charcoal isn't really "coal" in the sense that it's not mined, it's man-made. This stuff was like half way between wood and commercial US charcoal; sort of half-way charcoaled wood bits). It was great having them bring over this tin full of this red hot mixture of wood/coal and drop it in the slot in the center of the table. plus the whole place had this "air" (hahah) about it from all teh grilling going on that doesn't happen with the gas jets (and electric..... fuggedaboudit. I won't even go to the Shabu-Shabu places which use electric).
  2. Duster3

Duster3

In SF...

I've eaten at a few Korean restaurants in San Francisco - ones where you cook your own food - a lot of fun for a group. Some used to have wood fires at each table - today, some have gone to electric - the most traditional have a guy bring a bucket of hot coals to the grill at each table.
  3. Slinky Bender

The best thing was the wood (and I think it was the only place that had them?).
  4. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

If you're talking about the all night place on the south side of 32nd between the parking garage and office tower off Bdwy, they switched to gas over 7 months ago.
  5. Slinky Bender

I was so dissapointed recently to find out the place with the real wood grills doesn't have them anymore.
  6. franca

franca <color=pink>Silver</color>

Never been to the one in Flushing, but I rather like Kum Gang San. At my most recent visit with a couple girlfriends, I noticed they started selling their kimchee by the huge bucket to take home. I would have bought some, but I had a date later, and I thought it might seem weird to walk into his hotel room with a gallon of kimchee.
  7. NoBiscuit

NoBiscuit

The Baden Baden in Fort Lee is much better, esp the chicken.
  8. justlooking

justlooking

I've been to that Forte Baden Baden place on 32nd St., and frankly I didn't see what the big deal was. I didn't think the chicken was that great.
  9. TASTYSQEEZE

TASTYSQEEZE

I hear the new rave is Korean fried chicken. Anybody sample the crispy goodness anywhere. I hear Bon Chon Chicken, but there only open 5p on.
    (314 5th ave)
  10. rough1

rough1

Charcoal

I went to a charcoal K-BQ place in Flushing (N'thrn Blvd. near Main) a few years ago, but it's since gone out of business. Anyplace in Queens or Manhattan that actually uses charcoal (real hot or otherwise)?
  11. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Best Korean barbecue I've been to was in Palisades Park, NJ just across the GWB.

Outstanding bulgoki on the real hot charcoals, not those awful frying pans they use in Little Korea, NYC.

So Moon Nan Jib or something like that. Anyone know the place I'm talking about?
  12. wanguy30

wanguy30

No All-You-Can-Eat-Korean for me

I'd avoid the all-you-can-eat place on Northern (I believe it's between 149th & 150th Street). Let's just say my friends and I got food poisoning from there on two separate occasions. It took two trips to the emergency room after eating there before we decided not to go back.
  13. ZagatMP

ZagatMP

I know that place, but dont go on a weekday, cuz the food is not as fresh. If you go on a weekend its busier, but the food is alot fresher.
  14. DaiDaiLun

DaiDaiLun

There is a All-You-Can-Eat Korean BBQ on northern blvd. It's about maybe 5 or 6 blocks from the Kum Gang San. It's pretty good for the price (17.99?) if you like korean BBQ. I've been there a few times and always end up breaking out with pimples the next day and a massive gout attack.
  15. ewnekmagahai

ewnekmagahai

Jung Tuh, corner of Union and 3 Ave, has great kalbi (galbi) bbq beef
  16. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

I think it's on either 35th or 36th between 5th and 6th. It's on the second floor, hard to spot from street level. Nice Korean ass in there.
  17. wanguy30

wanguy30

Try the one in Flushing

I like the one in Flushing better. Plenty of parking in the back and there's a nice little authentic Korean waterway with fishes in it. Even thought the menu and food selection is pretty much the same, I like the service and food better in Flushing.
    Last edited: May 10, 2006
  18. ZagatMP

ZagatMP

Chun Kee Wah in Elmhurst off Broadway and Roosevelt Ave.
  19. DaiDaiLun

DaiDaiLun

Kum Gang San in K-Town (they also have a location flushing)
  20. Traderdave

Traderdave

Where is RED BAR located in K-town? I