Famous Quotes By Famous People

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by seeker6591, Jan 6, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. SlickWilly

SlickWilly

i know
  2. puddingman

puddingman

Dean Wormer
  3. SlickWilly

SlickWilly

"stupid, fat and drunk is no way to go through life, son."

Famous college dean
  4. puddingman

puddingman

"Life is tough. It's tougher when you are stupid"

Famous movie cowboy
  5. SlickWilly

SlickWilly

"i'll be back."

former bodybuilder-turned-actor
  6. afrosty50

afrosty50

Longest Day

I think I heard this quote in "The Longest Day" when the two Germans in the pill box see the Allies landing.
  7. SlickWilly

SlickWilly

"I promise that, uh, I promise, uh, that I'll make a damn good governor, er president."

G.W. Bush
  8. FlipMo

FlipMo

"Wal-mart... do they like make walls there?"
  9. FlipMo

FlipMo

"On my first day of Jr. High I was in Geography class, and the teacher asked us if anybody knew the names of the continents. And I was sooo excited. I was like, Damnit! It's my first day of 7th grade, Im in jr high and i know this answer. So i raised my hand I was the first one and I said A-E-I-O-U!"
  10. FlipMo

FlipMo

"Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but it says 'Chicken by the Sea'."
  11. FlipMo

FlipMo

"When I was in England, I experimented with marijuana a time or two. And I didn't like it. And I didn't inhale."
  12. FlipMo

FlipMo

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman..."
  13. robnotbob

robnotbob

Arthur...next!
  14. seeker6591

seeker6591 banned

"It Ain't Over Till Its Over "

baseball player
  15. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

MOVIE quote:

"You're a hooker? Jesus, I forgot! I just thought I was doing great with you"
  16. Ozzy

Ozzy

Again... there's prob several variations of this quote from several movies.... but I think THAT one come from the movie "Patton". In reality I think the quote was spoken by Gen Rommel who wanted to shift a German panzer division to the French coast on the eve of the invasion and Hitler was sleeping and left word he wasn't to be disturbed.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  17. Ozzy

Ozzy

The full name of the book is "The City of God against the Pagans". In that book you will find the Augustine de Hippo quote that started this conversation. That's all I was trying to say. I wasn't translating De Civitate Dei.

So anyone who credited Augustine with the quote "Cogito, ergo sum" was probably correct.... although there is a slight variation in the english translation. In the book which is written in English.. the quote is "I think, therefore I exist" rather than "I think therefore I am". Since I don't speak ancient latin I couldn't give you an exact answer as to what the exact quote was.
  18. redleg609

redleg609

Watching 1962 movie tonight:

This is history. We are living an historical moment. We are going to lose the war because our glorious Führer has taken a sleeping pill and is not to be awakened. Sometimes I wonder which side God is on.
  19. redleg609

redleg609

Ozzy

OK, there's a book entitled The City of God against the Pagans. I don't think that is what I was wondering about.

You refer to De Civitate Dei and say it is The city of God Against the Pagans. Now, I know I am nit picking here. De Civitate Dei = the city of god, no? So where is the "against the pagans" in the title you mention originally? It is not there, is it?

Maybe it is like refering to the Principia Mathematica as just the "Principia" which is perfectly acceptable in certain circles but lost on most members of a whore board.

No big deal here; just wondering.
  20. biglarry1

biglarry1

also said
    Never give a sucker an even break.

and

You can't cheat an honest man.