color?

Discussion in 'New York' started by burgoyne, Jun 29, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

I just learned what a Tuvan is yesterday and today I read this post! A classic example of the "Flyshit Theory" in action.
    take care HP
  2. mercydancer

mercydancer

Oh my goddess!! We have things in common.

Still get stopped all the time for wearing a yellow hat with red flames on it,or being female with a leather jacket and vest that says ride free or die,or because why if I'm white looking but living in a black and hispanic neighborhood.

Or the best excuse ever:

because you look out of place.

Now that one really made me laugh.My white,blond,blue eyed son gets followed around in the stores (he looks out of place),my sister gets told she has to move out of the neighborhood or they can't guarantee her safety(not that she needs any help),etc.

It's rapidly becoming a white lace or "other" world out there.But I have to be honest on this one. I have been on the receiving side of prejudice more often from black and hispanic people than from whites.Don't understand it but I guess I never will.

How many times have I gotten into arguments with my own club bro's on this subject or with civilians on our use of the stars and bars,or because I wear a ring with german military markings on it.They don't even bother to get to know me as a person because they are too busy associating me with either a color of skin or a lifestyle.

Their loss.
  3. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

For the record, I'm fairly certain that racial disclosure on census forms is optional and only defined by self identification (i.e. - if you think that you're Tuvan-American - then put Tuvan-American).

While cops will fuck with just about anyone, I think you can show a fairly strong statistical bias to their fucking with non-whites (some dead sociologist would point out that social institutions tend to protect the hegemony, but then someone else would call him a stupid commie).
  4. trebor

trebor

why here?

Long time lurker drawn out by this thread.
    Why I should find this here and not in my regular world? I dunno! I just hope that the world outside of cyberspace will evolve with half the enlightenment and human dignity that has been exhibited here.
    Couldn't keep silent, oK back to lurking.
  5. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

"Now has any white person here ever been pulled over, stopped had a gun pointed at them for doing nothing"

Yes. But I'm sure it wasn't because I was Jewish.
  6. Ezrlove

Ezrlove

Thats the whole point Judge, you can fool them.
  7. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

I pass for a pillar of society.

[Edited by Judge Crater on 07-25-2001 at 05:04 PM]
  8. wimpy

wimpy

Destiny - Zoe will valid date somethings I say. "To much like her brother." Lousy excuse but her choice. Nikita - Well I heard many things from providers who are Russian, and many are scared because of underworld activity. Now if I was a Russian man, I'd be damn made. But its her choice.

Judge - As man who has had is face down in snow, witha cop pointing a gun, only because me and two of my friends were waking home from a roller skating ring in Elmont in the early 1980's. I have been stopped by cops probably 25 times in my life and all its is is profiling. I never dressed what today is considered like a thug. All it was is dark color of my skin. And when you think of the police they are supposed to be on my side. Now has any white person here ever been pulled over, stopped had a gun pointed at them for doing nothing. And I don't mean those who have been robbed :) BY a cop. Its amazing that a balck or latino cop has never stopped me for anything. And yeah there are many bad white, black and latino cops out there.
  9. popelcha

popelcha

Well i asked Zoe, and she said it feels too close to home. Like he could be her brother. Nikita a Russian girl also feels the same way about seeing Russian clients.

Destiny
  10. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

"Also try walking down 125th Street at 1 am some hot summer night"

Do it only a little less than "all the time". Also attend several 'events' where I am in the extreme minority ( got a huge laugh from a dancer a few weeks ago. She asked me if it were my "first time" at one of the events. When I said "hell no", she asked why she hadn't noticed me before. Told her it's because I "blend in". I almost ended up wearing her drink, but she managed to cover her mouth and hold it in ).
  11. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

Who is comfortable in America? Anybody? I think not.

[Edited by Judge Crater on 07-25-2001 at 05:03 PM]
  12. wimpy

wimpy

Justme,

While you are right, I disagree with the fundamentals. Because the media makes everything black and white. And that is unfair!! While I would not consider myself 100% black. My paternal grandmother is white, my maternal grandfather is white. I am so light skin a am always asked if I come from South America. Then why on the census do I have to check African American, when the 10 generations of my family have not come from Africa. I think the point that is missing is unfortunately the world is black and white, and depending on who you talk to there may be different shades of black and white. And the sterotypes while we have them for all race and religions, are more relevant for a black or hispanic man. And that is the bottom line.

I do not pretend to know what it is to be Jewish, Asian, or any other race, creed, or religion but my own. I remember watching a movie many years back that dealt with a black man and his dealing with being black in America. And in the movie he was explaining being black in terms of being noticed in the street(1960's). And the words were something like:

"After a hard day of work, being made to sit on the back of the bus. I get home and go to sleep. I dream of how hard it is, because people only see the color of my skin not the knowledge I have acquired or the love in my heart. When I wake up in the morning and take a shower I think of what our fore fathers said, that all men are created equal in this great country of ours. As I step out of the shower and clear away the mist on the mirror, I realize that I am black and the same problems I had yesterday are the same I will have today."
  13. Ezrlove

Ezrlove

Justme - Your point is well taken
  14. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Everyone wishes for a return to innocence at least some of the time. Unfortunately it's lost forever the first time you're discriminated against.

EZ - I hope I'm not so ignorant either. My point is that while I agree with your ascertation that people first see you as a black man, I can guarantee you that people see others as brown men, or yellow men, or whatever. The world isn't black and white (although, in this country, it is far too often white and other).
  15. MrNY

MrNY Subject to blackouts

"Jewish street trash" ?!?!? Oiy-ge-valt .......

16. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

Interesting thread.

[Edited by Judge Crater on 07-25-2001 at 05:03 PM]
  17. wimpy

wimpy

I don't believe this is will explode, but I think the issue is simple and while in the hobby it may seem to be not there, there is racism...In the Hobby...in work...everyday. And not just for blacks and Latinos. I only can speak for myself...a black man...And I say Black because that is the name society has given to me, my pigmation gender. Agreeing with EZ I say I walk down the street I am noticed as a black man. I go for an interview I am noticed that I am a black man. I walk into a provider's place of business, and I am noticed as a black man. Now, many of the providers I see this is not an issue but, if the honestly thought about their first reaction of Wimpy is "He's a black man". And its a part of life we all live with. And there are a few providers who know who I am on the board so they can say either he's right or wrong. But in the end for hobby purposes it does not matter.
  18. thelastone

thelastone

Re: Re: Not Just Color

I'm with mercy on this one, this is just a powderkeg waiting to explode into an 10 page long thread. I have cancelled 2 reply posts already. However, I will be avidly reading the thread, like the lurker I am. :)

last
  19. Ezrlove

Ezrlove

Justme - I know you are not as ignorant as that supervisor is.
  20. MrNY

MrNY Subject to blackouts

Oh, that would be "Great" .......