Best Sandwiches in NYC

Discussion in 'Food and Wine' started by Mr. Wet Wooly, Aug 15, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Gavvy Cravath

Gavvy Cravath Moderator Emeritus

I ventured downtown yesterdauy with my daughter. Had some fun at ABC Park then walked a few blocks to Katz'. I've never been there before, but as per Ozzy's and Wooly's suggestions, I hit this joint up.

The pastrami was 13 and change, a very decent sandwich. I never put condiments on my food, but my daughter loves mustard. Since we were sharing, I told My three year old never touches any coldcuts, but she chomped away at the little pastrami slices I gave her. She gave the place a "thumbs up".

Gavy
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  2. bangbroads

bangbroads

FrankM- Did you know that Joey is no longer the owner? He sold it about 3 months ago after his mom who was the cook became ill. She made some great cookies and hot dishes and used to work the register.

I statred going there based on your review back in August and went there steady up till December. I stopped going for a while and went back and things werent the same. Now I know why. Frank did you hear anything.
    Joey is driving trucks again. What a shame. One of the nicest most sincere genuine guys I ever met.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  3. Dan888

Dan888

Fiore's in Hoboken has the best mozz. It make's almost any sandwich amazing. The roast beef and gravy special on thursday and saturday are the best. You may encounter a long line but it'll be worth it. I am also fond of their corned beef special on tuesdays.

It's at 4th and Adams.
  4. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

I hardly ever agree with Ed Levine. A lot of the time, it seems he hasn't even been to the places he's writing about.

I generally agree that when it comes to meatballs, the County of Kings reings supreme. The meatball hero at Espositio's Pork Store on Court Street is my favorite in the 5 boroughs.

I've never had a meatball hero at Frankie's, but it's bad for everything else (they don't even use fresh mozzarella), so I'm dubious.

I go to Caputo's all the time and didn't even know they had a meatball hero on the menu. I don't think they do. Anyone know?
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  5. justlooking

justlooking

6. Hyabby

Hyabby Guest

You must have been pretty damn hungry to drop a Jackson for what was no doubt a mediocre-to-downright-awful turkey club. You couldn't hold out till after Maria's third set then head over to Donovan's for a burger?
  7. robnotbob

robnotbob

I had a $20 turkey sandwich today at the US Open that made me want to cry.
  8. Ozzy

Ozzy

Not when you're trying to lose weight its not. And it gives me something to look forward to on those NY visits.

But I've found some decent restaurants, deli's, a good Chinese market (though I have to drive 20 miles up to West Palm for it)... It's not a bad trade off considering this is like the strip club capital of the world and a giant stripper retirement community. Who ever is too old to get on a stage shaking her tits can be seen jogging around town near the 55 and over community... they aren't looking so bad. I've got that BMM mentality and started sizing up 40+ year olds to see if I'd consider fucking them. Quite a few would give Goldie Hawn or Kim Bassinger a run for their money. Still waiting to run into Shauna at the Publics though.

btw... Anyone visiting So Fla and wants to meet a mid 30's - mid 40's stripper/milf type... just shop at any Publics.
  9. Monk

Monk

I'm trying to decide whether "broccoli-robe" was a typo for broccoli rabe, or code for something like big balls. As in: "Hey, Baby, let me undo my robe and show you my broccoli."
  10. Ozzy

Ozzy

In Hell......

Everything comes out burnt and well done.
  11. bangbroads

bangbroads

down where?
  12. justlooking

justlooking

Ozzy, isn't it like painful for you to be writing this stuff down there?
  13. Ozzy

Ozzy

Thats what I get there. Their sauteed broccoli-robe is fucking perfect... and they'll cook it fresh. I'll get it on anything they make including just that on semolina, but they have great chicken cutlets and their own Italian seasoned roast beef. All their hot dishes are good too but the pizza place across the street is even better with the hot plates.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  14. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Is that a once a week special or is that available daily?

Today for lunch, I had proscuitto, sopressata, genoa salami, provelone, roasted red peppers, oil and vinegar on a semolina hero from Mike's Deli off Arthur Ave.

I pretty sure I heard one of my arteries choke.
  15. Ozzy

Ozzy

Mama's on 104 st & 46 av in corona.....

Italian roast beef (or chicken cutlet) with broccoli-robe sauteed in garlic and oil on semolina bread.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  16. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

What heroes do you fellows get at Mama's (aka Leo's Latticini)?? I'm planning a trip there and would like to know what's best.
  17. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

I did the same thing with a stripper and I got 1/2 lb. harder during the lapdance.
  18. patrick2422

patrick2422

19. neilz

neilz

A couple of years ago, I was going to have my fav counter man make my pastrami sand. The guy ahead of me handed my guy $3. The counter guy said "hard salami" and the cust said yes. Then my guy cuts a huge chunk of salami and stuffs it in the bag. Then he not only made a great pastrami sandwich but cut about 1/2 lb. extra and wrapped it next to the sandwich. What a bargain. I whipped out my $3 and said "I'll have the same". I felt like I hit the lottery.
  20. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

True connoisseurs prefer a little fat on meat, esp. pastrami and bacon (try the bacon at Peter Luger's for a special treat). Asking for pastrami cut 'lean' is akin to going to a top-tier steakhouse and asking for a steak well done. Dry and flavorless.