Law Degree

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jasonbuju, Feb 4, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. jasonbuju

jasonbuju

just a quick note of thanks to the feedback both here and also from a couple of folks on wednesday who took the time out between tits and ass to put in a few words.
  2. Fit Bastard

Fit Bastard

ps:

I know what you mean about cutting thru the bullshit. When an opposing attorney sends me a contract knowing my backround he treats me completely differently than if I was a layman. I get amused when you don't divulge your backround and you speak to them on their level but they still treat you like a moron. What assholes they can be. Ever happen to you?
  3. pswope

pswope One out of three

If your career intention is to become a entrepreneur/businessman,where assesment of risk/reward is a key criteria to financial success,then legal training would be extremely harmful. The institution of law,in my experience,is risk averse and designed to immunize lawyers from negative fall out from their advice. While some attorneys transcend this limitation and succesfully unshackle themselves from this type of thinking, the vastmajority I have encountered do not.

If you deign to move up in corporate management,then legal training would not be as harmful and depending upon the industry you work,could be helpful.

As an ex-atty,now garmento businessman, the most useful aspect of my education and experience as an atty,is the ability to parse thru the bullshit shoveled at me by my and the attorneys for the parties I do deals with.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2003
  4. Fit Bastard

Fit Bastard

jason: You don't sound too optomistic to begin with, not a good sign. I went for the wrong reason ie. didn't know what the fuck to do with myself after college. I think a lot of people do it for that reason and I don't think that is at all a valid reason to invest big $ and 3 years of your life. Most of the lawyers I know hate the profession. I know a lot of lawyers who have gotten out of the profession because they either hated it or they had difficulty making a living at it. I'm glad I got out after a brief time in the practice.

cst: I give you credit. Of course, it is a very individual thing. I also fall back on my law degree in dealing with and analyzing certain problems, and that part is good, I admit. I just feel that the benefits do not justify the efforts unless you really have a love for the law and know exactly where you are going with it after you complete your education. Also, why would anyone want to be in a profession with such a poor public image. Lets face it - lawyers are considered by many if not most as being lower than whale shit. IMHO
  5. robnotbob

robnotbob

I've often said that if I had it to do over again, I would have become a C.P.A. Why? See lots of different kinds of clients and businesses, have a positive impact on people's lives, eventually become a rainmaker and have my own firm....

(leaving door WIDE open here)
  6. cst

cst

Do it. You'll be glad you did. I'm almost there myself. I decided to do this about 10 years ago. I may never practice, but the knowledge I gain I find very useful in other areas of my professional life.

BTW, you can go at night. It takes a little longer, but that's really recommended if you work daytime.
  7. sod

sod

Don't do it unless you haven't found something else you're good at.
  8. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Hey, don't blame them because you chose to use your engineering degree to get a job as an engineer with.......
  9. Daniel_NYC

Daniel_NYC

Those are the exact same reasons why I studied to become an Engineer, they left out the low staring salary though(convienently)
  10. howardnotstern

howardnotstern

those are my reasons for hanging out with justlooking at the strip clubs
  11. jasonbuju

jasonbuju

professional development. the professional reputation. The thinking approach.
  12. JackT

JackT

(Can I ask, based on your A and B, why you are even CONSIDERING law school?)
  13. jasonbuju

jasonbuju

its worrying but I might be a client tomorrow.

right now i rather be a student
  14. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

I think you should become a client instead. That's what all the lawyers want to be anyway.
  15. jasonbuju

jasonbuju

I believe that there are a bunch of lawyers out here.

Considering law school but:

A. don't think i will ever practice it
    B. not too thrilled about the 3 years full time. (not working)

any thoughts anyone?