Boat books

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by candie, Jul 13, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. JackStraw

JackStraw

Boating with Strangers

Candie,
    I have a boat. Have had for many years. I'm careful of whose boat i go out on. I've pissed off a few fellow boaters by making up some real flimsy excuses to not go on their boats. I wouldn't say flat out no, because a boatride can be an incredibly enjoyable, erotic experience.
    But, under no circumstances should you go with anyone that you do not trust absolutely. Also, as the coasties advise, file a float plan, and be sure the guy knows you have.
    jack
  2. godfather2b

godfather2b

Wonder if the "shark" could be the captain of the boat!
  3. HAPPY GUY

HAPPY GUY

Yes. Also, I'm currently reading that new book about the 1916 shark attacks in New Jersey. It makes you never want to go into the ocean, even on a boat, unless you're absolutely certain of your safety (the shark responsible for the attacks actually nearly sunk a boat). It's terrifying. On a more practical note, I would underscore what everyone else has said.
  4. Kelly Sweden

Kelly Sweden

Stay away from Boats

Hi Candie,
    I think meeting gentlemen on boats is really, really unsafe, unless you know them, for all the reasons you mentioned, even if he is a good guy, there are so many variables that impose danger for you when you are out in the ocean or even a lake.
    Alcohol, drugs, rough water, other boaters, your swimming experience, and once you are out there there you are stuck, there is no turning around til they come back.
    Have a great day! Kelly Sweden
  5. godfather2b

godfather2b

I agree that unless you know the individual, I would pass on the nautical
    experience. I've seen too many individuals operating boats that have little
    experience and not much common sense!
  6. MJC185

MJC185

Ditto to all those

Who suggested NOT going on a boat with someone you do now know very well. Even be wary of those you know well if there seems even the most remote chance of them being one pancake short of a stack.

BUT...if you do find a comfort zone with a client and you do decide to go on a boat with him, do not let him drink even one drink. Do not let alcohol onto the boat.

Quckie...
    MJC
  7. candie

candie

Thank you to all who have reinforced what I originally thought!
  8. nyfoofie

nyfoofie

Hi everyone,
    New here

I agree with everyone Candie, I wouldn't go on a persons boat unless I knew them or was with a friend who knew them well.
    The main thing is if things don't work out or if there is a problem and you are out on the water, where could you go??

Then again I don't see a problem with just staying where it is docked.

Best bet is get to know him very well!!!
  9. paladin

paladin

Please Be Safe!

My strong recommendation is to avoid the boat like the plague until after you have really gotten to know this person. Even someone with a Master's License and 25 years of experience can be a creep. Once you've gone beyond the breakers there's no place to go even for a good swimmer.

DON't go there! No way! No how!

:)

[Edited by paladin on 07-13-2001 at 09:26 PM]
  10. TuckernotSucker

TuckernotSucker

Candie

If he asks you to bring your own oars, stay away.
  11. Luciano

Luciano

Try "Three Men and a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome. Not a technical boat, but does have some funny stuff about inexperienced boaters.
  12. NYCBoy

NYCBoy

A pro captain with at least a 100ton license would be nice. A lot of people have these and it means that they have a lot of hours at sea and are scrutinized/tested on a regular basis by a regulatory agency. It takes all of 30 minutes reading a manual to get a recreational license good for life
  13. Carl M

Carl M Hanging by a thread

Out here in the sticks!

Every other person has a boat. Candie as a friend do not I repeat do not go with anyone you do not know! I have seen people driving boats who had only 2 or 3 cold ones run a ground on a sand bar doing 25 knots and the passengers were shot out like projectiles! Be safe!!
  14. hot4chicks

hot4chicks

On a boat, unlike a hotel room or car, once you're underway, unless you're an Olympic swimmer, you have no way out. Your safety and well-being rest in the skipper's hands.

I'd think unless he is very well-known to you, you may want to consider other options as to how you spend your time.
  15. candie

candie

Boat Bookings

Was hoping for some basic advice. If a lady has a request to spend some time with someone on a boat, what should be some of the questions she should ask/know before going?

Boat license and boat driving records may sound a bit drastic but is there a way or website to see any type of bad behavior, safety wise from that individual?

When your out there in the water, you would want to know your out there with someone who does not abuse liquior<unless its the kitty liquior kind> and knows what he is truely doing!

When I am in a boat I can't believe the stuff that is in the hudson. Takes an experienced boat person to go out there.

Any thoughts? Anything I should or anyone accepting a booking should be aware of first?