If yuo made a six figure salery...

Discussion in 'Hall of Fame' started by Waist Product, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

2. alterego

alterego

That 1870's show...

That's what you think. Did you try getting a table at a decent restaurant during the Paris Commune?

æ
  3. jseah

jseah

That wouldn't work.....the war wouldn't last long enough to deplete resources.....
  4. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Well, I mean we can get involved at the very end when the resources of the countries already involved are stretched thin and depleted.
  5. alterego

alterego

Don't get your hopes up: I think the last time this happened the Prussians were surrounding Paris.

&aelig;
  6. justme

Re: Re: Re: yeah....what he said

You can cook the books all you want, but in the end you better have some positive cash generation.
  7. justme

Well, to be perfectly accurate, we need a large scale war that we're not involved in. So that when the production capacities of the belligerant nations are reduced, we can step in and sell them goods.
  8. alterego

alterego

Too cold. I root for somewhere warm and small, like Tahiti.

&aelig;
  9. jseah

jseah

maybe we should invade Canada........
  10. pjorourke

pjorourke Thinks he's Caesar's Wife

Nothin like a good war to get the economy roaring again.
  11. pjorourke

pjorourke Thinks he's Caesar's Wife

Re: Re: yeah....what he said

There are lies, damned lies, and then there is accounting.
  12. jseah

jseah

the engineer would design the taco to be tasty, good for you, crunchy, yet hold up so it wouldn't break apart on the first bite......

the beancounters in accounting would strip down the taco, use cheaper ingredients, and lessen the quality in the pursuit of lower costs and higher profits.....

sales and marketing would tell you that it is a hamburger....
  13. alterego

alterego

I hate it when they fall apart after one bite...

But hopefully the tacos will be better constructed.

&aelig;
  14. justme

It also doesn't count underemployment, so if you have an engineer handing out tacos in a drive through, he's counted as employed.
  15. jseah

jseah

It is undervalued because they don't count unemployed people that are no longer on the rolls into the unemployment numbers....so while the unemployment percentages is low, it doesn't account for the thousands of jobs that no longer exist, or has been moved overseas.
  16. justme

It also led to corporate governance reform, stricter reporting standards, as well as laws greatly limiting the behavior of financial institutions.

Good stuff in my book.

(The economy is bad right now, though (although it does seem to be recovering). Across the board I see companies with revenue drops of 20% - 40%. Unemployment is reaching very high levels (and that statistic is dramatically undervalued by the government). I've never known so many unemployed people. Real salary growth is off.)
  17. jseah

jseah

apparently the issue of job security is starting to lessen, since people are starting to spend money again......Tiffany posted sales revenues higher than expectations......
  18. jseah

jseah

if you look at the historical context.....

it was the last 'severe economic collapse' in '29 that caused a radical shift in the federal government, which brought about the introduction of the federal deficit, personal income tax, social security, the various 'social' programs that was geared to get people working and earning money (built Hoover Dam, the TVA, Golden Gate Bridge, etc.)

and economic recovery really didn't come around until WWII started, with hundreds of thousands of men becoming soldiers paid by the U.S. government, and women and the remaining men being employed by factories churning out ships, tanks, bullets, bombs, etc.
  19. Wwanderer

Wwanderer Kids, don't try this at home

But people do get the two confused. A friend of mine was bitching and moaning to me the other day about how terrible the economy is. When I pointed out that he had just bought the most expensive car he had ever owned in his life, it sort of stopped him in his tracks. As we sort of talked through why he thinks the economy is so bad, it became clear that he was not acually hurting financially at this point; he is just very worried about a bunch of stuff, including the security of his job. (Not worried enough to refrain from buying the car though, apparently!)

Of course, the bad news is that general expectations are very easily become realities in economics...the ultimate self-fulfilling prophecies.

-Ww
  20. justme

Of course.

(But I'd be lying if some of the things that trouble me about the long term prospects of the American economy weren't exactly what prompted me to post the 'severe ecomonic collapse' ammendment to my revolutionary rhetoric above.)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.