Buy shares of Citigroup Inc.

Discussion in 'Games of Chance' started by elmo16, Mar 9, 2009.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. LISteve

LISteve

It's about doubled in value over the last approx 10 years. So ... not that great.
  2. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

3. 10243406

How rich was the original poster of this now? Need some more stock picks on this forum :D
    jadams likes this.
  4. elmo16

elmo16

I heard that the Mets will no longer have Bat Day or Hat Day, instead those selected home games at Citifield will now feature Stock Day. Now instead of getting a free baseball bat or free baseball cap, you will get a free Citigroup stock which at $2.74 is cheaper then a baseball bat or cap.
  5. lightweight

lightweight Moderator

I thought about buying Citi a couple of weeks ago at something like 1.40. Of coarse I waited, and I just bought a couple thousand shares for 3.04. After reading this thread, why not. I bought GE. Maybe I should buy AIG like someone else mentioned. Of coarse, I am buying these for very long term investments.
  6. Lou Grant

Lou Grant

I really hop the OP actually bit the bullet and bought some Citi because it has gone from 1.02 to 2.23 in a week, a relatively low risk, 108% reward trade.
  7. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

Along with wondering if AIG is a good stock buy now, I am also wondering if I would go back to work there since I am recently out of work as of last week. I didn't actually work for them, I consulted to them in 2 locations in NJ. A recruiter I met with on Monday said one of those locations has a lot of accounting issues and a need for consultants, something that was prevalent when I was there 3 years ago.
  8. Mr. Sammy

Mr. Sammy

More likely just a dead cat bouncing.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  9. cjfun51

cjfun51

this looks like a bear market rally ....
  10. elmo16

elmo16

Today AIG went up 20% while Citigroup went up 38%, but if you look at the five year historical stock price chart AIG normally ranged between $70 and $60 per, while Citigroup averaged out at between $45 and $55 per. AIG closed at 42 cents today, if you plan to buy and hold for awhile, AIG is the better investment.

Something tells me that you will have to wait a lot longer before AIG become profitable again, and I don't really understand just how the insurance game works, anyone out there who does?
  11. Petrol Pete

Petrol Pete

Citigroup Inc. today reported it had operated at a profit during the first two months of the year.
  12. Scott68

Scott68 I hate UG and i wont post here again (under this h

Buy now and be prepaired to sell within 2 days.
  13. Petrol Pete

Petrol Pete

Now trading at 1.43 (40% increase)
  14. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

I was thinking the same thing with AIG. Their stock price last week was .41 cents. With $150MM from the government, how can they and their stock price do anything but go up? Unless they plan on spending all that money on lavish retreats.
  15. leftyg

leftyg

Well, last I looked it was up 25% with this AM's rush. That wouldn't be a bad return for a 24 hour investment.....if anyone actually bought and sold.
  16. stevefor2005

stevefor2005

Unable to wait until quarterly earnings are reported in April, the CEO made the news today by reporting earnings for January and February. Citii made several billion dollars in operating profits. What's not reported is the amount of writeoffs they'll have to take, like they've taken for the last 5 quarters, I believe. Also, what's not reported is the number of bad mortgages they'll be reporting as 'current' because they're temporarily authorizing people to pay only $500 per month. I've gotten better odds at Belmont. Just MHO.
  17. elmo16

elmo16

Based on this, I would think the best way to buy stocks would be on-line stock trading web sites like e-trade.
  18. Boywonder2

Boywonder2

I understand, thats why I feel its a gamble. The only question is whether or not the odds are favorable or not ?
  19. stevefor2005

stevefor2005

Sorry, but you're overlooking the most likely scenario, which is that the insiders take preferred positions while the general equity holders take it up the old wazoo. The government, the hedge funds, the vulture capitalists, etc., aren't looking to save the suckers who rode these stocks down. They'll kick in the money to save these companies only if they get the equity. The only upside is theirs....
  20. elmo16

elmo16

I found the link below when I Googles "Is Citigroup Inc. a good buy?"

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/citigroup-good-buy/story.aspx?guid={A02F53C1-74DB-4A8A-A817-D250BC2619A1}
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009