Duct Tape and Plastic Sheeting

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buddyyy, Feb 12, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. LoonyTunes

LoonyTunes

Now showing on TVland at midnite M- Thurs i think
  2. Cookypuss

Cookypuss

Yes, you are probably right

But when she asked her teacher she said" Dakota, just do it "~ like she didnt even know ~ Yes, the hurricanes we get here in PA are the strongest ones by far...Its ridiculous...
  3. Stecchino

Stecchino

Nassau County Police:

always making sure Great Neck doesn't get too hectic.
  4. buddyyy

buddyyy

If you click on quote under the message you can see the code that was used to insert the photo.
  5. antnee

antnee

The school districts didn't come right out and say it was a terrorist related drill. I think the letter to our area called it a disaster preparedness drill covering a variety of topics. But the similarities are there to our air raid drills of the early sixties.
    On a side note I live in a community with a large Jewish population ( six synogages I think) and the police presence has been raised enormouly. Almost the same as right after 9/11. The state police are visible along with Nassau County police. I guess they are taking this seriously.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2003
  6. genius

genius

I am observing an interesting (to me anyway) aspect to the UG's board's software: When I am not logged in I see the picture; when I am logged in I see instead the link to the picture. If I click on the link, I get to see the picture.
  7. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Are you sure it wasn't some other kind of disaster drill? We had to do hurricane drills when I grew up, this involved a similar tucking of the head under hands and the bells and sirens.
  8. Cookypuss

Cookypuss

ROFLMAO!!! That was hysterical..

My daughter (8) just informed me they are still doing this in her school and she asked me last night why do we have to do that? She said the screaming whistling noise hurts her ears and how come the teachers dont have to sit down in indian style with their necks aching holding their heads between their legs?
    I didnt know what to say, it makes no sense to me is all i could say.
  9. genius

genius

Looks like slinky doesnt like you to as the pic got changed to a link. I imagine he doesnt want you to use all the bandwidth required.

With that said, I havent tried it but I would guess cut and paste would work.
  10. Reel Deal

Reel Deal

How do you post pictures like that?
  11. Sidekicks

Sidekicks Moderator

Thats right..just ask MacGuyver... (gawd..that show was my favorite)..
  12. jp1064

jp1064

This is the duck tape I use (swear). get your very own at stupid.com

[​IMG]
  13. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

I think the purpose of duck and cover was so that you wouldn't get killed or hurt by the flying glass and debris and so that hopefully you would survive and so you could really appreciate the slow death of nuclear fallout or the building coming down around you and trapping you.

The only value I ever saw to duck and cover was the opportunity to look up Laurie Epsteins skirt.
  14. pjorourke

pjorourke Thinks he's Caesar's Wife

Duct tape and WD40 -- all you need in a tool box.

If it sticks and you don't want it too use the WD40

If it doesn't stick and you want it to, use the duct tape.

I'm not sure what to do with the plastic sheeting. Maybe you use it to cover up the mess you made.
  15. antnee

antnee

So what you're saying is if something happens we are fucked. And you're right.
  16. jersey

jersey

other uses

the duct tape and plastic sheeting would be VERY useful if you hook up with a squirter and take her back to your place
  17. genius

genius

I think the original idea (not that all the others posted here aren't really good ideas) was if chemical or biological or radioactive material was released in your area you would run around and using the plastic sheeting and duct tape seal off any air infiltration9 from doors, windows, cracks in the foundation which would bring in the bad stuff) into your house.

A major flaw in the plan (besides being really stupid) is that the air from air infiltration is used by your heating system and allows the products of combustion to go up your chimney(dont get smart - your brick chimney). Thus the carbon monoxide would back up into your house and kill you. Of course, if you were stupid enough to have all electric heat in your house, you would not have this problem and would survive. Thus the world would be repopulated with the offspring of stupid people.

Luckily, this dying from CO is relatively painless. However, if you have a CO detector, it would be going off alerting you to the danger. You would then be faced with the choice of removing some of the duct tape and plastic to allow some fresh air in (which if there were really an attack - it would kill you) or allow yourself to die of CO poisoning.

With that, I hope everyone has a nice day.

PS. BTW Daniel_NYC - good treatment of the history of duck tape - you must be a lot of laughs at cocktail parties.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2003
  18. jseah

jseah

by crouching under their desks, the students will form nice neat piles of ashes when they are vaporized by the bomb......easier to sweep up.
  19. Reel Deal

Reel Deal

(Didn't Jeffrey Dahmer use duct tape and plastic sheets?)

I remember "duck and cover" drills in the 5th grade. The principal showed all the classes a movie on the Cuban/Soviet threat, right down to watching real houses get blown away during nuclear (or, as Bubba says, nuculer) testing in Nevada. Even then, I never understood how crouching beneath my school desk was gonna keep me from the harm of a Soviet hydrogen bomb...
  20. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

You guys had the reassuring advice of that cute turtle (duck - *shwook* - and cover!).

We had to grow up with all sorts of photrealistic depictions of people being vaporized.

The naive are truly blessed.