Internet Security

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by Thorn, Feb 8, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Thorn

Thorn

It wasn't this Curious.

Slinky isn't a "prying eyes" webmaster. I define those as one's who use your IP and other info to try and find out personal info on their posters. I have never known Slinky to use IP info other then for managing the board.

Trust me... if you get to know any of these guys, they have no problem letting you know all manner of personal info [with rare exceptions]. Slinky knows what he knows about folks because they have told him. Not from poking about with their IP's and other web gained info.

No... it was the posting of my e addie for the purposes of creating a link that violated rule #10 with which I shot myself in the foot.
  2. curious

curious

Thorn, ya big lug, didn't you listen to what Jim Croce used to say?

Well, you don't tug on Superman's cape
    you don't spit iiinto the wind
    you don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger

and you don't mess around with Slinky...
  3. Thorn

Thorn

P.S.

I do notice a slight proformance hit when loading pages that have certain aspects, like form data, such as the response page of this website.

It is minimal on a fast, digital, line like what I am using. I do not know how it would translate on a 56k line. Perhaps someone will let me know.

It is a seven day free trial to try, before parting with any cash.

Wishing well....
  4. Thorn

Thorn

I am going to pass along a little bit of info about a piece of software I have been testing of late.

Now, normally I use "a4proxy" as my tool to cover my tracks while surfing.

Its proxy is fully customizable and allows for many variations besides simply running through and anonymizing proxy to block my IP address. It actually allows me to simply, well for me anyway, spoof my IP [I have it show that of a well known broadband carrier, when in fact I am on a T1 with a static IP... one of the reasons it is important to spoof it, as it is very tracable otherwise].

Now I can whole heartedly recommend 'a4proxy' but the fact is that it is a bit cumbersome for the average user. You actually have to know a little something about how this all works to set it up properly. It doesn't work 'out of the box". It must be configured.

However, this new bit of software I have been working with, called "Primedius Web Tunnel" seems to be quite the real dea and works right out of the box [though it is customizable enough for a power user to take advantage of several tweaks].

It won't do what 'a4proxy' does and allow you to spoof an address and adjust bits in the headers to spoof other information about your packets, but it will route all your web page requests through what seems to be a very good anonymizing proxy and thus block your true IP address from prying eyes and webmasters.

Not only will it do this, it allows you [listen up JL, this means you... and other's like you] to do so though an encrypted pathway tunneled though a firewall.

What this means is that you can use this on your system at work to tunnel though the firewall to websites EVEN IF THEY HAVE BEEN BLOCKED and there is NO WAY I.T.S. is going to know what you are up to or what websites you have visited.

It also has a good cleaner that tidies up after you so that the local HD and OS settings don't leave any traces of what you have been doing while online.

www.primedius.com

Give it a look if you just want to protect your privacy while on the web, or if you are looking for a way to get past the corporate firewall with impunity.

[note: I am in NO way connected with primedius and profit by my comments not one farthing. I only pass the information along for your entertainment pleasure. All opinions are my own and I don't know squat, so why are you listening to me anyway.]