? For the Golfer/Hobbyist

Discussion in 'New York' started by Hotpuppy, Apr 7, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. jmcurry

jmcurry The Insider

I play a fair amount of golf (6 handicap in NY) and have had the opportunity, as a total amateur, to attempt to hit major league pitching in non-game situations. While the finesse aspects of golf are often unsettling, you can learn to steady your nerves. Moreover, the more rounds you play, the better you get. Although fades and draws are far more nuanced, a committed golfer can begin to make inroads in adapting those skills. Hitting a major league fastball, slider, curve, or knuckleball, on the other hand, is virtually impossible. I have stood in a batter's box and tried to hit a 90+ mph fastball. I quickly realized that I needed to see the ball first, which is not easy to do. Fastballs are in the catcher's mitt before you begin your swing. We accord baseball players All-Pro status if they can hit 30% of their at bats each season. Although both sports are difficult, I have personally found it much easier to strike a motionless ball than one that is either behind me before I move or that veers away from my bat faster than a quality provider will dump a suspect client.
  2. sharked

sharked

lets not forget chipping and putting. I'd think touch is much more difficult to improve on than brut strengh. There is also the countless twists of the rules of golf. One miss placed drop or accidental touch of the sand with the club can forfeit the whole or add 2 strokes to your score. golf is hard. too bad more chicks don't dig golfers.

i'm an 8 handicapp. I guess its always sexier to steal home than split fairways.
  3. dox

dox

golf vs. baseball

i'm sure hitting a baseball long and true is more difficult than hitting a stationary golf ball. however, you only need to hit the ball within a roughly 90% quadrant 1/3 of the time to be considered a successful hitter. on the other hand, if you mis-hit your golf ball by more than a few degrees you're fucked. this difference in margin of allowable error makes golf much more difficult, IMHO (and i play both... badly)
  4. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

Thanks

i was thinking about the question and realized you said "sports figures" (not athletes) and as soon as i started thinking about non-human THAT horse was, well, about 31 lengths in front of everything else. i watched that Belmont at a bar near Brooklyn College and rather than the usual yelling and screaming it was the quietest experience i can remember - we were all just stunned into silence atthe magnitude of the event. everyone knew he was a great (if not the)after the Derby and the Preakness but what he did to that Belmont field. I'm sitting here trying to think of a 2 minute event - destruction really that can compare. It's kinda hard.
  5. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

Secretariat is the other one I know for sure- Bravo Skelly, this is the one that usually stumps people
  6. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

Secretariat

BTW - 50/50 doubles/steals

Tris Speaker and Craig Biggio
  7. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

Ali is one of the ones I know for sure.
  8. Ozzy

Ozzy

hank aaron (when he brke babes record)

jackie robonson?
  9. robnotbob

robnotbob

Ali/Clay has to be there.

Jack Nicklaus??
    Tiger?
  10. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

More Trivia...

...I overheard this question in a bar the other night: name all the sports figures that have been on the cover of Time, Newsweek and Sports Illlustrated- in the same week. Im only positive about two, so Im counting on the knowlege and veracity of those interested.
  11. grenv

grenv

MVP - Nellie Fox
    CY - Vernon Law
  12. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

Oh, I forgot - Is your question what were they called in the city they played in before Boston or what were they called in Boston before the Red Sox.

If the former, offhand I don't know, but I do know that when Ban Johnson formed the AL in 1901, the Western Association Buffalo franchise shifted to Boston and were known, most popularly, as the Pilgrims. I believe they were also known as the Puritans and either Beantowners or Beaneaters I don't remember which. But that's the general answer.

I love obscure baseball shit.

Name the only player to win the MVP award with three letters in his last name. Same for Cy Young (who we all know was the Pilgrim's star pitcher) award and Rookie of the Year Award. Three awards - three players.

I'll eliminate 2 easy answers - Mel Ott and Ron Cey are not the answers.
  13. grenv

grenv

I apologize, I only read the first question. But at least i answered correctly. You may take credit for asking first if you must.

Did you get the other question?
  14. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

Grenv

Sure, chime in late.

50 doubles/50 steals was the second question I asked in my earlier post if you would check.

I guess I shouldn't answer it since having intially asked the question I know the answer. Cause to a trivia fan the real answer would be the obvious one because of the other record he holds.
  15. grenv

grenv

Wrong again on both counts (though Cobb was the obvious guess I suppose).

I'll give you guys a day or so to figure it out.

How about this:

What city did the Red Sox begin and what was their nickname?
  16. Carl M

Carl M Hanging by a thread

Ty Cobb and Barry Bonds
  17. grenv

grenv

Wrong:

clue No.1

1912 and 1998
  18. Carl M

I'll Guess

Ricky Henderson and Tim Raines
  19. grenv

grenv

Albert Belle in 1995 got 50 HRs and 50 Doubles.

Next: Which 2 players have acheived 50 steals and 50 doubles?
  20. Carl M

How about Griffey or A Rod for 50/50