Falling in love

Discussion in 'New York' started by shhhh, Aug 9, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Phantom

Phantom

2. ew

ew Silver

Just a math joke.
  3. Phantom

Phantom

I see even you aren't above kicking someone when they're down.
  4. ew

ew Silver

Well, you see, the problem is you have a single equation and two unknowns...
  5. Phantom

Phantom

No, more like this,

Phantom-$2K+J= :mad:
  6. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

You mean like Phantom - $$ + ??? = :) ?
  7. Phantom

Phantom

Yeah, I often come to boards like Utopia Guide to get a math lesson.
  8. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Not to waste more of Allen's bandwith on the subject, by I really have to express my admiration for ew's taking up pure (math, by nature is abstract) math later in life. Especially at the levels he seems to have done. It's my personal belief that evryone should get a least a little analysis and algebra before they graduate from collge. I think this would serve most people much better than the calculus class that they have to endure.

Galois theory is easily the most beautiful idea I have ever seen.
  9. fumpton

fumpton

Ssshhhh, How does one contact you for an appointment. The email button is disabled in your posts.
  10. littleguy

littleguy Gold

Also, "figures don't lie but liars figure"

Re: Statistics - There are lies and damned lies"

Hahahahahahahaha
  11. littleguy

littleguy Gold

x7
    --

3x7 = 21
    1*7 = 7
    ------------
    21 + 7 = 28
  12. Casper

Casper

Wasn't there an Abbott and Costello skit involving math? Someone help me out here.

"People may lie but numbers never do"

[Edited by Casper on 08-17-2001 at 11:34 PM]
  13. ew

ew Silver

I learned abstract math late in my life, a couple of years ago. Being that the last math class I took prior to this was Trigonometry freshman year in college, this was quite a step.

I did this because the field that I was entering requires a high level of math ability/understanding. Probably normal math (applied) classes would have sufficed, but I was looking for a challenge and I went abstract.

I'm not sure how hard it would have been if I had taken these courses while I was a young man, but I do have to say that I was shocked at how weak my concentration had become. I think that I was happier when I pieced together my first analysis proofs than when I first got laid.

Anyway, the only way that I could survive these classes was to read every "popular" math book that I could find. I am no math expert by any means, but I do understand a bit about much in math. The thing that shocked me the most about math was the incredible creativity of the people and the math they created.

My two best memories from my life as a student:

An English professor who in two semesters went through every piece Shakespeare wrote. He fell a class short of completing all the plays. He had, in fact, two plays left and only one class. He proceeded in the most amazing non-stop, in-depth analysis of both plays (while dabbing at his brow with his hankie furiously). We gave him a standing ovation at the end.

And my Modern Algebra class where the professor spent the entire semester laying the groundwork for Galois. And then explained it in the last class and left me feeling that I understood how all the pieces fit together in the big picture.
  14. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

SB,
    To quote the immortal Johnny Carson: I did not know that.
    take care HP
  15. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

HP,

Did you ever hear what both Ian Schrager and Steve Rubell answered whenever they were asked what the "real magic" was about Studio 54 ? They always said it was the mix - that you could see "tuxedos dancing with blue jeans".
  16. hot4chicks

hot4chicks

never- Umm, neither.....
  17. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

An anonymous 23 year old provider that sounds like a high school girl starts a thread about falling in, what... like , with a customer and six pages later the discussion is about esoteric mathematical theory. You gotta love this board.
    HP

[Edited by Hotpuppy on 08-17-2001 at 11:12 AM]
  18. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Who'd have thought there'd be so many mathmatician johns (facetious emoticon).

beep9 - In a measure theory course I took once, a proof (God knows I couldn't possibly even remember the statement) was proven first in the special case of R3 so that everyone could draw pictures. However, when you examined the proof you realized that there was nothing special about the dimension and that it was really a proof for Rn. The prof's statement was (after writing the Halmos for the R3 proof), "Now, consider the case where 3 is 4".
  19. neversoft

neversoft

H4C: MIT or RPI?
  20. hot4chicks

hot4chicks

OK, since math jokes are funny, heres a Chem joke-

Draw a carbon and then put an Fe at each of the 6 points. What do you get?

A. A Ferrous wheel.....

OK, Math Club cheer-

e to the x, to the x, dx
    secant, tangent, cosine, sine

(Sing it to a football cheer>