CVan it work ? A challenge......

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by Slinky Bender, Dec 14, 2000.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Well, i have to agree, which is why we specifically left of a "reviews" section here.

For now, I'm not going to "ban" reviews threads, but I'll be keeping a very close watch on how they go, and we'll see what happens.

Besides, at this rate we won't have to worry too much about the ladies objecting because they aren't present.

Wait a minute, I just had an idea. Someone has to post somewhere: "WOW! Those reviews on http://www.utopiaguide.com are even more horrendous than the one's on JAG". That will get all the ladies here, and fast........... ;).

<color=gray>gray</color>

Partridge Family...Partridge Family... Partridge Family...

[Edited by slinkybender on 11-08-2001 at 11:49 PM]
  2. Ozzy

Ozzy

thats kinda why i think reviews should be left off the discussion boards......it's only gonna cause trouble.
  3. Ash

Ash

A good subject brought up by Utopiabender.

I hate to be the pessimist, but I don't think the supply side will be able to participate in a forum where they are openly critiqued in a blatant and honest fashion, unlike TBD where the reviews are so sugar coated in order to get in good with the girls. The problem which occurs here is that this is the livelihood of these women. When they are given negative feedback, they are obviously going to feel hurt and compelled to argue with the reviewer. I'm not saying this is only unique to this situation, but is human nature in general. When someone is giving you negative feedback, we are quick to defend ourselves as our natural instincts lead us to do.
  4. hot4chicks

hot4chicks

...not too many brilliant replies from providers, of course, not many hobbyists can replicate Churchill's writing style. Of course, I do know of one.

h4c, who thinks that beautiful providers should go to the Oak Room for drinks
  5. Ozzy

Ozzy

obviously it takes a little give and take....you can't have the type of posting on this board that belongs in a private board...ie jag.

in the same respect you can't have fluffball posting ala TBD.

there is plenty of middle ground between the two for this board to work.......jeezz it's only here a week and it's pretty lively right now, and some big names (providers and clients) haven't even touched down yet .
  6. dicer5

dicer5

i'm hoping that this board does work. i would like a provider's input on some question raised without the nonsense posts that i constantly see on TBD. i don't see why the providers and the customers can't post opinions and criticisms without having to get nasty about it.
  7. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

I had an extended debate with two wizened posters on the many boards of this hobby. They both postulated that this board "will never work", because the format of having "both sides of the ewuation" on the same board is untenable.

While there were many facets to their arguments, the kernal was:

1) On the hobbyist side, they will both be unable to avoid simply "trading fluffballs" with the ladies, as well as feeling the need to "play Sir Gallahad" and "come to the rescue" of some lady who has had an idea criticised. The result will be a "piling on" to the poster, with discussions degenerating into name calling, etc.

2) On the lady's side, a) they will take every comment as a personal criticsim, and will get emotional, answer real questions with nasty, personal comments rather than take up the issue, and dilute the discussion, and b) they won't be able to "keep up with" some of the advanced writing skills/philosphical arguments/sarcastic wit of some of the hobbyist poster.

My conteraguments were not as clear or erudite, but included:
    1) When the ladies ( or anyone ) get "trained" to expect only fluffballs, real questions seem out of place. On a board where reall issues are always discussed the ladies will rise to the occasion and show us what they are really made of.

2) I will not allow any of the guys to bash another poster because of their ideas ( obviously, this goes for the ladies as well ! ). "Piling on" post will be deleted. This will not become a "Flame Board". However, I will not delete real opinions, whether I or the majority agree with them or not.

3) One of the best ways for a lady to get business is to make an intelligent post. The majority of hobbyists who I have seen on these boards spend more time talking to the ladies than anything else, so why wouldn't seeing someone who made some interesting point here be an important factor ? I made the point that I fealt that if someone made one ( that's right, just one ) amzingly intelligent post, they would be getting new business rom it for a year ( they both disagreed.....we'll see ).

SO, the challenge is: can we make this work ? Can the guys refrain from throwing fluffballs and playing Sir Gallahad ? Refrain from attacking those who ask hard but reasonable questions of the ladies ?

Can the ladies take the questions as questions and not personal attacks ? Can they dazzle with brilliance in their replies ?

CAN THIS BOARD WORK ????????

[Edited by slinkybender on 12-14-2000 at 10:10 AM]