Favorite background for a session

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by One Eyed Trouser Trout, Feb 5, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. yoric

yoric

Ozzy,
    I see your point more clearly, and although I disagree - so what, Im not invested in being right.
    You obviously have very strong feelings/ bad experiences surrounding this issue.
    Just want to clarify one thing you said that made me think that you were lumping me in with doctors and researchers that have no first hand experience with psycho-active drugs. Without getting into a "whose got a bigger dick" pissing match, I will offer up my thirty years of experience( first hand) as an intrepid sampler of the full spectrum of prescribed, experimental, illegal and natural substances.
    All things in moderation
    Sex is more fun than drugs
    Is the hobby addictive? Hmmmm
    Take care
  2. One Eyed Trouser Trout

One Eyed Trouser Trout #1 Cowboys Fan

Ozzy...drugs such as Paxil, Prozac, Effexor and others in similar classes are not controlled by DEA.

Drugs in the class of Valium, Librium, Xanax and others are.

It's pretty rare for a drug to move from uncontrolled to controlled in the past 20 years. Some controlled drugs have been moved into higher classifications (Class I being such drugs as marijuana, heroin, ludes where there is no medical use for them) from such classes as II (narcotics, amphetamines, ritalin) or III (valiums, Tylenol with codeine, others).

Stuff like prozac, haldol, thorazine, mellaril, wellbutrin, etc. are not in the same controlled categories even though they do require a prescription.
  3. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

I want to make it clear that I understand and believe the central thesis of your argument, however. Namely that good medicine and good law overlap about as often as good law and good ethics. But we're only human.
  4. justme

What I think you're failing to see, OZ, is that there are a number of people for whom the right cocktail of brain meds is as necessary for prolonging life as insulin is for a diabetic. To dismiss the needs of these people will only make their lot more miserable in life. Drug abuse is the misaplication of drugs (any drug, legal or not) for the end of achieving a turn from reality. Drug use is simply an attempt to return someone to reality. The same drug can be used to both ends, but that doesn't mean that the ends are the same.
  5. Ozzy

Ozzy

how's this.........ANY DRUG THAT AFFECTS YOUR F*CKING BRAIN!

I did say drugs that you can't go a day without......

i didn't say, hiv medication or your insulin. i ment any drug that you need to get thru your day to day activity mentally.

why do you think 100% of these drugs are considered controlled substances and most become banned (ludes ect...)in this country after a few years?

ozzy.......... who has experienced many of these so called non addictive drugs to know a thing or two on this subject. and any doctors or researchers who never raided their medicine cabinets shouldn't talk about second hand experiences with these drugs.

[Edited by Ozzy on 02-10-2001 at 11:02 AM]
  6. yoric

yoric

Do I have this correct?:
    "ALL DRUGS ARE ADDICTIVE">>>
    Addiction is a bad thing ?( this is the part Im not sure about)>>>
    Therefore, all drugs are bad?
    Sorry for reducing this, but as a health profesional I cant agree with
    the conclusion that this discussion is leading me to
    Consider the HIV triple cocktail, insulin,digoxin,etc, drugs necessary on
    a daily basis to maintain health/life.
    BTW, this was the htread about background for a session: another
    favorite- Led Zep, Since Ive Been Loving You/ oh the pain!
    "Better Living Through Chemistry"
  7. Ozzy

Ozzy

very simply, ALL DRUGS ARE ADDICTIVE. whether it be pot or booze or cigarettes or prozac, zoloft, zanex, valium, lithium, percs, ludes, asprin ect.......

if you can make it thru the day without it......YOUR ADDICTED TO IT.
  8. guy catelli

guy catelli

RM, let me make clear that i am in complete and unqualified agreement with what i understand to be your overall point: depression is a serious and debilitating disease for millions of people, and a fatal one for thousands of people annually in the u.s. alone.

thus, i understand your concern that casual prozac-bashing may be harmful to those in need of help.

however, in fairness to our Ozzy, has the other Ozzy made statements that suggest that he is 'psychologically dependent' upon prozac?

btw, even if this were so, 'psychological dependence' on that which is keeping one alive and well seems like a very small price to pay. after all, are not some of us 'psychologically dependent' on the activities we discuss here?
  9. Rufus Moses

Rufus Moses

No. Prozac is not addictive.
  10. guy catelli

guy catelli

could both be right?

is it possible that Rufus is correct about Prozac generally, and that Ozzy is correct about its specific effect on that other Ozzy?
  11. Ozzy

Ozzy

the thing is....this ozzy after a few years on only asprin, got up and walked around for a bit in the mid 90's after he fell off the wagon and before they put him back on asprin in the late 90's.

i've met my namesake several times and noticed the difference.

[Edited by Ozzy on 02-08-2001 at 10:50 PM]
  12. guy catelli

guy catelli

and i thought he had named himself after Ozzy Nelson!
  13. Rufus Moses

Rufus Moses

Ozzy, you must be really emotionally involved with your namesake because its clouding your more typically rational mind.

Here is a story about yet a third Ozzy...

There's this guy named Ozzy. And he's a wildman. What some might call a risk-taking personality. And the thing that gives him the biggest thrill in the world is diving off of high places.

By that I mean Ozzy climbs up in trees, rooftops, what have you...and he throws himself off. Its a great rush, but it takes its toll. He sprains an ankle. He throws his hip out. He impacts his tailbone. He breaks a leg. But he can't give up on the thrill it brings. And he has to climb higher and higher just to get an equal thrill.

Finally Ozzy climbs a height that might kill someone less experienced, but when he hits bottom he is seriously seriously injured. The combined effect of all the damage that he has done to himself lands him in a wheelchair. He simply can't move his legs anymore. And its permanent.

But he starts to put his life together again. He knows he will never walk, but he also stops throwing himself off of buildings. And fortunately, once Ozzy is able to mend, the pain is fairly minor. He simply takes aspirin to control his aches and pains.

One day and old long lost friend see's Ozzy wheeling himself down the sidewalk. Ozzy seems happy enough, but suddenly the old friend points at him and starts ranting...

"Oh my God Ozzy! This is worse than when you were throwing yourself off of rooftops! You're addicted to aspirin! And look what its done to you...you can't walk anymore!"
  14. Ozzy

Ozzy

inagaddadavida is what 24 minutes? the full version that is.
  15. yoric

yoric

Well, my favorite background for a session is "Dark Star" from Live/Dead-for me the perfect 23:15 fuck!
  16. HornDogBuddah

HornDogBuddah

Some people prefer to wring their hands and cry, "Woe is me, alas and alack!" Others take the bit in their teeth and go for it. A person's personality type in this regard plays a very important role in how quickly, or even if, they get better.
  17. Ozzy

Ozzy

de fused JM. ;)
  18. justme

Let's not rehash all of this argument, but there's a tremendous difference between can't cope and won't cope.
  19. Ozzy

Ozzy

# 1 & #3 about says it all....

[Edited by Ozzy on 02-08-2001 at 05:19 PM]
  20. guy catelli

guy catelli

thanks for the update, RM. i recall when it first came out, a magazine article quoted an oldtimer in the medical profession to the effect that the PR surrounding Prozac would follow the typical pattern.
    1. a panacea for all of life's ills; then
    2. an intrumant of satan; then
    3. just another medication very useful for some, and not as useful for others.

apparently, a group -- that has already caused much mischief -- is sounding stage 2 alarums.