Can't get rid of stubborn pop-up ad.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by paulbunyon, Jul 18, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. SlickWilly

SlickWilly

i wish we could get rid of the UG spammer.
  2. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

To JustBill, Shorty and Bandaid--You guys rock!!

This is a little late but I want to thank JustBill, Shorty and Bandaid for their great advice in regards to the problems I was having that I described above. I used the techniques that they recommended and the computer in question has been fine for eight months now. I got rid of all the problems w/popups and since I installed Firefox as the web browser I've had very few problems. This is the computer I use for work by my parents house which some other relatives sometimes use.

Now if I can do something about the Amiga from 1986 that I use at home :)
    (Which gives me an idea for another thread!)
  3. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

Yes, Yes, hehehe.......
    Btw, several days now and still no Popcorn thank god. In fact, I never want to even hear that word again.
  4. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

Sorry been away for a few days guys but how could I have forgotten to give props to my man Bill, too. Okay Bill, Shorty gets a lapdance session with his favorite dancer at BU and how about for you a nice rub and tug at the AMP of your choice?!!!!!!!!
  5. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

No doubt......

Go for it, I'm not one for a LD.... well unless shes naked and I'm naked and shes gonna spin on my pole. And while I kid Paulie about "things" this after all is a place thats all about sharing information with each other and we can all learn something new and helpful, I know I do, all kidding aside.
  6. shorty

shorty

It wasn't a sharp stick....it was a blunt fat one. and it wasn't your eye he was aiming for.... LMAO......

Bill - I'm sure Paul is more than willing to toss the same offer to you. If not, you can have my session. I learned a thing or two from your posts and it's the least I CAN DO to thank you for the education.
  7. justbill_redux

Thanks for the sharp stick to the eye.
  8. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

Well, two full days now and still popcorn free. Hope its for good. I don't think I did any damage to the registry either.
    Shorty, it would be my pleasure to thank you with a session from Lola at BU, believe you me.
    Firefox sure sounds like the way to go. Thats next on my to-do list. Thanks you mongers for all the great info!
  9. genius

genius

I have been using both Firefox and for a few years now on my computers at home and also I have installed in on all the computers at work (small company). It has been trouble free, had been several steps ahead of IE in features (I don't know about IE in past two years as I have given up on it) and has very few security updates (compared to IE anyway).
    I also have Netscape installed on one of my home computers (the one I use for UG and the like) but only for the multiple password protected identities. This way my Bookmarks, automatic log ons to certain sites and history can be protected (from the non-computer savvy anyway which is all I care about). Netscape has some problems (annoyance actually) in that sometimes it becomes non-responding when I 1st log on (maybe 1/40 log-ons) requiring a reboot of the system.
  10. justbill_redux

RE: Windows update should be on automatic, but only to notify you that updates are available, I don’t recommend you allow Microsoft to have them (the updates) installed automatically. Had to rescue a few friends when their XP SP2 update got fucked up because they shut the machine off in the middle of the install because they had no idea or forgot it was running.

Also as an FYI some broadband ISPs have free downloads for antivirus/spyware/firewall software available. Both Road Runner and Optimum online have CAs eTrust EZ suite so be sure to check your ISPs home page. Read this page
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

and this one
    http://www.cert.org/nav/index_red.html

Oh 1 last thing switch to Firefox as your browser and use Thunderbird as the mail client, both are excellent programs.
  11. shorty

shorty

A quick session with Lola or any other A-List'er at BU will be suffice for a thank you.....
  12. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

You're the man Shorty! Yeah those patches from MS are something I always forget about but will try to remember to do ever so often. JB's article on the virus picked up from the banner on MySpace is alarming because it could happen on other websites too. I guess you really have to be careful what you click on-- Thats prolly how I got the fucking popcorn problem in the first place. (Actually, I'm sure my 12-year old nephew did it-- he was looking at some real nasty sites--I think we have a future UGer!!!) Bandaid really had a great idea to create a highly restricted user account, whch I will do ASAP.

Well, anyhow, I don't want to jinx myself but I think I finally got rid of the popup because I surfed for quite a while last night without it coming back. Previously it would pop-up after a few minutes on-line. It took me several hours but through a combination of Shorty's advice, JustBill's info and the process of elimination I think its gone. Hope I'm not speaking too soon but I'll see later. Can't thank you guys enough!!!!!
    (Now I just hope I didn't screw anything up too bad!!)
  13. shorty

shorty

Paul - don't worry about it not popping up on the left hand side. It may or may not appear. Based on what you've wrote, my suspicions of registry alterations was correct.

Bill's post brought up a good point - make sure you have the latest anti-virus software and the latest updates downloaded from their site. Both norton and mcafee have autumatic update settings. I recommend you turn them on to "yes".

One thing you also may want to do (again based on Bill's post above) is update your windows software. When microfuck finds out about potential problems with their programs, they send out patches to plug their holes in the their software. You can get them and download them automatically from your IE window. Click on the "Tools" menu line and select "windows update". It'll walk you through what you need to do. It's pretty simple to do.
  14. justbill_redux

Fyi

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5202452.stm

More than one million MySpace users could have been caught out by a banner advert that installs spyware via a Windows bug.

Those who fell victim were bombarded with pop-up adverts and had their net browsing habits monitored by the malicious software.

Reports suggest the advert has been running on MySpace for about a week.

The discovery of the rogue advert is only the latest in a series of security problems MySpace has suffered.

Security lapse

Only those who use MySpace via Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser and have not patched - or fixed - that program against the so-called Windows MetaFile (WMF) bug are vulnerable to the rogue advert.

The WMF bug was discovered in January 2006 and Microsoft produced a downloadable fix for it soon after. However, not all Windows users will have installed the patch and many people are likely to be vulnerable.

US computer security firm iDefense discovered the dangerous banner advert that has been seen on many MySpace pages. The code hidden in the advert exploits the WMF bug which preys on a weakness in the way Windows handles images.

On an unpatched browser the dangerous advert silently installs programs that pipe pop-up adverts to users and watches what they do online.

Digital detective work by iDefense and reported by the Washington Post uncovered computer servers which logged how many times the adware was installed.

Before the servers were shut down they had racked up more than one million installs.

Chris Boyd, director of Malware research at Facetime Security Labs, said sites such as MySpace and Orkut often felt like "gated communities" and made people feel more secure than they should.

"They might click something that outside of that community they would usually think twice about," he added.

"Any site has an increased risk of attack where a lot of customisation is possible," said Mr Boyd. "This level of customisation is what both attracts people to use the service, and what causes the most security issues."

Like many other blogging sites MySpace allows users to change their profile and alter the appearance of their personal page. But this ability to alter the basic code of the profile has been abused by some MySpace users and other companies.

In mid-July Mr Boyd discovered that an adware company was covertly using MySpace to circulate video clips that also installed programs that bombarded users with adverts. The company encouraged people to put the video clips in their profile and push them to other MySpace users they know.

In another incident, one MySpace user exploited a vulnerability in the widely used Flash program to re-direct people to a site questioning who was behind the 9/11 attacks on the US. This too exploited the flexibility of MySpace profiles.

Administrators at MySpace issued a warning about this re-direct and urged users to upgrade to version 9.0 of Flash to avoid the problem.

Other security researchers have discovered fake MySpace toolbars that also install adware.

No-one from MySpace was immediately available to comment on the spate of security problems that have hit the site.

One of the more famous MySpace security incidents took place in October 2005 by a user nicknamed "Samy". He added some code to his profile which automatically added himself to the list of friends many MySpace users maintain. Within hours he had racked up more than one million MySpace "buddies".

MySpace was shut down briefly while the offending code was removed from all the profiles it had infected.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  15. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

Thanks JB, you're a good man and monger!!
    I'll try this out. i've been trying to get rid of the fucking problem for the last few hours. Wish me luck.
  16. justbill_redux

Dont know if this will help you but its a free scan from TM

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

BTW you have to have some sort of working antivirus program on your machine at all times, Best investment you'll ever make.
  17. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

GoodMongers,
    Thanks again for taking the time to help rid me of this madness, but I'm not sure if I got it out. That popcorn.net is really fucking tricky. I could kill those responsble for it. Shorty, I followed your instrucions to a "T" but I'm still not sure if I got rid of it. I haven't checked he computer today because I'm at work right now but I had to go back and do your remedy two or three times last night because it kept popping up. At last check it didn't pop-up but I didn't surf too long. I'll check it out again in a little bit. You'll be proud of me though, I was careful not to fuck up the registry but I DID throw caution to the wind and didn't do the backup. Next thing you know I'll rip off the tags on my mattresses!!!
    JustBill, your Hope for Dummies link (very appropos!!) was a big help too and very educational but I think TrendMicro wants to get you into an agreement to use their Virus scanning download to compare whatever it brings up. Not sure but if I can do it without giving up my firstborn then I'll try it. I did try to find the malware file that they described but couldn't find it anywhere.
    Bandaid good call, if/when I clean up this mess I will create a highly resricted user account and maybe get an external harddrive too, so my crumbcrunching nephew can't fuck anything up again.

Shorty, before I forget, when I followed your steps "popcorn.net" did come up on the right-hand screen a few times. I deleted it like you said but I could never find it in the left-side "sub-catergories" screen. Maybe its hidden in some other file or folder? What do you think? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated before I do what you said and get out that hammer.
  18. Bandaid

Bandaid

Your nephew? Okay, there's the answer. He downloaded some free shit of some kind and picked it up. Once this nightmare is behind you, create a ****highly restricted*** user account that doesn't allow the ankle biters to install anything.

Listen, one of the best purchases you could make is an external hard drive. it serves several purposes: First, backup. They all come with backup software. Second, privacy. If you're downloading stuff you don't want the kiddies or others to find, then download it to the external drive. When the house apes are around, the drive goes in a drawer. Use a cleaner program to clean out the temporary files and cache from your computer. They can't see what isn't there.

External hard drives don't cost a ton of money anymore. You can get a 160GB or even 200GB for about $140. I'm sorry. 140 roses.
  19. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

Very funny!!!! Yeah, I almost went medevil on it and I swear I would bitchslap the douchebag responsible for the fucking malware I got. Last time I let my nephew use my computer. God knows what he clicked.
  20. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

Hey thanks guys for the quick responses. You're the best and make UG the great site it is! I will try the remedies later tonight and if they work then LAPDANCES AT BU OR YOUR FAVORITE SPOT ON ME!!!!!!.......... : )

I dunno Shorty, I think I better do a registry backup before I start just in case.