Hobby Technologies

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by drew_park, Feb 2, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. buddyyy

buddyyy

Re: Just To Make Sure

New Peach-Colored $20 Bills to Make Debut Oct. 9

WASHINGTON -- The new peach-hued U.S. $20 bill will be introduced at U.S. banks and businesses Oct. 9, officials plan to announce today, Tuesday's Wall Street Journal reported.
    The Federal Reserve (news - web sites) and Treasury will flood the U.S. and overseas outlets with up to 900 million of the new notes next month, issuing only the new $20 through the end of October and withholding previously circulated $20s until November.

The idea is to get consumers, businesses and money handlers accustomed to the pretty new note. Officials say adaptation of machinery, training of retail employees and other preparations have been under way for months, though, and there shouldn't be any notable problems.

The bill's front features the familiar Andrew Jackson portrait, with a new peach background and without its old oval border. The bill also sports a new blue eagle and a green tint near the right and left edges. The back of the bill features a similar multihued scheme.
  2. Thorn

Thorn

Oh great. Give people ideas, why dontcha....
  3. pjorourke

pjorourke Thinks he's Caesar's Wife

So big head versus little head is a larger hobby problem than we previously imagined?
  4. Wayne Zworld

Wayne Zworld

RE: Old bills becoming worthless (in some countries it’s already true)

I just went through that problem last fall on an extended vacation to Europe and the Bali. I brought about 10K in Cash for incidentals. The only problem was all the money was Small Head not Large Head. All the banks I went to Europe would not take the money unless it was Large Head. Through a friend that was meeting me for the journey; I got more Large Head money 1996 series directly from the Bank. Only a few banks in Europe would take 1996 series 100’s due to high counterfeit rate on that date. After Europe when we got to Bali, NO BANKS, or Money Changers would take 1996 series 100’s for the same reason. So I had to go to plan B for my cash needs Western Union, and that realy sucked!!
  5. drew_park

drew_park

Boy, oh boy, has this thread inspired some strange twists and turns!
  6. vegasjim

vegasjim

No but now you caught my interest. It is a movie I assume. I will have to check it out now.
  7. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Someone's been watching The 6th Day again.
  8. Wwanderer

Wwanderer Kids, don't try this at home

History will repeat itself again

There will no doubt be cynical party poopers who will insist that you cannot have a genuine and deeply meaningful emotional relationship with a small box full of electronic components and the all important full body VR-suit that sells at Walmart for under $200, or at least that it is psychologically dangerous to do so (especially in areas subject to frequent power failures). They will probably develop obscure theoretical models on which they can concentrate in order to enjoy their own Dreamboy Playcenter 2s (TM).

-Ww
  9. vegasjim

vegasjim

Will be hottest adult toy ever. So maybe I do have a shot at Pam one day. LOL.
  10. Wwanderer

Re: Re: Tech

The Dreamboy Playcenter 2 (TM) will give a whole new meaning to the terms hardware and software.

-Ww
  11. pjorourke

pjorourke Thinks he's Caesar's Wife

Re: Re: Tech

I can't wait to see the lines at Blockbuster.
  12. Wwanderer

Re: Tech

Yes, surely. In a sense, provider web sites are already a very small step in that direction. They are not "virtual reality" in the usual sense but do provide you with all sorts of information, including sexy visual images at least in most cases and sometimes sound and video, that one could only get by meeting the lady in person before their advent.

A fortune waiting to be made...

-Ww
  13. jack sprat

jack sprat

Re: Tech

absolutely! you and your partner will put on special glasses and feel like you're doing it with the person that you've always dreamed of making it with.

i'm sure someone's working on some sort of virtual reality approach to sex. it'll be the next really big thing after nitendo.
  14. Waist Product

Waist Product

but we will not beable to exploit the blind hookers as good anymore if they can tell what bills we are giving them!!!
  15. Wwanderer

Multi-colored, multi-sized paper currency

I have heard the arguments against it (brand recognition and change-over costs), but I still hope buddyyy is right and we are going to such a system. Spending a bit of time abroad is enough to convince most people that it is infinitely more practical, and it is a really a major quality of life effect for blind people, in terms of providing them with more self-sufficiency, independence and so forth.

-Ww
  16. buddyyy

buddyyy

I may have misspoke with regard to the bills becoming worthless. It is my understanding that they will no longer be legal to use in commerce beyond a certain date. It may well be that at any point in the future with enough "paperwork" you will be able to convert old money to new. The point is after a certain date you won't be able to use the money under your mattress without the government becoming aware of it.

There have been changes to the currency over the last few years intended to make it more difficult to counterfeit. And there was a strong reluctance to change the size and color because of the strong brand recognition.

I don't know if the changes that were implemented were intended to be a long-term solution at this time, but it has been recognized that those changes are not sufficient, and the development of the new multi-colored replacements is underway.

I don't remember whether the information that I had seen indicated that different bills will be different sizes but I believe it did.

There are a number of issues and complications, such as the impact on vending machines, associated with the change but I guess it has been concluded that it is necessary.
  17. vegasjim

vegasjim

Tech

Just curious. Does anyone think real virtual reality will play a role in the hobby when perfected?? May get a chance to fuck my fuck fantasy Pam Anderson. LOL. Closest I ever got to her was sitting across from her in first class on a flight from Vegas to New York.
  18. vegasjim

vegasjim

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just To Make Sure

I realize that but it holds some sentimental value as it was my Dad’s who spent 4 years in the pacific in wwII. I just think it is unusual as except for the amount of the bill the rest looks very similar to a regular bill except also on back of bill in big red letters across everything is the word victory..
  19. jseah

jseah

Re: Better cash is a better option than no cash!

The argument they made for not going with multi-colored bills was that surveys they conducted showed that "greenbacks" had such "brand recognition" that colorizing the bills like many other countries do would "cheapen" the look. The same argument was also made as to the size......not to mention all the expensive changes that would be required to accomodate new sizes of bills (modifying vending machines, cash registers, etc.).
  20. jseah

jseah

The part I liked was how they pointed out that the mill looks like any nondescript industrial building in mid-America........except for the guard towers manned by guys with assault rifles.