Dr. Z's weekend forecast. Green and Black

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by One Eyed Trouser Trout, Jan 15, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. robnotbob

robnotbob

I just HATE the fact that Sapp and keyshawn are in the Super Bowl. Good thing there aren't two weeks between games this year.

GO RAIDERS!!
  2. robnotbob

robnotbob

RD: I bet you were lifting some bulky boxes...

I did that (left arm) Jan 02 (at halftime of the Sunday night Jet/Raider game week 17). I tore it, heard 2 loud pops, and went back to watching the rest of the game (with ice on my arm). went to work the next day, saw the surgeon on Tues, got operated on Friday.

Do your therapy, don't strain too much, no hobbying until the cast comes off :)

I'm about 99% now. It takes awhile, but you'll get through it, promise.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2003
  3. Reel Deal

Reel Deal

I tried to tell y'all that the Bucs team that got spanked in PHL in week 7 was not the same team that played in the NFC Championship game.

I don't have a problem with the average fan on the street not understanding that, but The Pundits? Who the f*** are these guys? They're supposed to know something. I couldn't believe how far some of these guys had their head up the Iggles ass.

Football is a game of intellect and emotion played by violent men. IMO, the better team won Sunday. I think the Philly coaches did a poor job dealing with their players' egos prior to the game. NO team can just show up with their media clippings and win. The Iggles proved that once again...

As my daddy used to say, you get your butt kicked when you begin to believe the other guy can't do it...
  4. RoosterC74

RoosterC74

The Damn Buc's looked might good today. Amazing-what a coaching change can do. They always had a good defense-and now they have the offense machinery to go with it.
  5. pjorourke

pjorourke Thinks he's Caesar's Wife

I know RD is in pain so I'll post this for him:

"Woof, Woof"
  6. One Eyed Trouser Trout

One Eyed Trouser Trout #1 Cowboys Fan

Congrats to Tampa Bay for playing a flawless game......
  7. Reel Deal

Reel Deal

I'm finally able to crawl out from under the pain and Vicoden fog enough to thank y'all for the positive wishes, and say, "GO BUCS!!!"...

P.S....take care of your biceps tendons. You do NOT want to go through what I'm going through...
  8. One Eyed Trouser Trout

I get a tad misty-eyed.......

.......when I recall my times at 'The Vet'. There was this one chick with tits that made the Goodyear Blimb jealous who would lift her shirt and dance everytime the Eagles scored. Eventually, SpectraGuard positioned several loonies in their yellow jackets in her 700-level section to restore calm.

Another time, some goof in the luxury box decided it was in his best interest to pour beers down onto the fans in the 700 level...eventually, a fight broke out in the luxury box.

For 5 great years, Section 629 Row 6, Seats 13 and 14.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/16/sports/football/16STAD.html?todaysheadlines
  9. Cloud Nine

Cloud Nine I had to open my big mouth.......

Re: Bummer

I hope this sort of injury is contagious to football players who are from Tampa.

Seriously, RD hope you recover soon, that sucks.
  10. One Eyed Trouser Trout

Re: Bummer

Damn. Sounds painful Reel.

In your absence, I won't play heavy handed. I'll just wait and see what happens.

My biggest concern is despite who wins between Philly and Tampa, they might leave too much blood and guts on the field to be capable of beating whomever in the Super Bowl. And that whomever is probably going to be the Raiders.
  11. pjorourke

pjorourke Thinks he's Caesar's Wife

Bummer

I got the following ***** from Real Deal this afternoon.

"in a freak accident this morning, i ruptured-tore-my left biceps tendon. i'm goin to the hospital for surgery- in 30 mins- to reattach it. it hurts pretty badly right now.

3 weeks in a cast, 3 weeks in a brace.

i am seriously bummed out. when it rains, it pours.

tell oett the floor is all his, because i won't be able to post for a few days. the game will be over then. maybe the bucs get a few good bounces, and make it to the big dance. who knows?

and if...a huge if...they win, expect a gloat fest. hehehehe.

go bucs!!!!"

OETT, the floor is yours
  12. One Eyed Trouser Trout

Ya don't think the fans booing the Eagles is a motivator for the Eagles....???

I love the Eagle fans.....where else does Santa Claus get booed?

I expect to see the Philadelphia Police show up in riot gear actually....just another day on South Broad Street.
  13. Reel Deal

Reel Deal

Being an old football guy from this area, I have a contact with the Bucs. He said the players absolutely LOVE all the predictions and trash talking about how they have no chance, they are going to get steam-rolled, the Iggles are the team of destiny, the Bucs are the same old Bucs, etc.

Football is largely a mental game. All this talk is doing to the players psyche is raising expectations for the Iggles-ergo, adding extra pressure to an already pressure packed situation-and lowering expectations for the Bucs. The Bucs buzz in the locker-room is "WTF-nobody respects us, so what do we have to lose? We have little pressure to perform, so let's go lights-out".

And here is a ~potential~ problem for the Iggles fans: with these high expectations, what happens if the game doesn't go as ordained? Think about how the fans will react. Half the secret to being a good road team is taking the crowd out of the game. I've been at the Vet (in the Ray Rhodes days) when the crowd turned on the team. It was NOT pretty. What if...

Of course, all this is moot if the game goes as the pundits say it will...
  14. One Eyed Trouser Trout

15. Cloud Nine

Cloud Nine I had to open my big mouth.......

Well, I have been saying since b4 the playoffs that it would be an Oakland/Philly rematch of SB XV. I have a 25% shot of being right if you throw skill out the window.
  16. One Eyed Trouser Trout

Dr. Z's Forecast

Posted: Tuesday January 14, 2003 3:56 PM

By Paul Zimmerman

AFC Championship Game
    Raiders 31, Titans 24

Oakland likes to turn a big game into a war of words, the angle on Sunday's meeting with the Jets having been: Look how wonderful everyone says they are. Who have they beaten? But Tennessee offers the Raiders no hook upon which to hang their trash talk. The Titans are simply a tough, hardworking crew that outlasts the opposition. Maybe Oakland was trying to send some kind of message, but in the first half against the Jets, the Raiders got away from their multiple-passing attack and decided they would establish the ground game. This bit of foolishness landed them in a 10-10 dogfight, but they reverted to form after intermission and aired it out. The Gnat Attack will be swarming against Tennessee, so it'll be up to the Titans to slow it down or try to turn the game into a shootout. They don't have enough weapons to do the latter, and they'll slow down Oakland only with a serious pass rush on Rich Gannon. The Titans' front four is O.K. -- though defensive end Jevon Kearse, back from a broken left foot, is still not a serious factor -- but Tennessee will have to commit to the blitz and hope that its cover people can lock on tight. The biggest problem for the Titans is that they're banged up after that overtime teeth-gnasher against the Steelers. I think they'll stay with the Raiders for a while and then wear down.

NFC Championship Game
    Eagles 17, Bucs 13

The Bucs have shut down the last two mobile quarterbacks they've faced, the Falcons' Michael Vick and the 49ers' Jeff Garcia, which might not look good for Donovan McNabb. But he can operate with equal efficiency from the pocket, and his broken ankle has taught him the value of staying at home. Tampa Bay got to Garcia on Sunday, but it was interesting that the Bucs had to resort to blitz pressure, which they don't usually do. Except for one fumble-producing sack by defensive end Simeon Rice, the front four was very ordinary against San Francisco, and Warren Sapp was practically invisible. If Tampa Bay goes to the blitz against Philadelphia, look for the Eagles to run the ball. Philly will open the game with short, controlled passing, taking an occasional shot downfield in an attempt to surprise the Bucs' defense. I don't think the Eagles will try to run much until late in the game, when some of the life has been drained from Tampa Bay's defensive line.

Bucs quarterback Brad Johnson put the Niners to rest with three straight scoring drives, but he was working against a crippled and confused secondary -- and even then he completed fewer than 50% of his passes. Tampa Bay won't be able to run against Philly. The Bucs' best hope is that Johnson can get to his hot reads quickly against a ferocious blitz package. Third wideout Joe Jurevicius will be key.

Do I see anything dramatic happening to change the recent history of this matchup? Not really, but I think the final score will be closer this time.

Issue date: January 20, 2003