It was bound to happen

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by Slinky Bender, Dec 29, 2000.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. fletch

fletch Voice of Reason

Other than the obvious public nuisance of street prostitution, I don't believe there to is any real detriment to our society caused by the hobby.

[Edited by fletch on 12-30-2000 at 11:14 AM]
  2. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

It reminds me of a story a couple of years ago that was really blown out of proportion by NY Magazine. For some reason, all the phone service at 61 Jane Street ( West Village High Rise Coop ) went out one evening. A guy from the building went to use the pay phone on the corner and was shot dead. The papers started to run stories like "Wild West" and such BS. New Yok Mag even ran this article where they claimed that there were drug dealers swarming the area with - get this - Pit Bulls with their vocal chords surgically removed so that "you couldn't hear them coming". Of course, there was much blame placed on the sex workers in the area and the "sex clubs' there.

The cultprit was a homeless man who had been a problem in the neighborhood for years.

And fletch, my point was exactly the same as yours. The only "excess" question was: "Does anyone believe that our 'hobby' causes any collateral societal problems".
  3. fletch

fletch Voice of Reason

That's the coy bullshit the American media always plays with anything related to sex. Why is the strip club even mentioned? The story to me should read:

Killed For Being On A NYC Sidewalk

A 33 year old man was killed today when another man punched him in the head, causing him to fall and strike his head on the pavement. The attack was apparently completely random.

Instead the story has been:

XXX CLUB murder

A 33 year old man was killed today after spending an hour in a STRIP CLUB. He was a weekly regular at this NYC STRIP CLUB. The manager of the NY DOLLS ADULT ENTERTAINMENT CLUB said "He was a nice guy who never bother anyone. Just came into our STRIP CLUB for about an hour every week and watched our NAKED DANCERS gyrate suggestively."

I may be exaggerating, but I distinctly remember reading the story and knowing 1) the guy was in a strip club 2) the strip club was Ny Dolls 3) he was a weekly regular - all before I knew what actually happened. I had to carefully re-read and check another story to find out that the incident had NOTHING TO DO with NY Dolls. There was no fight beforehand inside. The murderer wasn't in the club and the murder happened outside the club. So, seriously, what the FUCK?!? What school of journalism is this? If the guy had just come out of a duane reade would they have been in there interviewing the manager to find out what brand of deoderant the guy buys? Of course not. But anything with the suggestion of SEX in it has to be exploited. To the max. Gotta sell those extra fifty copies of the paper. I'm sure the poor fuck's mother was thrilled beyond belief to have her son's VIP membership at NY Dolls as the main topic of discussion at his FUNERAL...

Sorry...ranting...better now.

Now, sb, what exactly was your question?
  4. Slinky Bender

That was my point.....NO !!!!!!!!
  5. fletch

fletch Voice of Reason

Was the guy who hit him even in the club beforehand?
  6. Ozzy

Ozzy

i can actually think of a few faces i'd like to stick my fist in right about now...........does that answer your question.

btw, none of those faces belong to a woman.

[Edited by Ozzy on 12-29-2000 at 09:16 AM]
  7. Slinky Bender

As most of you probably know, our mayor here in NYC has by and large succeeded in "saving" us from the evils of strip clubs. He has also succeeded in convincing a large segment of the population that most of society's ills are deeply rooted in the proliferation of strip clubs ( of course, racial innequality, governamental corruption, etc. really aren't nearly as important...).

Also, recently a gentleman left a strip club ( one of the few remaining ) and when he hit the street, in a random act of violence, a young man stuck him in the head with his first. The man fell, hit his head, and died shortly thereafter ( this is truly a tragedy, which I am not trying to make light of ).

Anyway, here's the point of this whole story: on the subway today, I overheard two ladies "of a certain age" talking about the mayor and his "quality of life" initiatives. During the conversation, they echoed some of the mayor's sentiments, including the "violence associated with these places". Then it happened: one of them brought up the incident as an example of the violence surrounding strip clubs. I wanted to jump in and ask both of them if they were out of their minds.

So, my question is, what do you think of the societal ills associated with our "hobby" ? Does it breed more violence, crime, etc ?