Coffee and coffee houses

Discussion in 'Food and Wine' started by Lascivious, May 26, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. jyris

jyris

Small World in Princeton.
  2. studman

studman

Where

OK you aficionado coffee mongers, now how about some suggestions for coffee houses in the CNJ area, other than Starbucks?????????
  3. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Funny you mention this place. I walked by it last Thurs. night on my way to Sidetracks and saw some artsy young professionial types in there.
  4. vermeer

vermeer

no, i just give them $20 and send their ass to H&M.

where are the other juan valdez stores?

5. DoNotDisturb

DoNotDisturb

Mr WetWooly - Since you seem to be in my neck of the woods quite a bit, there is a coffee house on the SE corner of 39th PL and Queens Blvd.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I did stop in for a smoothie. Place use to be a laundromat / luggage store / arcade in it's other lifetimes. There is internet connection, comfy leather chairs, and a young blonde latina behind the counter :). Has a feel of a yuppie/hipster joint - something you would find on the UWS.
    They have a kitchen with some sort of menu - I do recall paninis though. Have seen some nice eye candy lounging around on occassion
  6. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Juan Valdez is a chain. It's all over the city. It beats Starbucks, I'll say that.

Veermy goes to one on 57th after he hits Bloomie's with his girls.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  7. vermeer

vermeer

The Juan Valdez store on 57th and lex has great coffee, and nice cunts
  8. rough1

rough1

Getting back to NEW Amsterdam, my longtime fave is "Fairway Blend" from (surprise!) Fairway. IIRC its >$5/pound.

Their "Cross Bronx Espresso" is pretty damn good too and probably the best coffee name in the city, if not the world.
  9. Wandering Bull

Wandering Bull

and the herring sandwich vendors.
  10. Febo!
  11. beeker

beeker

12. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Tres!

1. Hydro indoor Leprechaun and a can of Heineken
    2. Suck 'n fuck (when it was guilders, not euros!!)
    3. Those weird little fried foods you get out of those machines with the little sliding windows.
  13. daengman

daengman

They do in deed have some good coffee shops. But if you're in Amsterdam and looking for coffee houses instead of whorehouses, you are not a true hobbyist.
  14. Lascivious

Lascivious

Mr Wooly, the misses got sick of me, my six pack(unfortunately not abs) of bud, and any sports on the tube. So now, I'm a "sophisticated" gourmet coffee connoisseur, who's interested in plays and literature. Talking about a woman having a midlife crisis. Geez, thank god for amps. Though it is interesting on how many difffernt kinds of beans, blends, roasts, etc etc in coffee world. I use to know Folgers and Maxwell house in the good old days before Starbucks. And a cappucino after an Italian dinner was the reward of a lifetime.
  15. Wandering Bull

Wandering Bull

Coffee in Amsterdam. Twas damn expensive but good. Also quite necessary after an evening of jeniver (sp? it's a gin) and beer. There used to be a great local coffee house -- ( Local - like walking into Dantes in Little Italy and everyone peeks at you over the Il Progresso News ) It was across from the main train station just below the church. You could sit outside and watch the people play dodge the trams.
  16. The problem with tea is that THC is fat soluble not water soluble.
  17. njman2

njman2

They have coffee - pretty good too.

They also have teabags that are supposed to get you high. The good feeling sans the bad carcinogens. After four cups I didn't feel anything much.
  18. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Lascivious,

If you're trying to be more "sophisticated", I guess the best gourmet coffee house to bring up at a cocktail party is Porto Rico in the Village. Wonderful selection of beans from around the world and the store itself is beautiful.

Brasil Coffee House in LIC has excellent cafezinho, the Brazilian expresso. It's also a cafe with some nice eye candy.
  19. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

LOL. I was in those coffee houses for a week, and I have no recollection of ever trying the coffee.

Do they even have coffee???