Getting Tested???

Discussion in 'New York' started by SlickLeg, Jan 28, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Monk

Monk

If you don't feel comfortable dealing with your doctor, the City's STD clinics are definately the way to go. Safe. Relatively anonymous. They respect your privacy completely. And they deal with thousands of patients with your problem, so there are no surprises.

The downsides: very slow and bureucratic, and limited resources. If your problem falls anywhere outside of their limited scope, they'll end up sending you to a urologist.
  2. SlickLeg

SlickLeg

Just went to the Dr.

I had to sign an HIV testing form. I think this only tests for HIV. Thanks for the responses. You guys are always a great help!
    Thanks!
  3. cst

cst

You're right. It was something I have been doing since long before I hobbied. I've always trusted the methods and results, but for here, you're all correct.
  4. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

we're not always the most helpful bunch.
  5. Casper

Casper

Some people are never satisfied. I'll look around up here and let you know if I spot him.
  6. frank735

frank735

I don't think he appreciated all the help we were offering. Or maybe its too late for him.
  7. jack sprat

jack sprat

if you hobby, you should not be donating blood. no testing system is 100% perfect and, as caitlin notes, the tests may not be able to tell if a person has been very recently infected.
  8. NO! NO! NO! You should never donate blood as a way of screening for HIV or hepatitis. It is extremely irresponsible for somebody who engages in risky behaviour to do this. If you have been recently infected, it may not show up in their screening, and some poor sap could be infected through the blood products.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2003
  9. cst

cst

If you're looking to get checked for HIV, donate blood. Your blood is screened before it gets used. Been doing it this way for years, donating blood twice a year, and it can be kept anonymous.
  10. The city health department has clinics all over the city. Check their website for locations and hours. They do a full screening, and it's free. You can test for HIV anonymously, if you prefer. They've seen it all, they're not shocked, and they're not judgemental. The downside is, you have to show up early, and wait for your turn. Some clinics fill up faster than others. You also have to wait 10 days for your results.

Their website has a lot of other good health infomation, besides just STD info.
  11. OrangeAid

OrangeAid

Two words....

Planned Parenthood. Cheap, anonymous, and (in many cases, although YMMV) relatively sympathetic. They even have a code name system if they have to call you with some troublesome results. Can't imagine a better alternative.
  12. biggod

biggod The Rifleman

You could go to the city health dept.
  13. BigMadM

BigMadM Linoleum

always be upfront with your private physician.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  14. traderjack09

traderjack09

Actually the best way to do it is to buy a life insurance policy. They will test you for EVERYTHING. If you are positive, the underwriter will let you know, however you specify on your application. There is even a spot for you to declare the only people who can get the info. Just write your name on it. This way your wife will never know..
  15. Casper

Casper

Where's maleasian when you need him. He's got recent experience with this.
  16. BigBucksNYC

BigBucksNYC

Or you could just be honest and say that you've been with some women and just think it is time that you now get tested. Most doctors would be fine with that.
  17. shorty

shorty

Tell your doctor you suspect your girlfriend has been cheating on you and you want to be tested for STD's. He'll know what to order for you. This will eliminate any kind of opinions he may have and eliminate any potential lectures from him about the hazards of hobbying.

If you're married and (God forbid) anything comes back positive, he may be obligated to tell your spouse for her own safety.

Tread lightly bro and good luck.
  18. SlickLeg

SlickLeg

When going to get tested for STD's, what kind of test do you ask your Dr. for. An evaluation of all STD's or just HIV??? Never done this before and would like some fedback. Funstuff's post on Cheap Thrills section got me buggin...Thanks for the assistance
    I hear there are some clinics that will do it for free and also, teh take home tests. Let me know what is best.