Cuban Cigars

Discussion in 'Food and Wine' started by SlickLeg, Feb 21, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. ciscook

ciscook

Just finished a Cuban montecristo #1. It is a real good smoke. About 5 1/2x 45 ring. My buddy duked me 3 of these. I still feel that most Cuban cigars are over rated. Many of the Dominician's are ALMOST as good for a lot less money. My regular smokes consist of Padron Anniversario, Gurka's and La Aurora gold tubes. I am stocking up in case our new pres ups the taxes again. Right now I have over 300 cigars in stock.
    The main thing is to enjoy whatever you smoke.
    How about a UG cigar night in NNJ?
  2. RuffToy

RuffToy

On Feb 7, 1962 Pres. Kennedy imposed the trade embargo with Cuba.
    On Feb 6, 1962 Pres. Kennedy ordered Pierre Salinger to obtain 1000 H. Upmann Cuban cigars.

Dontcha just loves politics!!!
  3. Gavvy Cravath

Gavvy Cravath Moderator Emeritus

Figure this thread deserves a bump...
  4. Mr. Sinatra

Mr. Sinatra

Martinez Cigars

Talk to Jesus. It's on 28th just east of 7th. They private label a great cigar with a Cohiba lookalike type label. They call it a Don Antonio.

I think the freshness and quality of the cigar is fantastic. Who gives a shit what the label looks like.

Lemme know what you think.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2003
  5. ciscook

ciscook

Cubans

Slickleg:
    I will be at JR's in East hanover next week at night, probably on tuesday if you are still interested.
    Ciscook
  6. SlickLeg

SlickLeg

Sinatra...

You mentioned a while ago that you go to a place in the city...I believe you said 31 and 7th??? The place where they roll cigars there. Can you post the info when you get a minute. Thanks and take care.
  7. shorty

shorty

Hey Dee - an old trick to restore dried out Cigars is to wrap them in a cabbage leaf and put them in the freezer for an hour and then the fridge til you're ready to smoke them. It doesn't restore them to original quality but the cigar will absord some of the moisture from the cabbage leaf. And NO, it doesn't taste like cabbage.

It's an old trick I learned from a friend when I was poor and stupid and didn't have a humidifier. (I own 3 of them now).
  8. Mr. Sinatra

Mr. Sinatra

I heard from a reliable source that he misses you as well.
  9. greekgirlinnj

greekgirlinnj in loco CD

yes mr. sinatra i was trying to suprise the gumba..wasnt his fault but i miss that prick
  10. Mr. Sinatra

Mr. Sinatra

Maybe the guy had unforeseen circumstances.
  11. greekgirlinnj

greekgirlinnj in loco CD

yea well i brought them back for someone but the guy started acting like a nitwit and we couldnt connect on seeing each other then he was in la so i guess its his loss but im out 70 bucks
  12. shorty

shorty

Frankie's had one too many cocktails with the rat pack I see.....

R&J's are nice. I had 2 boxes of cubans flown in for me from Paris. One was R&J, the other were monte's. I prefer the R&Js. The Dominican R&J's are just about as good.
  13. Casper

Casper

You did it your way.
  14. Mr. Sinatra

Mr. Sinatra

What the hell did I write????? Do you acre?????? I dont even know what the hell I was trying to say. Something about whether or not Shorty likes the R&J's in tubes.
  15. SlickLeg

SlickLeg

Romeo y Julietta (Churchill)

I had one the other day and I wasnt very impressed. Just wasnt thrilled with it...Got it from a Cuban guy, that I know who personally got them from Cuba a couple weeks ago. The same guy gave me a Davidoff, which was a great smoke! Best cigar I have had in a while...
  16. Mr. Sinatra

Mr. Sinatra

Shorty,

Do you acre for the Romeo & Juliets in tubes (Churchill)?
  17. shorty

shorty

I've been smoking cigars before they were the "hip thing" to do and the prices skyrocketed thanks to the Yuppie Scum and they're trend setting ways.

As for the quality of today's DR vs Cubans, IMHO, they're about dead even with Cubans having a slight lead. If you find someone who has is selling Cubans, chances are they're DR's with phoney wrappers. The Cohiba's are notorious for being counterfitted. If you're not an afficianado, the only true way to determine if they're real is by comparison smelling a cuban with a DR. If you don't have a cuban with you at that time, you can't tell. Buyer be ware.

Most of the time, customs will overlook a handful or so. If you bring a box in from overseas, they'll most likely confiscated it. Here's a little tidbit that'll really piss you off....my wife used to work for an international airline and she knew some of the guys in customs. They don't destroy the cigars (like they're suppose to). They smoke em. I got more than my share of Cubans for free that were taken away from dumbass tourists who bought boxes and boxes of them thinking they could smuggle them in.

I have a buddy that has a cigar shop in Brooklyn. He tells me that most shops know how to get cubans and have them under the counter for their special customers. When I want a box of cubans for myself or a gift, I usually go see him. They are not cheap. A full box of 25 GOOD Cubans can run you 400-600 easily. He agrees with me that Cubans are totally overrated and that some DR's are much better.

There is a place down in Orlando in Downtown Disney. Disney imported two Cuban BROTHERS and gave them there own shop on the strip. The SOSA brothers hand wrap their own cigars right there in the shop. They are some of the best cigars that I have ever tried. They only make a limited amount each day and if you don't get their early, you won't get any.

My personal favorites to smoke regularly -
    - Any Arturo Fuentes -(available at any good cigar shop worth their going to) Opus X being my favorite but hard to find.
    - Davidoff 1000's (available at the Davidoff outlet on Madison and 52nd)
  18. Mr. Sinatra

Mr. Sinatra

GG you just killed 2 perfectly good cigars.

They belong in the R.I.P. thread.
  19. ciscook

ciscook

GG:
    Sorry to say they are probably not any good, unless they were kept in a humidor.

Ciscook
  20. greekgirlinnj

greekgirlinnj in loco CD

i have a question

i went to bermuda in sept bought 2 cuban cigars they are sealed are they still good and does anyone want them