Bush and Affirmative Action

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sneaker, Jan 16, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Wwanderer

Wwanderer Kids, don't try this at home

Re: Let's stop this now.....

Fwiiw, I have heard that those large state universities which have virtually no admissions requirements (or at least some of them) essentially use the whole Freshman year, or maybe just its first semester, as a sort of giant admissions exam in effect. In other words, the entering students take a set of huge courses in which the grades are "curved" so that a large number are certain to flunk out. The remainder of the entering class, much reduced in size, then proceeds through a fairly normal college experience. I imagine the experience is quite stressful for those students who actually want to stay (some fraction just treat it as an extended party celebrating the end of their formal education before they take their high school diplomas and return to work in the real world).

I really don't know much about such schools and how their systems work; the above is based mostly on what I was told by a guy I knew who went to some such place. It sounds palusible to me though.

-Ww
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2003
  2. jseah

jseah

Let's stop this now.....

maybe all state university's should adopt the policy of Ohio State.......that if you are a resident of Ohio (or whatever state the school is in) then you are automatically accepted into the school....no ifs, and, or buts....
  3. redleg609

redleg609

I submit the problems with most discussions on UG that are about religion or politics are:
    • That terms do not get defined. Therefor, it is never really clear what is really being asserted.
    • Many tangential topics are introduced - which suffer also from the definition problem.
    • Active listening is rarely practiced
    • Too many of the informal fallacies of logic are introduced: e.g. Ad Hominem attacks, Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc - I've seen them all.
    • Too much sloganeering and too many 20 second sound byte arguements.

I enjoy it all the same and often learn things.
  4. redleg609

redleg609

"M" is often used in real estate ads to denote one thousand. Why, you ask. I suspect for the same reason that this is the year MMMIII. In real estate lingo "MM" is not 2,000 but a thousand thousand or a Million.

As for Ks, they're metric right, Kilo- a combining form meaning 1000, invented by the French. (From the Greek chilioi.)

Thus endeth the lesson for the day.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2003
  5. pjorourke

pjorourke Thinks he's Caesar's Wife

Fine, just fine! We get one fricken day a year, and we can't even discuss it on UG.
  6. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

WWanderer - I always forget my conventions, but I've seen M used for 000's and MM used for 000,000's.

Anyway, 150,000 etc. is what I meant.
  7. Jorel

Jorel

Re: Re: Re: Relieving jm's thread frustration level...

I am aware. See Ya
  8. Wwanderer

Re: Re: Relieving jm's thread frustration level...

I am out of here!

-Ww

PS to Jorel - There is a standing UG insider joke about threads turning into audiophile discussions, but someone else will have to explain it to you. I can't bear the thought.
  9. Thorn

Thorn

Slinky, because a certain provider with ->I*R*I*S*H<- in her name is banned we can't use the term to explain anything, such as discussions of St Patty's Day, or the like?
  10. Jorel

Jorel

Then show me the abuse baby!
  11. Thorn

Thorn

Parts of the South were built on raced based free labor, while large segements of the rest of the country decidedly took advantage of ALL poor people, even recruiting then from other countries to do things like help build the railroads, but did pay them... even if they did owe their whole paycheck to the company store.

I will say that it is MY personal opinion that there is a segment of white society that wants to keep people of color down AND sees things like affirmative action, college tuition selection programs, and the like as CONTROL MECHANISM to keep people of color down.

By that I mean, I think what has happened is that the situation may be more purposeful then accidental. Specifically what I mean is that there was a segment of the white political elite, mostly dixiecrats, that saw Johnson's Great Society bills as a means to a different end then was originally invisioned.

Other creeds and races have experienced abject poverty in this country, and in some number still do. They have experienced racism and creedism as well. [I give you the ***** ghettos and '***** need not apply', Jewish ghettos, Italian and Polish, it goes on and on.]

What Native and African Americans have experienced in common is that circumstances were in place that made us "special". Frankly, I think we would have been better off if we weren't so "special". We allowed ourselves to be placed in a position where we have become SO DEPENDENT on government intervention that we have crippled ourselves as a race to be independent and dragging ourselves out of poverty the same way other races and creeds have.

And as I was beginning to suggest. I think there is segment of people who desire exactly this. Such controls allow you to affect exactly how high a people could climb, or effectively keep them down.

Of course, the reverse side of the coin is that, in this country, you can only do that if the people involved cooperate in allowing you to keep them in a depressed state.

I am happy to say that Native Americans are starting to realize this and are staying away in droves from such programs. Creating their own resources and being dependent only on themselves. Taking control.

African Americans are going to have to reach similar conclusions, and take similar control of their own destiny, before they start climbing the ladder out of poverty. With the climbing out of poverty, by the way, comes the ability to stare anyone directly in the face and say, "I am at least as good as you are.", and that has a big impact on other's ability to hold you in lack of racial esteem [in other words, act in prejudicial ways based on race].
  12. Jorel

Jorel

White history month is year round. Look back to your course of study in History. It was all european and white american. Black history, Asian history etc did not receive a semester in the late 70's and 80's.
  13. pjorourke

Damn, I could have sworn that was the point I started with.
  14. pjorourke

As did you.
  15. Jorel

Jorel

Re: Relieving jm's thread frustration level...

Really. I can go there. Personally I like Thiele speakers. Vandersteens are pretty hot for the money. Anyone hear the new macintosh amplifiers?
  16. Jorel

Jorel

An exchange of ideas with people who think differently is far from abuse. As far as being baited, You are the only one who took this thread personally. You brought up your children, and had a need to discuss the size of your home.

I find it interesting that there are intelligent people who enjoy commercial realationships with women, and post here. As an example, I actually enjoyed my exchanges with Wwanderer and the ideas of a couple of others. I don't agree with him at all on this point, but I respect him as a thinking person. All conversations dont have to be about boob size and Bjs to be worthwhile.

Yet again, you miss the point .
  17. Wwanderer

Those M's are supposed to be K's aren't they?

Anyway, I suspect you are right about income becoming an increasingly dominant factor as it goes up. Fwiiw, the minority families in my town which I mention in above replies to Jorel probably have AGIs above $150K in most cases (but not $150M!).

-Ww
  18. Wwanderer

Relieving jm's thread frustration level...

No, no, not a natural death. What it needs is a nice soothing discussion of audio systems before it ends. Or maybe that is what is meant by a "natural death" on UG.

-Ww
  19. Wwanderer

I was sort of hoping you, or someone, would say what the standard definitions of some of these terms, say just "middle class" for starters, actually are. I admit of course that I only asked if they exist.

-Ww
  20. pjorourke

justme, I strongly agree on one point -- this thread needs to die a natural death. Its not even fun baiting or abusing Jorel anymore.