Guv taxes massages

Discussion in 'Northern New Jersey' started by barthomer2005, Jul 11, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. mysteri

mysteri

What Purist?

Do you know who this legislator is? He probably went to an MP and couldn't get anything and is now trying to get back at them!!
  2. plat122

plat122

I don't think this will work at all. They tried this in Atlanta and it had exactly the opposite effect of what they wanted. The city police would oversee the licensing and supervision and record keeping of massage workers. Also, they set very restrictive hours of operations. This ran some of the spas out of the city but many stayed and found ways around the law. A few are open 24 hours. The number of AMP which popped up in Clayton and some of the other counties around Atlanta more than tripled. The competition is so strong with AMPs that some run ads in the paper for a $25 house fee. Every AMP is full service and the ones in Atlanta are prohibitively expensive - they have a lock on the market. In the mean time the law has been horrible for legitimate massage workers. If you are a masseur for the Atlanta Track Club you have to submit to police checks and oversight. If you provide massage services for a nursing home or hospital you fall under the law. Some found it difficult to work or make money be cause of increased fees.

It did nothing to end this practice in Atlanta and it will not end in NJ. It will find a way around the law or morph into something else or push it deep underground. Human trafficking is the lie of the day for radical feminist and Jesus freaks to end prostitution but it will not work. The guy in Edison should stop worrying about what consenting adults do and worry about people who pay more in property taxes then they do on their mortgages.
  3. barthomer2005

barthomer2005

Maybe all the Jersey places should open up in multiple states, then fight the coming NJ law as violation of Interstate Commerce Clause. States can't regulate interstate commerce.

Flabber - thanks for the concern; I wasn't aware that I had possibly violated the rules.

I think NJ learned from some of the other states that the only way to rid the area of MPs is to tax them & regulate them with incremental changes to the law, then close them for those violations. Sucks.
  4. clicker2659

clicker2659

tax??? haha

all the girls who work in massage parlors work for tips.. u think they file tax returns?? well if u believce they do i got a bridge to sell ya in brooklyn...
    one girl just laughed when i said im givin u less than u want coz u dont pay taxes...she said i havent paid one cent in taxes in my life.....
    goes to private college in NY lives in a 2 bedroom apt in NY and takes approx 4 vacation trips a year..works in jersey in hillside.. pretty good gig if u can get it...

btw
    i hear a big crackdown coming to all places in NJ by a legislator in edison...he is writing a bill or its in session now to regulate all massage parlors...fingerprint employees, background checks, make sure they here legally, etc....
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  5. flabbergasted

flabbergasted

Barth, just didn't want you to get in trouble duplicating postings under different threads.

Fixit, glad I wasn't one of the ones that voted for him but I'm still getting hit with the tax increases.
  6. fixitman

fixitman

Its Like an Al Capone tax. This is how they will get all the massage owners in the next couple of years. I bet none of them even file a tax return. So if they own a parlor and do not pay a sales/ use tax they will be able to close them for non payment. Thanks for voting in this gov. I can bet i will not see a property tax relief from all this bs either
  7. barthomer2005

barthomer2005

Effective date

Thanks for the add'l info...

to answer the question as to how many different threads I posted this in:

I also posted this info under the Southern NJ/Phila thread since I thought there might be one or two people that post & read in that thread going to NJ once in a while that might be affected by the news.

If I offended anyone by actually trying to pass on some useful information, but duplicating it in the process, I'm very sorry.
  8. snooozi3

snooozi3

barth2005

Quote:Effective date is 7/15.
    That is for those merchants and businesses who already collect tax. Oct. 15th for the newly included ones.
  9. flabbergasted

flabbergasted

They'll have to hire a lot of agents to cover all the spas in NJ. Let's be realistic here! BTW, how many threads do you have to post under with the same question?
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  10. barthomer2005

barthomer2005

tax effective date

Effective date is 7/15.

I was just kidding about getting a friggin reciept... some people are just too serious. Saving a receipt from a MP is about as stupid as charging it on a credit card.

By the way, if you told them you never got a massage so how could they have charged tax, what do you say when they ask you why you were there for a half hour or an hour? Gee mr revenue agent, I just wanted to finish the People Mag article I started.

By the way, the tax applies to massage, tattoo parlors and tanning salons.
  11. flabbergasted

flabbergasted

How would they know I had a massage or not unless they watched me? I can always say that I was waiting for a massuse and they were busy and I left.
  12. Jordan

Jordan banned

Where I cut my hair, I pay tax. So guess nail, massages come under same tax structure
  13. oldmann

oldmann

Jordan Possible ripoff

I was under the assumption that the tax on newly included businesses, limo services, security, MPs, etc. would not go into effect until around October 15th. This allows them time to get the mechanisim in place. If this assumption is correct, they are ripping you off!
  14. MetroJay1

MetroJay1

Do they report the tips also? LOL
  15. Jordan

Jordan banned

I went to a legit place and they charged me tax. Huh what I said ?? Yes we charge tax, they gave me a receipt. (stupid type receipt youg from any stationary store) Seriously doubt they pay/report the tax.
  16. badguyy

badguyy

smoking

Save receipts from an MP??? What receipts?? What have you been smoking?????????
  17. barthomer2005

barthomer2005

The new tax bill signed by the Guv has a provision to make massage parlors sales taxable.

So now they can shut them down for not paying sales tax, identify them when they file a return, and stop you on your way out to see if you paid your sales tax.

Save those receipts! You can deduct sales tax on your personal tax return if it exceeds your income tax itemized deductions. If you monger enough, you might get the deduction.