I am a bad, bad, bad little Troll

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by K.S., Feb 20, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. jmcurry

jmcurry The Insider

Texas has a habit of doing that. They let go of Silber in the 70s, and he ended up at Boston University, completely transforming that school into a serious academic institution, with a large endowment. Berdhal's arrival at Cal reinvigorates me as an alum. It can only bode well for the school as a whole.
  2. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Burdhal is a rare gem in academia: an administrator who seems to understand the needs of students and put them first. He is sorely missed here and his replacement is... inadequate. The regents did a fairly good job of disassembling the upper administration in Austin in a very short period of time... what a frustration when it was happening!

Ah well, Texas's loss is Cal's gain.
  3. K.S.

K.S.

I just read a really heartwarming little article over on SFGate.com:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2001/02/26/SP135965.DTL

I met Chancellor Berdhal when I was at Cal, and I really liked him. This article reminded me of how much I admire him. (I'd forgotten that he left Texas because they were putting millions into the football stadium at the same time faculty pay was frozen.)

I'm even willing to admit that, yes, we'd do well to emulate Stanford. Here's a funny editorial commentary on it:

http://espn.go.com/columns/ratto_ray/1111679.html
  4. BigWaves

BigWaves

Was I on to something???

Guess my thread a few weeks ago on the NYC board wasn't so off base about wanting a lady to know a little about sports.
    Glad some ladies are making the effort!

As far as who I'll be rooting for come March Madness, well, I'm a Hoosier through and through!
    GO IU!!!!!

PS-For any other RMK fans out there, look for him to resurface next year, with UMass as the leading contender.
  5. K.S.

K.S.

Nope, not Iverson. My BF is 10,000x more fabulous than that, though certainly nowhere near as rich! LOL!

Well, it was a good basketball weekend for me. I saw Penn stomp all over Harvard, and Cal won both games this weekend. I watched three pro games, as well.

My quest to become a real basketball fan is going well. I have been going online and reading all sorts of stuff to try and understand things. I literally started out at the NBA site, reading the rules and stuff. I've found some good sites that explain things in a remedial way (A "Spectator Sports for Dummies" would be great...). This has all been paying off pretty well. Yesterday, I understoond what the announcer was talking about when he said "That was just a split second away from being a backcourt violation!"

My boyfriend laughs and scoffs when I tell him that, by this time next year, I will know EVERYTHING about basketball. I have to admit - it's hard to take me seriously when I'm constantly going "What?! What happned? Who fouled?" I NEVER see these fouls, but everyone around us seems to be able to... sigh...

Edited to say that I very much admire HornDogBuddha for removing his SAT scores from his post above. It's hard to resist bragging sometimes, but it's best to I guess.

[Edited by K.S. on 02-26-2001 at 02:21 PM]
  6. Ash

Ash

See, her boyfriend is Allen Iverson
  7. K.S.

K.S.

Well, when I was coming out of HS, I was grateful for the ACT - my grades stank, but I had good test scores.

When I went to Berkeley, it didn't matter at all, as I was transfering from a JC.

I just don't want Cal to drop its standards in a way that can harm its reputation. I'd rather that the school maintained rigorous standards than tried to help everyone who needs an education. There are other schools that do that, for cheaper (Cal State system). Isn't that a terrible thing to say? LOL! Sorry.

Well, I hope Cal wins tonight against Washington State. Meanwhile, I'll be rooting for the Quakers against Harvard!

Oh! And I get to go to my FIRST professional game on March 9 - against the Atlanta Hawks, which is going to be interesting after the trades we've just made.

LOL - I told my BF that I was going to become a basketball EXPERT by this time next year and he scoffed. OK, so I still have to ask stuff like "So, what is an assist, anyway" but he has NO IDEA what I can do if I set my mind to it. I will become a statistics-spouting pain-in-the-ass ├╝ber fan. :)
  8. jmcurry

jmcurry The Insider

That they are, SB. "I write, therefore, I am."

But the entire UCAL system may do away with any consideration of test scores in future admissions. This can only be a positive. Too many tutors, too many SAT classes; they only help students learn to take the test. They do nothing to aid in the development of better, more intelligent or analytical students.

And, considering sports, athletes at most high powered football or basketball programs, are not subject to SAT scores. Even my alma mater, UCAL-Berkeley, waives that requirement, if an individual can contribute in an athletic arena.
  9. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

HDB,
    I'd have to disagree. Apperently they are a good predictor of writing interesting posts on internet hobby boards.
  10. HornDogBuddah

HornDogBuddah

SB: I am living proof that these scores mean nada in real life. (Editing note: Posting my SAT scores was a dumb idea -- brain spasm #4,635,987.)

[Edited by HornDogBuddah on 02-24-2001 at 12:49 PM]
  11. justme

The SAT is absolute crap. Sorry. Meaningless crap. God awful horrible crap. Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap. God I hate that test.
  12. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Hey, don't knock the SAT's. It's probably the last thing I did that I was in the top .1 percentile of anything...
  13. justme

KS - be carefull, my ex gf started watching bball only when it became aparent that I wasn't going to stop, and now she's more passionate (last time I checked) about the game than I am.

Regarding recruiting an athlete vs recruiting a student who plays sports... agreed, but I think that this is a distinction in the heads of academic administrators and kids more than anyone else.

Colleges as incubators: Pro sports are a business, I don't think it's unreasonable for a business to expect its professional employees to have a college aducation. The job of an athlete extends well beyond the field and court as they become spokesmen for the business itself. Just looking at the NBA we see that when players come strait from h.s they seem to have a higher incidence of immaturity (surprise), instability (surprise), and lack of respect for authority (surprise). In fact, it's becomming such an issue that the NBA is talking about requiring kids to attend at least a little college. Beyond that, I think it's a horrible idea to give a $20M check to some 18 year old kid especially if that kid hasn't had much of an education. As far as that last bit about the SAT, I'll take it by 'SAT' you mean a slew of rigorous academic standards which truly measure an individuals ability to suceed in college and are especially better at this measurement than a stupid test that time and time again has been shown to be a measure of family income more than anything els, OK?

Schools need money, agreed. But should a school sacrafice its long range vision and academic integrity in the pursuit of funding for its long range vision and academic advancement?

I have no idea what Cal's donations look like, but around here alumni give tons to UT and Texas A&M which are both less expensive than Berkely. Maybe you guys just graduate too many academics who don't make any money... Stanford has a hell of a business school to get donations from, right? (to be clear this is mostly said in a joking tone)
  14. K.S.

K.S.

Horndogbuddah:

Oooooh! You've NO IDEA how strong the temptation to brag about my fabulous boyfriend is right now.

Cal beat Washington, at least. Thank God.
  15. HornDogBuddah

HornDogBuddah

It is extremely difficult to succeed in just about any varsity sport at an academically rigorous school while carrying a "serious" major. No, I am not talking about hockey players at Cornell who major in Canadian geography, I'm referring to, say, an engineering or science or math major at a highly selective school who is a starter on a major sports team (baseball, hoops, or football) or even swimming, gymnastics, soccer, hockey, etc.

Student-athletes who are successful academically (e.g., able to go on to graduate or professional school) are to be greatly admired -- relatively few people can do it.
  16. K.S.

K.S.

First, a disclaimer: I have only recently begun to watch basketball. It has been a concious effort, on my part, to become more "guy friendly" by learning to watch sports. I have discovered that being interested in college basketball will make you well nigh irresistable to men.

But, I don't know much about basketball. Yet. I intend to become a world authority on it. And why not?

Oh, and my responses are interspersed within the quotes below, although the font doesn't look like it.

OK:

KS: Yes, that is the issue. I worry that education is sacrificed for athletics at too many schools.

KS: Although, the two or three people I know who were serious athletes in college went to very good schools and were very good students, I think they are not typical.

[Edited by K.S. on 02-23-2001 at 01:47 PM]
  17. justme

where there are no overt athletic scholarships
    Overt being the operative word, right?

Pro sports use colleges as incubators for their athletes
    Much better to leave them to incubate then to pull them out of high school, no?

Alumni care too much about their school's athletic glory
    And schools care way too much about the money that alumni send in based on said glory.

getting a good education as well as having fun playing ball
    And that's really the issue, right?
  18. K.S.

K.S.

I actually have very mixed feelings about college sports in general. I sometimes feel a little ashamed of Cal for being in the Pac-10. I'd much rather be in a league like the Ivy League, where there are no overt athletic scholarships. I enjoy myself at Penn games, even though the level of play is nowhere near what you see with schools like Duke or Stanford play. I feel good knowing that those kids are getting a good education as well as having fun playing ball.

Pro sports use colleges as incubators for their athletes, and that ticks me off.

Alumni care too much about their school's athletic glory, so giving is affected by whether or not they go to the championship/bowl game/whatever.

I wonder if I'd feel better about the whole thing if Cal won all the time at everything? I'm not sure!
  19. One Eyed Trouser Trout

One Eyed Trouser Trout #1 Cowboys Fan

Football players at Northwestern have the highest SAT scores of all college football players....and they had one recent fluke year when they won.

Good smarts and good football don't often go hand in hand.
  20. fishfry

fishfry

GO BEARS!!!!!

I have no idea what you're all talking about on this thread but as it happens I am a graduate of that esteemed institute of higher education, UC.Berkeley, and I can tell you for a fact that STANFORD SUCKS!!!!