HIV morning after pill now available

Discussion in 'New York' started by Bill Furniture, May 29, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. mercydancer

mercydancer

Two times this bit of news was broadcasted and both times I listened carefully. The second time they omitted one of the side effects-hallucinations.Why?
    Is there something we are not being told?(wouldn't be the first time)
    On the other hand, this should never,iI repeat,NEVER be used as a preventive method. The best preventive method is to be responsible for yourself.I really don't put much faith in any of these so called wonderful pills.
  2. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

What I'm trying to say is it's probably not a solution for "if the rubber breaks". Try to see if the tell you what the complications of the therapy are, and see if it's something that you want to subject yourself to "just in case". I submit that most won't want to live with the side effects. From my limited knowledge of the therapy, it's not something you want to go through unless you have a reasonable expectation that you actually were exposed ( sort of the same as rabies ). I don't think that too many guys put themselves in those situations ( god, I hope they don't, anyway ) ( i.e. go through with sex, even when they think that it is highly likely that the person whom they are having it with are HIV positive ). The therapy was designed for health care professionals who find themselves in situations where the "causing event" has an extremely high likelihood of transmission ( i.e. needle sticks, blood in the eyes, etc. ).
  3. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

I agree Slinky

I was thinking that this would be good if the rubber breaks. It probably isn't meant to be used all the time.
  4. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

there is a good reason why it was only available to health care professionals: who else knows that they were exposed to HIV ? This is not a course of thereapy for someone who was careless and did something that they think perhaps might have subjected them to HIV exposure ( like a "morning after" pill ). This is a therapy which can have some rather serious side eefects, and shouldn't be overused.

The consequences of people thinking that they can go do what they want, and simply use this to "get them off the hook" could be a disaster.
  5. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

I was watching the CBS Channel 2 news at noon today. They had a report that a hospital was offering a morning after pill for people who may have been exposed to HIV. It was previously mainly used by Doctors who may have been exposed. It is effective if taken within 72 hours of being exposed. There will be a report on the CBS Channel 2 news at 5PM, and they probably will repeat it on the 11PM news as well.