Happy Birthday to Me!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by K.S., Dec 6, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. localguy

localguy

Happy Birthday.

Did anyone notice the tiara?

Did Jack Bailey show up?

Pat
    I'm such a trivia hound.
  2. localguy

localguy

meeting

I don't live in Philadelphia and it wouldn't take a bribe,
    just a ride from Amtrak.
  3. localguy

localguy

Happy birthday, and before you join the navy
    did you see the navy ship life simulation?
  4. paladin

paladin

I do live in Philly - and it wouldn't take a bribe either :)
  5. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

No longer being a Catholic or anything that is remotely intelligible to most humanoids, I use the image of Domino's asshole and Hitler's mustache and contemplate the distance to the Andromeda Galaxy as my Centering Prayer. All these things are G-d in my humble opinion.
  6. RoosterC74

RoosterC74

Response to Bill F.

So-Billy-you have been to Philly? Wink! Wink!
  7. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

I've been to Philly before.
  8. jras

jras

Looking for God?

Drop some peyote, puke your guts out, commune with the Oversoul ...
  9. Aristotle

Aristotle Just another girl on the IRT

justlooking--

It's probably something vomitous.

(Not unlike, "break a leg, fella.")
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2001
  10. justlooking

justlooking

Pop Quiz

What's Sheridan Whiteside's opening line in "The Man Who Came To Dinner"?

(The play: it's left out of the movie.)
  11. K.S.

K.S.

System Lord?!?! LOL!

You're adorable.

I don't get your weird little jokes, you know. I just assume that you mean well by them.

Today is a strange day for me. I wish you lived in Philly. I'd bribe you into meeting me.
  12. Aristotle

Aristotle Just another girl on the IRT

K.S. --

By the time you get out of the Navy, the Centering Prayer will be a *much* simpler affair.

(Of course, you'll need someone to tag you with a laser to ensure the delivery mechanism works as it should.)
  13. paladin

paladin

K.S.

I'm familiar with Centering Prayer. Indeed, it is a pretty good form of meditation; a way to get in touch with what's going on inside yourself and to feel the presence of God. When you achieve the "no mind" state you will feel an especially strong connection. Of course, as with most things of value, that will only come over time and with lots of practice.

I understand that soon you'll be going into the service. I spent 6 years in the Navy. Try to find some time each day for meditation and I think it will help you. Unfortunately, the Navy has its own schedule and may make it hard for you to find any quiet time for yourself.

My teacher says that the key to health and longevity lies in having a peaceful happy mind.

Enjoy your holidays.
    :)
  14. K.S.

K.S.

PJ: I have no idea what you mean by Czech. What? I'll email you.

Palidin: I have just started to practice Centering Prayer, which is a form of meditation - one tries to empty the mind of thought (using a mantra word like "love" or "Jesus" or something suitable) in order to go into the center of themself where God is. Since I've just started, I haven't exactly "gotten there" yet!

Reiki is probably a wonderful thing, but these nuns don't seem to practice any such thing. Their ministry is mainly hospitality (retreats) and some other things in the community.
  15. paladin

paladin

The Judge makes a good suggestion re: reiki. However, while often practiced by nuns, it is not at all an exclusive "Catholic" thing - in fact it originated with a Buddhist Monk (Mikao Usui, 17??-1826) in Japan. It has recently gained popularity in the US as a form of therpeutic hands. I have practiced Reiki myself for about 8 years. It is a wonderful way for helping others.

I would like to add that you (K.S.) might also find solace in learning to do regular meditation. Through meditation, you may essentially experience mini-retreats within your own mind.

As a Qi Healer, I have personally found Chinese QiGong Meditation to be a powerful way of leveling my energies, clearing my mind and regulating my health. If you'd like to learn more about such things, please email me and I'll be happy to guide you to appropriate resources for Reiki, Yoga, QiGong or other similar modalities.

I wish you peace and happiness :)
  16. P.J ORourke

P.J ORourke

K.S., sounds like you had a more peaceful weekend

than I did. Congradulations!

p.s. Did anyone there know anything about Czechoslovakian? E-mail me.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2001
  17. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

K.S.

Try learning the reikki massage* techniques taught by Roman Catholic nuns and practiced by them on the dying in hospices to relieve their suffering. May be taught by protestants as well. I'm not sure. Such techniques are also practiced on those suffering from non-terminal illnesses. If you have not heard of it, it may be of interest to you.

*Reikki massage for the errant jibesters (of which I am usually one) is completely non-sexual in nature. Produces an unusal feeling of closeness between the participants which could never have anything to do with a commercial sex transaction. My wife is a certified reikki practictioner and often volunteers in hospices - which is why I know about such things.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2001
  18. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Ram - It was more of a general comment. If you look at the post again, you'll see that only the first line was directly addressing you (the next JC, and the last, as stated, general). Sorry if my formatting style is cryptic.
  19. K.S.

K.S.

I'm back from my retreat!

It was awesome. There were a couple of sweet dogs who would come in and pester us during Mass (sniffing crotches, licking praying hands, waiting to have their ears scratched) a cute pony I wasn't allowed to feed, and a cat who would come and visit me in my room at night.

Anyway, I got what I was looking for - plenty of peace and quiet. It was like a very affordable bed and breakfast that also served lunch, tea, and supper. I would have done more walks in the woods, but it's dear-hunting season and I forgot to bring anything Flare Orange to wear. It was all about Early To Bed, Early To Rise, with the Angelus ringing at 6am. I would sleep through to the Eucharist at 7:30, then skip Terce (9:30) and noon prayers. I would attend Vespers at 5:00pm (makes sense in the Winter, but what about July, when it's still sunny out?) and be lulled to sleep by the sound of nuns singing Compline at 8:30.

Got to read a bunch - found CS Lewis's *Screwtape Letters* in one of the many bookshelf nooks - and prayed a fair amount, too. The food was yummy and the sisters were wonderful. I'll be going back in January - just before I go into the Navy. A bit more peace and quiet before the hollering starts.

All in all, it was a FANTASTIC weekend!

Thanks for the birthday well wishes!

Good to see you here, PJ! :)
  20. ramstein

ramstein

I dunno, you should ask her directly.