Classic NY sleaze is back!!

Discussion in 'New York' started by vermeer, Mar 4, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. elmo16

elmo16

What's funny? don't keep us in the dark. Do tell, do tell.
  2. justlooking

justlooking

Funny you should ask.
  3. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

The Harmony as everyone has idealized it in thier memories is all there is!!

That's all we have to go on. Same as it ever was. As it ought to be. All there is.

Have you read Kant or Hegel?
  4. justlooking

justlooking

Not the Harmony as it was. The Harmony as everybody's idealized it in their imaginative memories.
  5. elmo16

elmo16

There were times when the old Harmony only had fat, ugly, bored old bags and everyone knows how disgustingly filthy that place could be. So yeah, this place could be compared to the Harmony.
  6. vermeer

vermeer

my taste in films is way better than my taste in hooas

7. elmo16

elmo16

I just copied that from some web site.
  8. conoworld

conoworld

Hey elmo ever thought of being a movie critic, you beet eggbert and roper hands down!!! might be something to think about?
  9. elmo16

elmo16

Well I got to Google page 35 on my search for Vermeer and this is all I got.

Maybe I should Google less and hobby more.
  10. elmo16

elmo16

This is the movie mentioned above:

Colin Firth plays Jan Vermeer in the film The Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003)

Filmed winter 2002/2003 in Luxembourg.
    U.K. premiere 7 November 2003
    U.S. premiere (in L.A. and N.Y.C.) 12 December 2003 [limited release]

SCREENING/IN COMPETITION:
    -- at the Toronto International Film Festival 7 September 9.30 pm, 2003.
    -- at the San Sebastian International Film Festival 18-27 September, 2003
    -- at the Telluride Film Festival August/September 2003
    -- at the London Film Festival 30 October 2003

SCREENPLAY: Olivia Hetreed. Adaption based on of Tracy Chevalier's bestselling book Girl With A Pearl Earring, 1999.

DIRECTOR: Peter Webber

PRODUCERS: Archer Street Productions [uk], Lions Gate Films Inc.[ca], Pathé

CAST: Colin Firth (Jan Vermeer), Scarlett Johansson [Griet], Tom Wilkinson [Van Ruijven], Cillian Murphy, Alakina Mann [Cornelia], Essie Davis [Catharina], Judy Parfitt [Maria Thins], David Morrissey

STORYLINE: Girl with a Pearl Earring tells the story of Griet, a 16-year-old Dutch girl who becomes a maid in the house of the painter Johannes Vermeer. Her calm and perceptive manner not only helps her in her household duties, but also attracts the painter's attention. Though different in upbringing, education and social standing, they have a similar way of looking at things. Vermeer slowly draws her into the world of his paintings - the still, luminous images of solitary women in domestic settings. In contrast to her work in her master's studio, Griet must carve a place for herself in a chaotic Catholic household run by Vermeer's volatile wife Catharina, his shrewd mother-in-law Maria Thins, and their fiercely loyal maid Tanneke. Six children (and counting) fill out the household, dominated by six-year-old Cornelia, a mischievous girl who sees more than she should.

On the verge of womanhood, Griet also contends with the growing attentions both from a local butcher and from Vermeer's patron, the wealthy van Ruijven. And she has to find her way through this new and strange life outside the loving Protestant family she grew up in, now fragmented by accident and death. As Griet becomes part of her master's work, their growing intimacy spreads disruption and jealousy within the ordered household and even - as the scandal seeps out - ripples in the world beyond.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  11. elmo16

elmo16

Someone named Coen Veermeer made a list of his top movie picks:

Taxi Driver 1. Taxi Driver (1976)
    Clockwork Orange, A 2. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
    Killer, The 3. Die xue shuang xiong (1989)
    Fireworks 4. Hana-bi (1997)
    Pulp Fiction 5. Pulp Fiction (1994)
    Godfather: Part II, The 6. The Godfather : Part II (1974)
    Citizen Kane 7. Citizen Kane (1941)
    Vertigo 8. Vertigo (1958)
    Once Upon a Time in the West 9. C'era una volta il West (1968)
    Wages of Fear, The 10. Le Salaire de la peur (1953)
    Léon 11. Léon (1994)
    Blade Runner 12. Blade Runner (1982)
    True Romance 13. True Romance (1993)
    Blood Simple 14. Blood Simple (1984)
    Save the Planet! 15. Jigureul jikyeora! (2003)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 16. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Vol au dessus d'un nid de coucou (1975)
    Trainspotting 17. Trainspotting (1996)
    Tombstone for Fireflies 18. Hotaru no haka (1988)
    Chungking Express 19. Chong qing sen lin (1994)
    Diabolique 20. Les Diaboliques (1955)
    Coen Vermeer:
    21. Usual Suspects
    22. Yojimbo
    23. Big Lebowski
    24. American Beauty
    25. Amelie
    26. Magnolia
    27. Branded to Kill
    28. Hard Boiled
    29. Gattaca
    30. Walkabout

to be continued
  12. elmo16

elmo16

I also that there is someone named Vermeer who posts on a Photoshop Elements user forum. This Vermeer says that he lives Illinois. I guess I have way too much time on my hands.
  13. jchmod

jchmod

There is a movie with the same title as Vermeer's painting. It stars Scarlett Johanson as the aforementioned girl. Not to start another fuck fantasy thread, but she is one I would definately like to bend over a desk and take from behind!
  14. manohgod2

manohgod2

Vermeer is also: Vermeer Dutch Chocolate Cream Liqueur is a sweet tasting liqueur made of Dutch chocolate, cream and vodka. It was created by Maurice Kanbar, the inventor of SKYY vodka.

Vermeer can be consumed with ice on the rocks, and it can be mixed in a chocolate martini cocktail or added to coffee or hot chocolate. It can also help create sauces for various types of food products such as ice cream.

Vermeer is 34 alcoholic proof (17% alcohol by volume) and is available in 700ml (EU), 750ml (US) and 50ml bottle sizes within a signature bottle labelled with an image of Johannes Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring.
  15. fulltimehobbyist

fulltimehobbyist

JJ, thanks. This clears up the whole thing. Nothing to write home about (alas!) Neither of the things mentioned by you are of any interest to me personally and perhaps to many other hobbyists.
    Thanks again.
  16. Harmony Memories

Harmony Memories Guest

Nothing of the sort. Even though the building is 6 floors, I don't think more than 2 0r 3 would be of any interest to anybody here.

The site hosts parties of various sorts, on different nights. Friday is the "foot party", which has some very pretty girls, but very limited bang for your buck, unless you are a total foot fetishist. I heard another "foot" promoter is also using the building on occassion.
    Then there are the 'lap Dance" parties, which have been mentioned on this site. Never been, and most of the reviews have not been great . An S&M type party used to be on Wednesdays, not sure if it's still there.
    I know some nights are Swinger affairs, and some "Gay" nights as well .

So it isn't really one place per se, like the Harmony was. Instead, it is more a space used by different promoters for different purposes
  17. elmo16

elmo16

I Googled "Vermeer" and this is what I found:

Jan or Johannes Vermeer van Delft, b. October 1632, d. December 1675, a Dutch genre painter who lived and worked in Delft, created some of the most exquisite paintings in Western art.

His works are rare. Of the 35 or 36 paintings generally attributed to him, most portray figures in interiors. All his works are admired for the sensitivity with which he rendered effects of light and color and for the poetic quality of his images.

This sounds just like the Vermeer who often posts here. This explains his choice of screen names.
  18. JIMYDR

JIMYDR

Whats the deal!
  19. vermeer

vermeer

it's the last authentic dirty raincoat experience.

20. vermeer

vermeer

I know. the stairwell is full of watermellon pits, and empty bottles of grape soda.