Crank – The movie

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by justbill_redux, Sep 4, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. beeker

beeker

stop pissing-wake da fuck up!

stop wasting any amount of bandwith were all seeking to remain anonymous- not brawl face to face.
    any of the guys on this board- unless you are making 150k plus
    a year- and have a nest egg to ride out the next depression
    are never going to have it better in your own hometown- then
    you do right now! Nassau is more than 50 percent minority- local/state
    lawmakers clearly are intimidated by a strong latino/asian presence.
    Your best intrests are not at heart- David Mejias is well spoken.
    hes the best example of the new face of NY - at the moment-What do
    you really think LI is going to to have in store for a white guy,
    divorced or married that cant afford to remain in the town he grew up in. Hicksville Long island- Little India
    dubya supporters - are you supportive of bush policies? or do you
    fancy yourself a Libertarian- A true liberterian would have no part
    of most republicans here and now- stem cells that might unlock
    YOUR cancer- whether or not YOUR daughters/sidepieces should carry
    out a pregnancy-smoking MJ in YOUR own fucking home-
    taking YOUR own time in selecting the most appealing woman in
    a clean well lit setting without bait/switch(dutch experience)
    No the iluminati and rumcheney inc dont give a shit what your opinion is
    they have the religious right, a lilttle voter fraud and thats enough
    to swing it. I am a non- educated xenophobe- lets see a poll on that
  2. beeker

beeker

stop pissing-wake da fuck up!

stop wasting any amount of bandwith were all seeking to remain anonymous- not brawl face to face.
    any of the guys on this board- unless you are making 150k plus
    a year- and have a nest egg to ride out the next depression
    are never going to have it better in your own hometown- then
    you do right now! Nassau is more than 50 percent minority- local/state
    lawmakers clearly are intimidated by a strong latino/asian presence.
    Your best intrests are not at heart- David Mejias is well spoken.
    hes the best example of the new face of NY - at the moment-What do
    you really think LI is going to to have in store for a white guy,
    divorced or married that cant afford to remain in the town he grew up in. Hicksville Long island- Little India
    dubya supporters - are you supportive of bush policies? or do you
    fancy yourself a Libertarian- A true liberterian would have no part
    of most republicans here and now- stem cells that might unlock
    YOUR cancer- whether or not YOUR daughters/sidepieces should carry
    out a pregnancy-smoking MJ in YOUR own fucking home-
    taking YOUR own time in selecting the most appealing woman in
    a clean well lit setting without bait/switch(dutch experience)
    No the iluminati and rumcheney inc dont give a shit what your opinion is
    they have the religious right, a lilttle voter fraud and thats enough
    to swing it. I am a non- educated xenophobe- lets see a poll on that
  3. klarch

klarch banned

Get someone to make me shut up if you can.
  4. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

Shut up junior. The adults are talking here.
  5. klarch

klarch banned

Learn to quote your sources correctly then. But you won't because you think others should help you out. Pathetic.
  6. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

Considering other statements she's made, I don't think it is obvious at all. It is pretty much in keeping with the rest of her bullshit rhetoric. Seems rather dishonest of you to try and let her off the hook so easily. I could claim that Bill Maher was obviously joking as well but I really don't know so I wouldn't say that.
  7. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

You are an idiot. I did not make the statement, Coulter did. Take up your history lesson with her.
  8. klarch

klarch banned

Thanks for clearing that up. Judging from his posts a joke doesn't seem to be the only thing his misses.
  9. argleby

argleby

I think you're misunderstanding the quote, which I also did at first. That's because it's poorly worded and Davenj didn't bother finding it in context. A more accurate version is:

COULTER: "I think we had enough laws about the turn-of-the-century. We don't need any more." Asked how far back in time would she go to repeal laws: "Well, before the New Deal." Asked if she was talking about the Emancipation Proclamation: "That would be a good start."

--Comedy Central; Politically Incorrect; May 7, 1997.

She's obviously joking, something Davenj somehow missed.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Ann_Coulter
  10. klarch

klarch banned

The New Deal had nothing to do with the Emancipation Proclamation, it describes Franklin D. Roosevelt's legislative agenda for "rescuing" the United States from the Great Depression in the 1930's.
  11. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

Pardon me for assuming you were intelligent enough to get the point.

It is you who is missing the point. For Ann Coulter to say that repealing the Emancipation Proclomation would be a good start suggests a huge amount of hostility towards a large segment of the American population (much more hostile by the way than saying a group of people are stupid). She may not be as transparent or display her contempt in the same way you feel liberals do, but then it is just an issue of style and you just don't like what you perceive as the democrats style. And how is it you are so sure she was making a joke anyway? It is pretty much in keeping with many of her other statements.

I fail to see the difference between massive criticisms of liberals, women, blacks, amongst other groups and a statement like Michael Moore's except that Michael Moore's comment seems more benign compared to the venom this bitch spits out daily.

Now I for one am intelligent enough to know that she does not speak for all republicans. You should be as honest and realize someone like Michael Moore does not speak for all or even most democrats.
  12. argleby

argleby

I should add, btw, that I'm sure somebody will now dig up a quote from a conservative calling America a stupid country or something similar. I shouldn't speak in absolutes. I should've said I hear that kind of statement much more from the left than from the right.

Which I do.

Btw, I recently came across a website called stupidcountry.blogspot.com. Guess where it stands politcally.
  13. argleby

argleby

God, you really are stupid. You described it as a gag in your first post! That is, not a good gag or a bad gag, but intended to be funny, right? The way you described it, what else could it be?

And now you're criticizing me because I assumed your description was accurate?

If it wasn't a gag, why didn't you mention that 10 posts ago?

Read my first post again, dummy. I wrote, referring to people who laugh at jokes like the one you described, "There are morons everywhere." In other words, I acknowledged your point that it was a bad joke only a moron would laugh at.

If the scene you described was intended to be a dramatic moment, say so, and explain why you've waited until now to let that information drop. Otherwise, you're being just stupid again.
  14. argleby

argleby

Michael Moore said almost the exact same thing you did, stupid. He was speaking for you. What are you complaining about?

When Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell say something I agree with, I'll defend them. When they don't, I won't.

If you disagree with what Michael Moore said, then say so. If you don't, then defend him. It's not too complicated.

But you're not doing either; you're trying to change the subject.
  15. argleby

argleby

Jesus, talk about missing the point. Exactly where in this thread have I said, or implied, or hinted, that conservatives don't engage in partisan attacks against their political opponents? Or that they're never nasty or unpleasant?

Nowhere. My point throughout has been that I don't hear the same kind of broad expressions of contempt for the American people (e.g., "Who says Americans aren't dumb?") from the right as I do from the left.

In none of the Coulter quotes you provide does she do that. In order, she 1) attacks the "Democratic Party," 2) attacks an individual she was having a political argument with, 3) states an opinion (actually, attempts a joke) about the number of laws in the United States and 4) attacks swing voters.

None of them are expressions of contempt for America or the American people as a whole.

You've demonstrated that Ann Coulter can be a nasty, mean bitch. Well done, and I agree. Unfortunately, that's got nothing to do with what I was saying.

Yeah, I can repeat my statement with a straight face: I don't hear the same kind of broad expressions of contempt for the American people as a whole coming from the right as I do from the left.

Statements like "[Americans] are possibly the dumbest people on the planet." Or "[America] is a stupid country with stupid people..." Or "Who says Americans aren't dumb?"

Next time, you might want to get clear on what the point you're disputing actually is before you argue against it.
  16. argleby

argleby

Again, in context, his words don't mean anything different. Again, why are you bending over backwards to say this guy didn't really mean what he said?

Besides which, in both your posts you avoid my main point which is (to repeat for the third time) that I don't hear those kind of statements of contempt for America in general from people on the right. It's pretty hard to imagine Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity saying either the Moore or Maher quote.
  17. argleby

argleby

I think Michael Moore said that Americans "are possibly the dumbest people on the planet," because that's what Michael Moore believes.

Those are the words he chose to use, why shouldn't they be taken at face value? In context, they don't mean anything different. Why are you bending over backwards (e.g., "he may be referring to") to say he didn't mean what he said?

Quoting is by definition selective. I quoted what was most relevant to my point. I provided links to the sources and, as I said, the context of either quote doesn't materially change its meaning. What's your complaint?
  18. argleby

argleby

You're missing the point. The statements I quoted weren't just normal animosity towards political opponents, which is what you're talking about; they were expressions of contempt for the American people in general.

I think Howard Dean's "I hate the Republicans and everything they stand for" rhetoric is reprehensible, but it's not contemptuous of the American people as a whole. The statements I quoted from Michael Moore and Bill Maher are. (And so is juststupid's post that started this thread, for that matter.)

Again, I don't hear that stuff coming from the right.
  19. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Bill,

Does any of this really suprise you? Honestly? I was raised on 80s films (The Delta Force, Invasion U.S.A., Navy Seals, Iron Eagle, etc.) that depict all Arabs as maniacal, violent, heartless terrorists. This is nothing new. Those are the images we grew up, that was what we went fight in the first Gulf War.

LOL. New Yorkers aren't dumb. Just don't see movies in midtown at 34th or 42nd. Filled with New Jerseyers and, even worse, Lawn Guylanders.

I saw Factotum at the IFC on 6th Ave (have to love any theater with a bar in it) and I was suprised when the audience got up and cheered after the Al Franken movie trailer. It looks hilarious, btw.
  20. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

I guess it’s a gag that innocent people, even in a movie, get their ass kicked and bones broken just to satisfy some misplaced sense of "justice". Here you go, a compassionate conservative at his very very best.