Greencard Marriages

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by fishfry, Aug 3, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. HAPPY GUY

HAPPY GUY

This is tricky. I was once asked to do this by a foreign woman that I was dating. We had been going out for about 5 months anyway, and so she said that it would simply be like living together anyway.

I thought about for a little while, and said that I hadn't made up my mind although I was still thinking about it.

The result? She left the country abruptly, and I haven't seen or heard from her since. So I think I lucked out on that one.

That said, I would consider doing it if the woman was attractive and there was a guarantee of sex in the equation.
  2. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

I had 2 people ask me to get married for the purpose of a Green Card. The first one was a skinny chick who was always rude around me, she offered me $2500 up front, then $2500 later, but I turned her down. The other time really sucked. I knew a family from Ecuador and I liked 5 out of the 6 sisters, and I knew the 3 brothers as well. For awhile, they were like family to me. I had even been to the oldest brother's wedding. Shortly after my father had died in '93, 2 of the brothers told me that they had a cousin who needed to get married to stay in the US. I was interested because I thought I'd be getting regular sex for free with someone other than myself! It turned out that they wanted me to marry, on paper only, the "wife" of the one whose wedding I attended. I backed out, telling them that I couldn't do that so soon after my Father had died because of what it could do to my Mother. They had offered $5000.
  3. fishfry

fishfry

Yeah, we don't know anyone so desperate for companionship they'd risk getting arrested.
  4. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Re: Re:

At least we're finally back on topic.............
  5. Phantom

Phantom

Re:

[Edited by Phantom on 08-06-2001 at 05:22 PM]
  6. thelastone

thelastone

Re:

...especially if your just the "white barbarian" husband. I would highly suggest you consult an attorney with a hypothetical situation.

last
  7. thelastone

thelastone

"arranged" marriage for contract.

I have actually been offered quite a few times by friends and friends of friends to marry someone for money. The largest amount I've been offered was $16K and as low as 3K.

There are some set backs that you must consider before doing anything like this. If the guy your going through does this right, you can pull it off, but you must be warned that the chances are not all that good. Also what most fail to realize is the amount of work needed to successfully pull it off.

A few important steps...
    You have to visit the country and her at least a few times. Also best if she can come visit you at least once. You have to send mail back and forth for several months. Once again if the broker is good, he'll actually have pre-written mails you can just copy and send along every week or so. This is all done to ensure a "reasonable assumption of a relationship". When she is brought over, you have to have a wedding of some sort. This can't be buried from your friends and family. They can know that its an arranged marriage if you trust them, becuase INS will ask if they can interview them, even though they rarely do.
    After getting married, you must live in the same house and same room for a period of usually 2-3 years. This is because INS can do "surprise" visits to see what home life is like during the first couple years. If anything at all smells fishy to them, they will increase the number of visits. If everything seems kosher then you'll probably only see the INS guy 3 or 4 times. These visits are usually interviews with both of you and they can ask some pretty personal questions.

However, and you all should note this, sex is NOT a mandatory part of the contract. The broker will usually recommend, at the barest minimum, that the two of you inspect each other's bodies (naked) very carefully, for scars and birthmarks and such. But sex will be completely up to the woman (as usual).

I'm not sure what the consequences are for getting caught, but i'm sure its not pleasant. If any of you are considering this, just be careful of what is required of you to do. And also realize that once the women get to this country, they talk to their friends and family. Some do realize that getting a divorce can pay off nicely for them.

just my 2 pesos worth.

last
  8. skagen

skagen

I'd consider it. Clearly need more info though. Let me know: osamede@hushmail.com
  9. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

There are a lot of problems with this set-up. I won't bore you with all the technicalities, except I will mention a few things:

1) It will cost you more in legal fees to properly shield yourself from the downsides of the arrangement than you collect, and

2) There are some who who have been burned by those claiming that all they want is citizenship, and then go after all you've got

3) There's a lot more work than just the marriage, especially if the INS suspects anything ( which they usually do in these cases, because "they all look the same ).

[Edited by slinkybender on 08-03-2001 at 12:59 PM]
  10. fishfry

fishfry

A buddy of mine met a girl who's here on a tourist visa. She wants to stay here and get married. She's willing to pay up to $10,000.

Another friend was living with a gal he met, and she had the same deal. Wanted to pay him $5000 to get married. He didn't want to so she left him, went to Las Vegas, and found herself a greencard hubby.

Apparently there is a lot of this going around, especially for some reason in New York. There are a lot of young women here who will pay you to marry them. It's an interesting twist on our game here if you think about it.

By the way the girl with the $10k, I've met her and she's very nice. She's Korean. She wants to get married but she also ideally wants someone who likes her and vice versa. If anyone's interested let me know.

I had this idea to start up greencard-marriage.com, but a site like that would probably attract too much attention from the INS.

fish