If you like intoxicating imports from Brazil, try Cachaca

Discussion in 'Food and Wine' started by elmo16, May 3, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. elmo16

elmo16

Sounds good to me! Just the thing to drink while watching a blu-ray movie on your 60” plasma TV.
  2. Ozzy

Ozzy

Picked up a few bottles of Leblon Cachaca for a new years party. It's made in Brazil but aged in congac barrels for a sweeter essence. Pretty good fucking stuff. Don't know if you'll find it up north, I had to go to the Brazilian area of Pompano to find it.

And Zyr for you vodka drinkers.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  3. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

I like the Jaquin's Blueberry Brandy.
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  4. redleg609

redleg609

Mr WW

I was talking about comparing some rather high end rums to brandy. Is that a problem for you? You don't know traditional brandies from cognac or armanagac?

Anyway, if you enjoy brandies - the alambics from CA or the traditional Spanish, you will notice, at the sipping level, really good rums are similar. Whats really good, I named two above.

(Never tried the Habana Club - is available in the US.)
  5. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Cisco and Thunderbird would've tasted great after my Dad's funeral.
  6. Ozzy

Ozzy

I don't know about gin being a womans drink, but the problem with scotch is that unless it's incredibly good and expensive it usually sucks. And I usually don't care for the best of the best or the most expensive. Like Crystal which tastes like piss, or any french vodka.

After my dads funeral he had an unopened bottle of 80 year Martins that he had since before he went into the army in 1941. It was his last bottle of a case long gone since before I was born and requested we open it after he was gone. That was the smoothest tasting scotch I ever had. My brother and I polished off that fucking bottle that night.
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  7. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

I like Jim Beam (white) too. Prefer it to JD. Yeah, it doesn't have that charcoal smoke aftertaste.
  8. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Who's talking about brandy?

As far as rums go, the aged Habana Club in Cuba is the best I've had. Everything else I've tried falls short. The soil on the island produces the best
    cane (and cigars, of course) and the rum is amazing. Much better than those Bajan rums.

IMHO, Barrillito, the Puerto Rican Dark rum is better than Meyers's and very moderately priced.
    Last edited: May 26, 2006
  9. redleg609

redleg609

Ah - Not Quite

There are any number of rums that are closely equivalent to good brandy. The older Barbancourts, Planter Gold XO. And then there are the Dark Rums - Meyers, for instance, that are rather good. And if you can find it, they a Lemon Hart 151 neat.

No girlee drinks here.
  10. elmo16

elmo16

I once drank a 24 year old single malt Scotch that must have cost at least $200 a fifth.

It tasted real smooth, without that annoying smoked taste, almost as good as Jim Beam Bourbon that cost only $18 a liter.
  11. elmo16

elmo16

To me Scotch tastes too much like leather or tobacco because the mash is dried in a smoke house like leather is cured, and of course, tobacco is smoked.

If you like cigars, or chewing on leather then I guess Scotch is the way to go

When I want whiskey, I drink Bourbon, good old Kentucky sippin whiskey Bourbon.
  12. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

All rum is too sweet. And stop mixing it with Coke, which is all sugar.

Look, rum is for women and for queers who drink tropical mixed drinks with umbrellas and crushed ice and think about deep throating cock on South Beach. Unless you're buyng it for some poon like Ozzy, forget cachaca.

My father once told me "Son, scotch is for men and gin is for women." There are two kinds of men: those who appreciate a good sipping scotch and those who don't. Be the former. Drink scotch.
    Last edited: May 25, 2006
  13. elmo16

elmo16

Yeah I like 51. Pitu is a bit too sweet for my taste.
  14. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Buy one bottle of that and a bottle of the cheap rotgut cachaca to pour over her tits.
  15. Ozzy

Ozzy

Went to ABC liquors in Miami yesterday and the only brand of Cachaca they carry is Pirassununga "51". Had to pick some up for a Brazilian I have coming over this weekend and gave it a try straight.... Niiiice! Tastes a bit like shine.
  16. elmo16

elmo16

I think you've had enough cachaca for a while!
  17. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

I likes it when you make the purrty green colors.

I likes it a whole lot.
  18. Ozzy

Ozzy

19. elmo16

elmo16

Try cachaca and Coke, it tastes better then Rum and Coke to me.
  20. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Caipirinhas should be chilled ice cold, not on the rocks. Actually, they make a caipirinha with vodka. It's called a caipi-vodka. Try it.