Hung Out To Dry

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by Bill Furniture, Nov 20, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Thorn

Thorn

Its off Broadway, and yes. Its actually gotten good reviews.

Its sort of the male answer to "The Vagina Monologs".
  2. Casper

Casper

Anyone hear about some Broadway show involving Penis Oragamy ?

What will they think of next ?
  3. Rufus Moses

Rufus Moses

On the face of it this sounds like something terribly unfair but there are a few things worth saying here.

First, libraries in general, and certainly the American Library Assoc., are aggressively strong supporters of free speech. It is in the genetic code of the profession to preserve media against all threats (including censorship) and to make media as available as possible to the public. There may be a few bad apples out there, but in general the first amendment has no greater friends than those found in the library.

Second, art exhibits generally have a curator, and the practice of creating an exhibit is considered by most an expression in and of itself. So when a gallery, museum, or in this case library, mounts an art exhibit it isn't intended to be all things to all people. The show is an expression of just those specific artists and the curator...AND it is specifically NOT an expression of the library.

Third, random people can't just walk in and become artists or curators. There is a complex (and some would say arcane or perhaps even unfair) system of peer review involved in the way experts emerge from the field. So it is more than likely that a random library employee is not in any meaningful way a peer with the artists and/or curators involved with the show.

So to compare and contrast this art exhibit with the library flying a flag is faulty and misleading. When the library sponsors an art exhibit it is not making a statement...it is merely allowing others to make statements. It is the difference between the library providing shelf space for books written by others, and a library employee writing a book and using the library as a means to promote it.

Note, however, that I am not saying the library should not fly the flag. I think they should. And if the chief librarian is worried about that offending people, I think she is simply wrong and should take a look at who "owns" the library...the people...all of whom the flag symbolizes.

I just think bringing the art show into it clouds the issue and is an entirely different kind of consideration.
  4. Thorn

Thorn

Yeah, but Annie is a very funny Lady, otherwise.

I saw her "Godesses" off-off Broadway bit. Good memory, too.

She actually remembered what after hour clubs we use to bump into each other in Manhattan, back in the "good ol-bad ol days" :)
  5. K.S.

K.S.

LOL! Now THAT would be some pretty damn funny performance art!

Annie Sprinkle once sucked off a big dildo for about an hour while a tape played of men saying "Suck it harder, bitch" and such things. She said it was emotionally very trying.

Well, yeah.

Duh.
  6. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

Hey Butthead! Look! A penisaurus!
  7. hehe. He said "penises". Cool.
  8. Casper

Casper

BTW interesting that there are 21 on display. I read once that if you do something for 21 consecutive days it becomes a habit.

Draw your own conclusions.

Peace Out
    C
  9. Casper

Casper

Hey Bill I heard about that Librarian from TV and it's totally rediculous that they allow penis displays but not the "FLAG" in the Library ..... Interesting definition of art, a display of penises or is it peni ?

Some people need to get a friggin clue about their right to object about flying the American Flag, especially in a Government facility.

Peace Out
    C
  10. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

There's trouble, right here in Boulder, Colo., and -- with a nod to Meredith Wilson's Broadway show "The Music Man" -- it starts with T and that rhymes with P but it doesn't stand for "pool."
    It stands for penises -- 21 ceramic ones to be exact, hanging on a clothesline in the public library.
    Librarian Marcelee Gralapp calls it "art." The display, called "Hung Out to Dry," is part of a larger exhibit called "Art Over Domestic Violence." A sign outside the gallery reads: "This exhibit contains mature material that may be objectionable to some."
    The display came to public attention after Gralapp refused a library employee's request to hang a 10-by-13 American flag from the glass ceiling of the library's south entrance -- saying the flag made a political statement and that the library should welcome people of all beliefs.