Best Steakhouse (Tristate area)

Discussion in 'Food and Wine' started by DaiDaiLun, Apr 13, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Traderdave

Traderdave

There is also a Joe's Shanghai in Chinatown on Pell Street. Awesome soup dumplings!
  2. paradise56

paradise56

joe's shanghai

on 37 street, near the queens crossing building. food is ok, very load.
  3. Retoxicate

Retoxicate

That's not gonna happen. For a relatively small room, there is nothing intimate about it. Very much a boys night out meal.
  4. Monk

Monk

And with competitors offering 64 oz steaks, well, that's practically half a cow right there.
  5. justlooking

justlooking

The only way they could mitigate the noise would be to rip out all those gorgeous Guastavino tiles.

And since that's the whole point of that space, I don't see them doing that.
  6. Ozzy

Ozzy

Lugers will be around not just because of their name... but the resurgence in the Brooklyn waterfront. All the old warehouses being converted into million dollar condo's and lofts will supply more than enough yuppies and pretentious assholes for Lugers future business. Now you can walk to that $100 shitty steak.
  7. justlooking

justlooking

Yes. And I even think I know why.

Prime beef is a finite object. They can increase supply, but only so much.

How many more steakhouses are there in New York now than there were five years ago? So even with all their connections, Luger's simply can't get as much of the absolute top-quality prime beef as they used to be able to.

They used to always get the best of the best. But now, there isn't enough to go around. So sometimes they get only "ordinary" prime -- not the extraordinary absolute-top-level prime they used to always be able to get.
  8. mr. f

mr. f

My problem with Wolfgang's wasn't the food but the noise level on a Saturday night was horrible. I hope they have mitigated that somehow.
  9. Scott68

Scott68 I hate UG and i wont post here again (under this h

Of Benjamins and Wolfies?, they are break away steakhouses opened by previous employees of Lugers. They must know something, in my opinion, they do it better.
  10. Scott68

I've been eating there for 25 years and they have become very inconsistent in the last 6-8 years. From the quality of the steak, to the size of the shrimp. They like to push a particular wine on some people.

I would go there as a kid with my parents maybe 3 times a month and they were treated as regulars with perhaps a drink or dessert on the house, now, you can forget all of that, you don't even know if your porterhouse for 3 is really a fatty one with barely enough meat for 2.
  11. Scott68

I've been going there 25 years, they have become very inconsistent. I can't tell you how many time I sent things back telling them I've eaten at both location for many years.

I don't thing they will be around in 10 years, they are not what they used to be.
  12. mr. f

mr. f

I went to Lugers last night. Has anyone else found it to be much more inconsistent over the past few years. It used to be an absolute home run every time, last night the steak came out warm, not sizzling, and was a bit fatty. I was there two weeks ago and it was perfect.

To JL- Dim Sum before Steak - total decadence.
  13. kr8zmn

kr8zmn

DEL FRISCOS - Ave of the Americas, MM GOOD! Also like Paces on 454 in Hauppauge and 112 in Port Jeff.
  14. justlooking

justlooking

You can go for steak after dim sum.
  15. Monk

Monk

Hey, guys, I believe there's a "Dim Sum" thread. This is the STEAK thread!
  16. justlooking

justlooking

And as for dim sum, I have three words for you: Perfect Team Corporation.
  17. justlooking

justlooking

Car? Drive? I thought we were living in a CITY.

(Also, you say "no congee" like that's a BAD thing.)
  18. Ozzy

Ozzy

No congee in Flushing either.
  19. Ozzy

Ozzy

Get in a car and attempt to drive thru Flushing then get back to me.

But you can't get good pork buns or dim sum in Flushing. There's one place on Broadway off Queens blvd thats good but they run out early.
  20. mr. f

mr. f

I could not agree more. Lately I have been hitting a soup dumpling place on Prince Street. No English name that I can tell, just Chinese characters. I am usually the only white person in there so I hear my share of giggles but the dumplings are so good I really don't give a shit.