Chelsea Hotel

Discussion in 'Craigs list & Backpage' started by ilovenegril, Jan 12, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. jjred675

jjred675

i guess i should have gotten a little more technical when i brought this up. i didn't want to go over anyone's head or come across as unbelievable. some people simply don't believe it when i tell them about it...oh well.

yeah, the new stuff that's being worked on allows snoopers to see what's on a monitor through walls, from a major distance with no access to the wire. they're figuring out how to translate electro-magnetic emissions from computer monitors into what is actually displayed on the screen. now put that in yer pipe and smoke it!
  2. Bandaid

Bandaid

I agree, but it isn't called "Carnivore" anymore, not that that matters. The technology being used is pretty much straight commercial stuff and way ahead of what the original Carnivore was, which was an FBI program. Maybe the NSA operates it and everybody uses it these days.

It was data mining that plunged into the huge mass of raw data and came up with Mohammed Atta's name a year before September 11. That technology is being used for everything from foreign intelligence to sales trends.

Finding secret transmissions is still really hard, with the various cryptographic methods available, including steganography, which can do stuff like hide messages in images, so that an order to attack an airliner can be hidden in the pussy lips of a CL girl.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  3. Thorn

Thorn

Carnivore isn't police, FBI or DoJ. It is NSA and is housed in a low, black, windowless building located in Rockville, MD.

It houses a multitude of super computers that scour anything that is transmitted. Open air or wire. It searches for keywords. When finding same it tags the transmission to be reviewed by human ears or eyes.

However, the amount is so vast that only a small segment of it gets actually reviewed.

It was from Carnivor, though months after the fact, that we have information regarding cellphone and ******s containing references to airplane pilot lessens in Florida and jet airlines being used as guided missles.

It is still in place, still being used and its capablities expanded. Though there is something in the works that will make it out dated in about 10 years, IF it gets fully funded and actually works.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  4. jjred675

jjred675

yeah, i love when i'm banging a chick and she pukes vodka all over me.
  5. Bandaid

Bandaid

I saw a nude poster of Janis she made for a concert and she looked better than you'd have thought. Hers was one of the sadder cases you run into; some people just can't stop destroying themselves.
  6. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie

Didn't you and Cohen doubleteam Janis Joplin together? I'm guessing her cooch was kind of loose and probably unkempt.
  7. jjred675

jjred675

band-aid, i agree with you on all points.
  8. Bandaid

Bandaid

Carnivore was being set up by the FBI under the pretext of catching terrorists and mobsters, but it was really for the purpose of catching nasty prostitutes and the sinful men who wanted to stick their wieners in them. Carnivore has since been abandoned in favor of commercial packet sniffers. In other words, Carnivore was a big deal at the time but now basically anybody can do it.

The current systems listen for trigger words to initiate a save. Otherwise, there's just too much data for even them to analyze. So, most snooping is restricted to select targets. The barriers are much higher for them to listen for "ordinary" crimes than for enemy communications.

The built-in protection is that there's petabytes of data moving each and every day. Not even the FBI can listen to all of it.

As to the surveillance cameras, there was a girl murdered near one of our locations once, and the police wanted to look at our surveillance cameras to see if there was anything on them. They offered to give us a subpoena for them because they know companies often want to stay out of the middle of stuff like that. We were perfectly happy to make tapes for them (our system uses a hard drive) but we said 'go ahead and get a subpoena and the tapes will be ready when you get here.' That's how it turned out.

The cops have long been able to watch MetroCards -- it's helped them in a bunch of serious cases. The same thing can be done with EZ Pass.

That cell phone shit has to be squelched quick. I don't think the sales of these records is "legal," but it's going on, apparently, and needs to be stopped. In the meantime, pay-as-you-go phones and so on can help if you're doing something you absolutely have to keep private.
  9. jjred675

jjred675

LE can do anything they damn well please. they eavesdrop on any digital or copper-carried transmission they want. the code name of the system they use is called CARNIVORE. there is also an international version of a similar system codenamed ECHELON that the UK, USA, Australia and others use in cooperation with each other. there was a huge controversy about the legality of LE being able to do this back in the late 90's. Earthlink/Mindspring ran a big ad campaign about it, albeit touting privacy rather than the actual bs LE was pulling. they were the last of the major ISP's who caved in and ultimately submitted to the LE demands to allow the LE systems to access those of the IP's in a covert manner. earthlink tried to fight it, but ultimately lost.

if you think i'm making this up or am crazy, go research it. look at any recent bruce schneier book. he is THE authority on this stuff.

now, as for them manipulating craigslist or having some sort of influence, one must always assume the worst to stay safe. guessing at whether they do or don't is a waste of time if you want to stay safe. you must always assume the worst.

now, i know for a fact that LE can track a single metro card's use to a single turnstyle. they can track a card based on the credit card used to purchase it. they can tap copper lines and they can take surveillance tapes from stores and buildings without needing a warrant. they just do it. sometimes the people that own the video cameras just fork it right over, sometimes they object and the cops just take it. the bottom line is, who gives a fuck if LE has influence over craigslist? are any of us really that dumb to think that LE isn't on UG, craiglist or listening to our cell calls?

oh yeah, did you know that, for $110, you can legally buy anyone's cell phone records that show you who someone called and the GPS-determined location they made the call from? if you don't believe me check the news... or this: http://www.policeone.com/copnews/122108/
  10. vermeer

vermeer

i don't think the chelsea has any hoor action going on. the owner sits in front of the elevator, so he knows everything that goes on there. its a quasi-upscale hotel for rich bohemians who want to slum.

i lived there in the 60's and leonard cohen was my neighbor. we used to ganagbang hippy chicks together on acid.
  11. Mistercinders

Mistercinders

Ebay

Ebay bought a 25% minority share
  12. REVIEWERONE

REVIEWERONE

i think i remember hearing that craigs list was sold some time last year to EBay. i would agree with the poster that craigs list is working with LE and take down posts that might hit home
  13. ilovenegril

ilovenegril

that's quite a valuable contribution to the discussion. very clever.
  14. flabbergasted

flabbergasted

Seems like Ilove knows everything so case settled.
  15. ilovenegril

ilovenegril

I know for a fact that this is not always the case. Particularly when they are targeting the girls, in a location that has become too high profile. Numerous girls were dragged out of the Days Inn in the 30's over the course of several weeks this past fall.
  16. Bandaid

Bandaid

I doubt that. Suppose that the Chelsea Hotel itself became aware of the ad and objected to it? Would you want your hotel identified as a hot-sheet motel if it wasn't? If it was true that the cops could take down ads that compromised their stings, then every other one of the countless alerts and warnings clogging up CL are bullshit.

Any stings that get set up are done for a few hours at a time, and then the location changes for the next time. You put your finger on the reason yourself: word gets out.
  17. ilovenegril

ilovenegril

How would some CL staffer know whether info about LE activity was true or not? And there's hardly any reason to post the address of a well-known NYC landmark.
    The only plausible conclusion I can draw is that CL has some sort of agreement with LE to remove posts that might compromise LE operations.
  18. blondekelly

blondekelly

It may not have been true and also you are not supposed to post immediate addresses when you post about someone else, I had someone post my address and Craig took it down right away so that may be the case.
  19. ilovenegril

ilovenegril

Kelly,

No doubt you know more about this than I do. I'm not thinking there's a vice squad cop sitting in CL's office, but, other than cooperation with LE, what reason would CL staff have to immediately remove a post warning hobbyists of an LE operation?
  20. blondekelly

blondekelly

It is up to CL staff to take posts down, if they feel they are not true or give too much specific info in the posting then they will remove it all together. I am sure LE monitors CL from the outside but I am sure Craig himself would not allow them to monitor from the inside.