LCD TV advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Daddycool, May 16, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Daddycool

Daddycool

Aren't they big? What are the dimensions of the DLP.
  2. Daddycool

Daddycool

From what I know, not much, if the LCD goes its just a bulb, but when the plasma goes, you just throw it out because all the gases are gone. If I get 6 years out of it thats fine.

I am leaning toward the 45 sharp because it does 1080p. the 40 Sony only does 1080i, not p.
  3. Psychosis

Psychosis

Daddycool I don't know if you are aware of this but a friend of mine that works in my local high end Audio Video store and has done so for 20 plus years told me that both LCD and Plasma TV's are only meant to last a few years. In other words they are more expensive but their picture life range is a lot shorter than a CRT. If I remember correctly and LCD is meant to last somewhere around 7 years and a Plasma around the same on average use. If you have children or SO that watches TV a lot it will last less than the amount said. It makes no difference to me since I upgrade my TV's every 5 years or so but it might make a difference to others in making a decision to go with LCD, Plasma or CRT.
  4. mitchmaxx

mitchmaxx

I know this is all about LCD plasmas, etc... BUUUT I just picked up the Samsung DLP 50" 5087, it is amazing in HD!!! I have had it for a few weeks, and I have never seen a picture like this...the best thing is, you can get one from Tiger Direct, online for like 1499 or something delivered, and NOT a return, or a refurb, a brand new, in the box, like I said, for the money, the best value out there....The design is a little futuristic, it is on a pedestal, but it is a freakin mint t.V.
  5. milkman

milkman

got the 42' plasma from panasonic. reviews i've read claim its the best buy for the price. i got to admit, the hd channels are great but non hd channels seem to be real dissappointing. i've got comcast and the cable guy claims the cable companies are way behind the technology. something about the signal being being diverted and split off in all these different directions or something like that. he says hd's a lot better with sattelite.
  6. RuffToy

RuffToy

I've got a Sony 42" LCD with a Cablevision HD DVR box. Picture is magnificent. Not sure what your price point is but if space allows don't go smaller than 42"
  7. Daddycool

Daddycool

From what I have read and the advice I got was that the Sony 40in Bravia was very good and the Sharp 45 in Aquois are the best out there right now for LCD.
  8. FlipMo

FlipMo

So if you had to buy a LCD TV today, and you dont want to spend more than you have to... which LCD TV would you buy today?

The reason I'm asking is that I've been in the market for a new tv and I was considering buying a SONY WEGA 32" TV. But with the influx of LCD and PLASMA tv's, I'm reconsidering buying the WEGA, and might go for an LCD instead.
  9. fortydog

fortydog

Thanks Ace...found it...1080i....Must have been on already...no 1080p (but i expected that)
  10. Ozzy

Ozzy

New generation plazmas are better in regards to 'burn in'... LCD's will usually have a few dead pixels and there's no warranty for as many as a dozen or less (depends on store and state). You got 10 dead pixels and your stuck with a pretty fucked up TV set. DLP or HD-ILA are much better options right now... Also the rush to get HD is over rated cause your still a few years from true HD without all the hassles involved right now between cable companies and converter boxes and standard DVD players which aren't even in HD.
    In two years when HD is more uniform, the TV's will be worlds better than now.
    Last edited: May 18, 2006
  11. aceofclubs26

aceofclubs26

12. aceofclubs26

aceofclubs26

I don't remember exactly because the setting pops up the first time you install your box. I think you could access it again but pushing some combination of the a and b buttons or the b and c. If I still have the unit's manual, I'll try and check it out and post back.
  13. fortydog

fortydog

Ace, where is the setting on the box to set the resolution? I did not find it.
  14. aceofclubs26

aceofclubs26

Go to cablevision and see if you could exchange your box. I just got the HD DVR box and it had 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc. You could manually select which ones you want the box to.
  15. fortydog

fortydog

I think 1080i will be around for a few years. I think my HD cable box is only 720p and I dont see cablevision changing out this box anytime soon.

The magnitude of the difference between 1080i and 1080p is not the same as going from standard tv to HD. So you probably wont miss much. Also, the HD-DVD war has not been won or lost yet so any HD-DVD equipment may be a loss.

I dont have any regrets right now and spent the $ I saved by not going 1080p on a nice sound system to go with the TV.
  16. justlooking

justlooking

(empasis added)

But on the other hand, why pay more than a thousand dollars (and maybe more than two thousand dollars) for something that you KNOW is going to be less-than-top-spec within the expectable life of the product? (I say this as someone who bought a 1080i TV a few months ago and already regrets it, cuz I can see the future coming.)
    Last edited: May 16, 2006
  17. Daddycool

Daddycool

Thatt is also one problem I have with the Sharp. It says 1080p nat res but reviews say it isnt true. So I don't know what the real answer is and I am certainly not going to trust a saleman.The Sony says it can only do 1080i.
    Last edited: May 16, 2006
  18. Daddycool

Daddycool

I am a little about the terms..you mean 1080p native resolution, right?
  19. fortydog

fortydog

You pay alot extra for 1080p and I dont think alot/any content is available right now for it. But if you have the money go for it.

I just picked up an LG 37" (37LC2D) and am very happy with it.
  20. justlooking

justlooking

Try to make sure you get something that's 1080p instead of 1080i.